gaggling with migratory birds

Old May 9th 12, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
4Z[_2_]

Default gaggling with migratory birds

Beyond the common sense of flying around big birds, here are a few
tips on flying with raptors:

1) Approach raptors from below or beside. It is a perceived threat to
sneak up on them from behind (they have forward binocular vision) or
from above (where a rival raptor or eagle would initiate an attack
from).
2) If you avoid scaring or ****ing off the raptor, you may find
yourself with a flying partner for a few minutes, and it can be a
rewarding experience. I've "team flown" with a red tail in formation
once after properly getting acquainted with it.
3) Be careful with California Condors- they can be clumsy birds when
young. Don't approach closer than you would a low-time glider pilot.
4) Large undulating swoops by golden eagles are a territorial display.
If you see this, give the eagle some room. I saw one pounce on the
horizontal stab of a glider in Montana once that failed to heed its
display.

Sounds like some biologists have been overzealous or uninformed, but
that doesn't mean that glider pilots have been completely clean here.
If you give springtime nests an appropriate berth and make sure you
aren't harassing them, at least you will have done your due
diligence.

Chad
PS. the overwhelming majority of raptor conservation is accomplished
through volunteers, non-profit organizations, zoos, and foundation
grants, not taxpayer dollars.
Old May 9th 12, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rk

On 9 touko, 08:52, 4Z wrote:
Beyond the common sense of flying around big birds, here are a few
tips on flying with raptors:

I would like to offer a tip to all of you. There was an accident last
autumn in Spain where DuoDiscus was flying close to a griffon vulture.
It collided with a tip of the elevator, instantly ripping the whole
elevator and half of the vertical tail surfaces off. Both pilots
jumped, but as they where flying over hill top the altitude was too
low for opening parachutes. So, my tip is: keep some distance, bird
collision can kill you. Go to zoo if you want to spot birds close by.
Old May 9th 12, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

At 03:12 09 May 2012, Tony wrote:
And cats are major culprits, too, far more birds killed (though

with
different demographics) than wind turbines.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to

".us" to
email me)

only tweety birds though, and they aren't protected as migratory

species.
plus there is no proof that it was the cat because the tweety bird

only
tawt he saw a puddy cat, he wasn't sure.

I'm afraid my cat brings me "proof" every few days. At least I
assume that's where the small piles of feathers come from...

Old May 9th 12, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

In my experience - Most birds are unconcerned about the glider.

However, especially when flying in the mountains it is easy to intrude
on territories and get near nests or roosting sites. Many of the bigger
vultures and eagles get somewhat upset if you do this.

I know of at least three vulture / glider collisions in the last 10
years in South Africa. These are endangered birds, so zero would be a
lot better number. Especially as they are big and hard enough to cause
substantial damage, and potentially endanger our life.

Personal rule is to see and avoid - I will only join vultures well below
them. If they come and join me that is wonderful, and I have had the
pleasure of flying with loads of swallows, the odd Hadeda Ibis, lots of
Cape White-backed vultures, a Tawny Eagle, a Gymnogene and a Bearded
Vulture...
Some birds - for us the Bearded Vultures and black eagles get very
aggressive and territorial - best to avoid for conservation,
consideration and safety reasons. The one I flew with came and joined me
and a couple of smaller vultures in the "only game in town" thermal in
the flatlands.

A great memory and privilege. But not to be actively sought out - we are
the intruders in their space and should be respectful. Let the bird make
any advances - That way we get to retain the privilege of flying in the
protected spaces, because we do not make noise, and scare the locals...

Unfortunately the uninformed, insane, random rule making will continue -
and we need to be careful. Notably the local National Parks guys
randomly imposed a rule that "no aircraft" was allowed to overfly any
part of the conservation area at a "height" less than 2,500 feet higher
than the highest point in the conservation area. Similar reasons of
disturbing the peace, and scaring the birds given. similarly no distance
measuring method was advanced. This of course makes it quite difficult
to operate legally from the runways inside these areas. Let alone to fly
the mountain ridges...

Fortunately some sense has prevailed, but it is not over yet. I doubt it
will ever be over. Only hope is to keep it under control.

Bruce
--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old May 9th 12, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 5/8/2012 11:12 PM, Tony wrote:
And cats are major culprits, too, far more birds killed (though with
different demographics) than wind turbines.

email me)

only tweety birds though, and they aren't protected as migratory species. plus there is no proof that it was the cat because the tweety bird only tawt he saw a puddy cat, he wasn't sure.

Take a look a the Pease (Portsmouth, NH) approach plate.

http://boxav8r.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/pease.jpg

Tony "6N"

F-100 T-Birds Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 0 March 25th 10 01:21 PM
Birds, Birds, Birds! Kyle Boatright Piloting 4 October 30th 07 04:04 PM
The BIRDS Kyle Boatright Piloting 29 March 5th 06 11:50 AM
Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 01:27 PM
T-Birds Big John Piloting 11 September 11th 05 02:50 AM