CNN uses "special software" for KLEX simulation: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Old August 29th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default CNN uses "special software" for KLEX simulation: Microsoft Flight Simulator

See

http://tinyurl.com/j3hy3

This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night. In fact, I tried the
very same thing on my PC last night that CNN is now using in its
highly scientific demonstration today. I didn't mention my experiment
to anyone because I figured people would criticize me for using MSFS,
but apparently CNN has no such qualms.

Old August 29th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Mxsmanic schrieb:

This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night. In fact, I tried the
very same thing on my PC last night that CNN is now using in its
highly scientific demonstration today. I didn't mention my experiment
to anyone because I figured people would criticize me for using MSFS,
but apparently CNN has no such qualms.

Oh, come on, they wanted to avoid to speak out the brand name, so what
should they have said? After all, a flight sim *is* a special software.
What's far more annoying is that they use this crappy Windows Media
Player for their videos instead of an open codec.

Stefan
Old August 29th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Actually, as a software architect myself, I find that PC simulators are
amazingly scientific and "special". Certainly not something that a
small team could do in a year.

-Robert

Old August 29th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:26:40 +0200, Stefan wrote:

Mxsmanic schrieb:

This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night. In fact, I tried the
very same thing on my PC last night that CNN is now using in its
highly scientific demonstration today. I didn't mention my experiment
to anyone because I figured people would criticize me for using MSFS,
but apparently CNN has no such qualms.

Oh, come on, they wanted to avoid to speak out the brand name, so what
should they have said? After all, a flight sim *is* a special software.
What's far more annoying is that they use this crappy Windows Media
Player for their videos instead of an open codec.

Well, while MSFS is indeed a flight simulator, its flight models are not
very realistic. They have a couple of different flight models which each
plane simply tweaks. Now, if they had used X-plane (which has a
certified variant) or an actual 3-axis sim, then I'd be quiet. Until
then, unless they are using it to simply "roll" an aircraft down the
runway...it's more trash and fear mongering from CNN.

Stefan

Greg

Old August 29th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Greg Copeland schrieb:

unless they are using it to simply "roll" an aircraft down the
runway....

And that's exactly what they were doing.

Stefan
Old August 29th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bucky

Mxsmanic wrote:
This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night.

Ha ha. I was laughing when they said "special software" too.

Old August 29th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
City Dweller

It was clearly MSFS.

I am sure CNN executives would find it "unpatriotic" (in a corporate
meaning of this word) to acknowledge that the "special software" being
used is made by Microsoft, the CNN parent company's archrival.

-- CD

Old August 29th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Greg Copeland wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:26:40 +0200, Stefan wrote:
Well, while MSFS is indeed a flight simulator, its flight models are not
very realistic. They have a couple of different flight models which each
plane simply tweaks. Now, if they had used X-plane (which has a
certified variant) or an actual 3-axis sim, then I'd be quiet. Until
then, unless they are using it to simply "roll" an aircraft down the
runway...it's more trash and fear mongering from CNN.

But their goal is not to provide a realistic simulation for the
animator, their goal is to provide a visual to TV.

Old August 30th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Stefan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]
What's far more annoying is that they use this crappy Windows Media Player
for their videos instead of an open codec.

Name one news site that streams video using an open codec.

For that matter, name any open codec that has any significant traction for
commercial web sites.

Old August 30th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Mxsmanic wrote:

See

http://tinyurl.com/j3hy3

This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night. In fact, I tried the
very same thing on my PC last night that CNN is now using in its
highly scientific demonstration today. I didn't mention my experiment
to anyone because I figured people would criticize me for using MSFS,
but apparently CNN has no such qualms.

Yes, that was a hoot when I heard that on the CNN video.

Matt

Stupid Question Crash Lander Piloting 35 July 23rd 06 02:39 AM
NTSB: USAF included? Larry Dighera Piloting 10 September 11th 05 10:33 AM
Flight Simulator 2004 pro 4CDs, Eurowings 2004, Sea Plane Adventures, Concorde, HONG KONG 2004, World Airlines, other Addons, Sky Ranch, Jumbo 747, Greece 2000 [include El.Venizelos], Polynesia 2000, Real Airports, Private Wings, FLITESTAR V8.5 - JEP vvcd Home Built 0 September 22nd 04 07:16 PM
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 TripFarmer Instrument Flight Rules 7 August 8th 03 05:19 PM