Pre Takeoff Checklists

Old March 23rd 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Pre Takeoff Checklists

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:54:23 -0700, Tony wrote:

I am not blissfully unaware of the wind as I arrive at the gliderport
and pull the glider to the runway, but I do like to take the few
seconds to take a glance at the wind sock or yaw string and just
refresh myself on what the wind situation is going to be like for that
particular takeoff.

This is part of the Eventualities in CBSIFTCBE as currently required in
the UK, especially in its winching form. It has several parts. All take
the form of decisions spoken aloud if there's anybody else on board and
mentally if you're flying solo. This makes sure that these decisions are
all fresh in your mind at launch. Decide:

1) that you'll pull off if your wing drops at the start of the launch.
2) your approach speed in case of launch failure.
This is wind dependent, so look at the sock, trees, grass, etc.
3) that if possible you'll land ahead from a launch failure.
4) which way you'll turn if you are too high to land ahead.
This is always downwind and requires a look at the sock.

The same works for aero tow with slight mods.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 23rd 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Interesting that no one references the recommended checklist as posted in
the FAA Glider Pilots Handbook which surely the DPE might reference if the
glider in which one is taking a check ride does not have its' own published
check lists. Many don't.

Oh.. and that placard found in many Schweizer aircraft... is it required? Is
the glider airworthy if it is missing?
But that's another thread.

BT

"Tony" wrote in message
Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. I'm
curious what you use and WHY? What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.

Old March 23rd 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

When I checked out in the RF-4C my instructor told me to start on the
left and go down the left console across the instrument panel, then
down the right console putting everything where I wanted it for that
flight. I do that today, Radio on, volume up, squelch set, frequency
set.....SN-10 on volume set, alt set, MC set, etc.

Before takeoff I use altimeter, belts, controls, communication (with
tow pilot), cable, canopy, direction (wind), e (emergency). ABCCCCDE

For landing I use wheel, wind, water, traffic, flaps (&/or spoilers),
radio (call entering pattern) WWW.TFR

I'm surprised I'm the only one to mention com-check with tow pilot and
radio call entering the pattern, or don't some believe this is a
killer item? Four pilots in region 11 would strongly disagree if they
were still with us.
JJ

Old March 24th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:20:44 -0700 (PDT), Tony
wrote:

Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. I'm
curious what you use and WHY? What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.

In Germany we have an entirely different method to memorize a glider
checklist, based on the method of identifying each item in the cockpit
in a certain order:

- Start with your body
- Then move through the cockpit in a clockwise direction
- Then move outside the cockpit

Which results in this checklist:

1. Body
- Weight
- Tail dolly
- Seating position
- Parachute
- Safety belt

2. Cockpit clockwise, starting on the left cockpit wall
- Airbrakes
- Flaps

3. Instruement panel
- Radio
- Altimeter

4. Cockpit center
- Stick and rudder pedals
- Trim
- Canopy

5. Outside the cockpit
- Wind
- Traffic
- Emergency procedures

I'm not sure if this is a better method, but it seems to work.

In my opinion the advantage of this method is that it is systematic:
As long as you remember to move the head in a clockwise direction and
identify a device in the cockpit, you'll hopefully remember that it's
an item in the check list.

Cheers
Andreas

Old March 24th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

Hopefully everyone uses what works best for them.
Before leaving the house to fly, I have a full page list.
For Pre-take off and landing, written is the only way for me. I can't
remember how to spell actual words let alone acronyms, so I combined
Schliecher's and Tom's, then broke into four parts pasted below:

---Pre-Take Off---
---OUTSIDE----
Tail Dolly
PDA programed
SN10 programed
VL memory cleared
Task declared to VL
M.E.C. installed
Chart in side pocket
Turnpoints in side pocket
Money Clip to side pouch
Phone off, to side pouch
Reading glasses
Sun glasses
Car keys not on me
Food
Camel Back - Closed
Rope, Link, Knots
----PANEL----
Trim at fwd edge of sticker
Illec Set, Vol 1/2
Altimeter Set
Air Vents Closed X3
B-40 off
Radio Freq & volume
-----LAP-----
Unzip Fly
H2O closed & in reach
Belts Tight
Parachute Straps
Trim set
Controls free
Wind Direction
Emergency Plan
----GO TIME----
Canopy locked
Airbrakes @ 1/2 (Left hand)
Thumb-Up (Right hand)
----Pre-Landing----
Undercarriage
Speed
Trim
Altitude
Airbrakes
Look for Objects
Bank Angle
Touchdown-2 point
Stick back on ground roll

Some items are there to guarantee the flight is comfortable and hassle
free. About 1 in 10 flights I go back to get something from the car or
hanger after I'm gridded.

I also have a short "don't leave the house w/o it" list taped to the
fridge, my friends use it to confirm that I'm a dork.

~Barny
Old March 24th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Nine Bravo Ground wrote:
Good lists.

The only things I've forgotten multiple times a

Drinking water (sitting on the hose)
Oxygen (main valve closed)
Sunglasses (left in the car)

They won't cause an accident - but the first two require coming back
to land.

Just in case you haven't thought of this:

* water is a tough one. I've used a clip to hold it out of the way; the
current glider, it just goes in the side pocket.

* invent/devise/whatever a cable/lever/remote electric valve that lets
you open the bottle while flying. I used bicycle cable to a simple
bolt-on lever to the oxygen knob on the bottle in my Libelle. Easy - it
only has to be cracked less than a quarter turn. My other four gliders
had the bottle where a determined pilot could reach back to the baggage
area or beside himself and turn it on.

* buy a pair of sunglasses that _never_ leave the glider (easy for me
because I don't have prescription glasses, but cheez! at least put a
pair of clip-ons in the pocket!).

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old March 24th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 23, 9:01*am, Nine Bravo Ground wrote:
On Mar 23, 7:48*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Mar 23, 8:31*am, Grider Pirate wrote:

On Mar 23, 7:24*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Mar 23, 8:20*am, Tony wrote:

Seems to me that it's been a while since we had a good brouhaha over
pretakeoff checklists. *Most of use use either ABBCCCDDE (or is it
AABBCCDDE? Or ABBBCCCCDDEEFG?) or CBSIFTCB or some other variant. *I'm
curious what you use and WHY? *What have you added or subtracted to
the "base" checklist to fit your specific glider or operation, or to
prevent problems you have encountered.

I personally use CBSIFTCB in all the gliders I fly. After that is
complete I'm OK hooking up the rope, then I review WET (Wind,
Emergency, Traffic) and give the signal to launch.

Ditto the checklist you use, mostly due to law of primacy.

Frank Whiteley

I don't know CBSIFTCB. *I use

A ltimiter
B elts
B allast
C ontrols
C anopy
C able
D ivebrakes
D irection (wind)
E mergency plan

.. and for landing:

F laps
U ndercarriage
S peed
T rim
A irbrakes
L ook
L and

C ontrols
B allast
S traps
I nstruments
F laps
T rim
C anopy
B rakes

W ater
U ndercarriage
L loose items
F laps
S peed
T rim
A irbrakes
L ook
L and

as the eventual migration from USTALL in the late '70's. *Some of the
liturgy of soaring.

Does "Land" mean anything beyond the obvious?

9B

IIRC, in the original USTALL I learned in 1977 the second L (modified
in later club checks) was 'Look again', which is good advice.
Old March 24th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 23, 1:07*pm, Dave White wrote:

*Adding things like "look"
and "land" just garbages them up.

LOOK outside for traffic in the pattern
LANDing area clear of obstructions

I'd place these in the "killer items" list not the "garbage"
Old March 24th 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Mar 23, 11:55*pm, wrote:
On Mar 23, 1:07*pm, Dave White wrote:

*Adding things like "look"

and "land" just garbages them up.

LOOK outside for traffic in the pattern
LANDing area clear of obstructions

I'd place these in the "killer items" list not the "garbage"

Aw come on... I don't believe for a moment that any pilot needs that
on a checklist.

The hazard that does claim lives that might be worthy of "lookout" is
traffic coming in from *other* than the normal traffic pattern.
"Tunnel vision" is easily acquired, shed only through effort and
discipline.

Dave White: like your approach.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 24th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 24, 7:14*am, T8 wrote:

Aw come on... I don't believe for a moment that any pilot needs that
on a checklist.

Than you haven't spent much time in the back seat teaching new pilots
or reviewing experienced ones. Glad we don't have to worry about you!

MM

checklists Private Piloting 5 February 6th 08 12:48 PM
Head wind takeoff into rising hills, or crosswind takeoff to open space ?? P S Piloting 7 September 20th 07 07:29 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. Nyal Williams Soaring 28 January 28th 06 03:30 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. keithw Soaring 0 January 26th 06 02:54 AM
maintenance checklists tony roberts Owning 2 January 25th 05 10:59 PM