IFR in G airspace?

Old August 6th 04, 01:34 PM
Dave Butler

Default IFR in G airspace?

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Dave Butler wrote in
:

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Magnus" wrote in message

91.173 states that you need an IFR flightplan and a clearance to
operate IFR in controlled airspace.

What if you only want to fly around IFR in G airspace for the entire
flight? I don't see why you'd need to get a clearance void time or
anything, you could just takeoff and fly around without talking to
anyone.

You are correct, there's no regulatory requirement to file a flight
plan, or to have an ATC clearance, to operate IFR in Class G
airspace.

Whether this is *safe* to do so is open to debate. You would be very
much relying on the "big sky" theory, along with hoping that no one
else is doing the same thing you are.

OK, I guess I have to jump in with my IFR in Class G story. Sorry if
I've posted this before.

I was in Manteo, NC (MQI) and wanted to go to Hatteras, NC (HSE). Both
are located on the coast and the route can be chosen to be entirely
over water, so that there's no concern about obstructions.

On this day the ceiling was not a factor, but the visibility was below
VFR minima, let's say 2-3 miles. That's not too unusual for a summer
day in this part of the country. With that much visibility, I was able
to keep the shoreline in sight for navigation. I also had a ham
sandwich on board.

I was in the Mooney, and I chose to operate with low power to keep the
airspeed down. About 20 inchees gives me about 120 knots. The lower
airspeed gave me a little more margin for see-and-avoid. I also
broadcast my position from time to time on 122.9, as is the custom
along the NC outer banks. I kept the landing light on.

I happened to be alone, and I think if I'd had passengers, that would
have been a factor in the go/no-go decision. I'm willing to take on a
little more risk when I'm alone.

I guess I could have filed a VFR flight plan, but I didn't on this
occasion. Seems a little odd to file a VFR flight plan for a flight
that's not in VFR conditions, but that would have given me SAR if I
had needed it.

The trip was uneventful, and I'd do it again without hesitation, given
the same conditions.

I am not sure if I understand. 2-3 mile visibility is VFR in class G.

Quite so. This was also pointed out by Bob Moore. The whole thread was a
brain-fart on my part. You may now resume your normal r.a.i programming.