Stalls??

Old February 14th 08, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

Default Stalls??

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:53:53 -0800 (PST), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

Why is it so many pilots are afraid of stalls?

Because stall sounds like death nell.

I see it over an over
when doing flight reviews and checks. Why are pilots so afraid of
flying in the low end of the speed envelope? Isn't that where the
nasty things can happen? Isn't that where a pilot should be
comfortable and competent?
What do you think?

I think you answered your own question.

I think.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old February 14th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

Kontiki
Find an instructor who is comfortable with stalls and spins....there
is the trick! And its a major flaw in the modern training process. How
sad is that?
Best Regards
Rocky

Good point.
Old February 14th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

Blueskies wrote:
Every flight in a light GA single should end in a full stall...right
as the wheels roll on to the runway...Unless folks know how to handle
the plane in a stall, they will not learn to land correctly (I know
this will start the flames!)

I had just started with a Part 135 cargo outfit and was doing the
initial training in a C-402. The check airman asked me for a stall.
I gave him a stall. I thought he and the other new hire were going to
****.

"Didn't you understand I wanted a stall? Give me another."

So I did. Just like before, the plane got pretty mushy and then it
broke cleanly. Once again, I thought they were going to ****. They
were visibly uncomfortable and I had no clue why.

Finally the check airman said, "When I ask for a stall, I expect you
to recover before it actually breaks."

"Well, why didn't you just say you wanted an 'approach to a stall'", I
asked. "What's the problem with doing a full stall in the 402?"

"We hever do full stalls in a twin", he said. The other guy agreed.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't either. Did they pass you BTW?

Bertie

Old February 14th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:53b8656a-fc72-4912-930f-
:

On Feb 13, 5:14*pm, Bill Watson wrote:
Interesting question but I'm not sure that fear of stalls is necessarily
connected with sloppy flying and injuries.

Yea, when was the last time your typical 737 driver stalled a plane,
real or simulated?

I've done it a few times on maintenance checks in the 737 and A300. They
stall just like airplanes with the exception of a natural nose drop. It
still happens, but it's helpful to be a bit more assertive in the recovery.
This is due to the fact the tips tend to get a little more involved in the
stall than the onboard section of the wing. The tips, are, of course,
behind the CG.
In some jets it is verboten to stall, though.
When I was checked out in the ATR 42 it was shortly after the first icing
accident in italy. The crew certification requirement suddenly included
stalls in the airplane. It had a sharp break with a wing drop, but not
worse than some older light airplanes I've flown.
We do stalls in the sim when converting to type, and they tend to let guys
who are new in jets do them in each sim session to get them warmed up ( as
we well as steep turns and what not). They're generally non-events that any
pilot could be familiar with.

Bertie
Old February 14th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

John Smith wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Why is it so many pilots are afraid of stalls?

How many instructors teach their students that it only takes a slight
push on the yoke at the onset of buffet to prevent the stall. Too many
pilots shove the yoke much farther forward (into a descent) than is
necessary.

This past weekend I was doing a BFR for a guy who hadn't flown in a
couple of years. He and I talked about this very thing. He told me
that stalls used to really bother him because his first instructor
taught him to dive as part of the stall recovery. My PPL instructor
taught me the same thing.

When I went for my commercial certificate, my instructor taught me to
lower the nose to the horizon for the recovery. Even better, the
examiner who did my CFI checkride taught me, for power on stalls, start
with slow flight, pull back on the yoke to just enough to get the plane
to start the stall, then lower the nose back to the previous (slow
flight) attitude for the recovery.

So, basically, I learned to do stalls all wrong and they were a little
intimidating. Since then, I've learned some much better techniques that
make stalls less scary than steep turns.

So, to answer the original question: Because too many instructors don't
teach them right.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL-IA, CFI-A, AGI
Old February 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

John Smith schrieb:

How many instructors teach their students that it only takes a slight
push on the yoke at the onset of buffet to prevent the stall. Too many
pilots shove the yoke much farther forward (into a descent) than is
necessary.

While not necessairy, it is'n a bad thing, either. Get that sped up
quickly, and it's much better to drop the nose too much than too little.
Why should a pilot be afraid of a dive?
Old February 14th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Masino

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Why is it so many pilots are afraid of stalls? I see it over an over
when doing flight reviews and checks. Why are pilots so afraid of
flying in the low end of the speed envelope? Isn't that where the
nasty things can happen? Isn't that where a pilot should be
comfortable and competent?
What do you think?

For me, there's no question that it's related to my lingering fear of
heights... even after 21 years of flying. I'll do stalls with no
problems when I'm doing my BFR... I even did spin training when I was a
student, but I can't get passed the sensation that the aircraft is
hardly moving forward. It makes me accutely aware of how high in the
air I am. Having said that, it's never caused much of a problem. I'm
probably the best lander at our airport. I regularly slip all the way
to the ground. I think I'm a fairly precise flyer. I did well on my
Instrument rating. I did well when I did my taildragger transition (in
a Luscombe). I know how to fly the aircraft with precision in the
pattern and avoid a stall close to the ground. I don't think there has
to be a correlation between comfort doing stalls, and being a good pilot.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com

Old February 14th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

(Jay Masino) wrote in
:

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
[...]

If you're flying a Luscombe and afraid of stalls, please stop flying it.
Far too many have been wrecked already.

Bertie

A dumb doubt on stalls [email protected] Piloting 120 June 30th 06 11:12 PM
why my plane stalls Grandss Piloting 22 August 14th 05 07:48 AM
Practice stalls on your own? [email protected] Piloting 34 May 30th 05 05:23 PM
Newbie Qs on stalls and spins Ramapriya Piloting 72 November 23rd 04 04:05 AM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 05:07 PM