gliders in movies

Old March 17th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in movies

Has anyone compiled a list of movies in which gliders appear? I tried
googling, and it turned up some of the obvious names, such as _The
Thomas Crown Affair_ and _The Boy Who Flew With Condors_, but nothing
like a comprehensive listing.

Johan Larson (whose interest in soaring was triggered by a brief scene
in the movie _Wind_)

Old March 17th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jono Richards wrote:
UK Smokin Vid 2004...thats the best one

JR

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Was there a movie titled "Smokin'"
that was released direct-to-video in the UK in 2004?

At 17:00 17 March 2006, wrote:
Has anyone compiled a list of movies in which gliders
appear?

Johan Larson

Old March 17th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A Bridge Too Far, Saving Private Ryan

I know I know, he probably meant only sailplanes, but what the hell.

Old March 17th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Homebuilts count?

Eagle's nest (I think, but I'm not sure)

WW-II Pow's in a castle in the mountians make a two place glider to escape
from an escape proof prison and fly to Switzerland.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 17th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

UK Smokin Vid was a DVD made by some British Juniors...it
involves a mix of competition flying, ridges, wave,
interviews with some of the best Junior pilots we have
in Britain, and needless to say, beat-ups (hence, Smokin!)
It is about half an hour long, but unfortunately they
dont make it any more (sold out!) However, I am sure
if you put an advert on gp.net someone would have a
copy? Or maybe enough interest from the American sector
would ignite a few more copies...

I can honestly say it is the best DVD for gliding I
have ever seen, and shows gliding at its best in Britain.
Really get a feel for it, with in cockpit camera, wingtip
and glider to glider.

Well done to the Juniors who had the initiative to
make this, and do the work necessary to create the
success it is.

JR

Old March 18th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I knew about the movies that having gliding/sailplanes in them that
have already been mentioned (even checked out the video a couple of
weeks ago!)
However, I KNOW that I watched an old B&W movie with Stuart Whitman,
about the glider corp before D-Day in WWII. I have been trying to find
it ever since, any ideas?
micki

Aviation Movies? Dave Burton Piloting 56 June 20th 05 03:19 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM