Lawyers Flying Gliders

Old October 9th 04, 04:24 AM
COLIN LAMB

I am a lawyer. Not doing something because someone may ask for free legal
advice would mean that I would have to stay home and watch television.

On the golf course, someone may ask me a question. I answer it. Of course
when I have a question about something that person is knowledgeable, I ask
him. Generally, my advice is worth no more than his. At the gliderport, a
friend is helping me with the engine of my motorglider. He knows more than
I do about engines. So far, he has not needed any legal advice, so he has
not asked any questions. He has mentioned about all the club members taking
advantage of him, however.

I have found that often the only people who do not get asked questions are
those who do not know very much.

I belong to a number of organizations and sometimes do free legal work or
answer legal questions. However, in all of those organizations, I receive
more than I give.

Colin N12HS

---

Old October 9th 04, 12:48 PM
Graeme Cant

Jim Culp wrote:
Lawyers may keep their professional proclivity low
profile
around gliderclubs,
because glider clubs and pilots ask for
free legal services
(known as advice and opinions and writings, etc)
such as incorporation, faa citation, airport access,
and liability advice, etc. for the good cause...whatever

....snip

Consider, how many plumbers and pipefitters and homebuilders
and car mechanics and glider repairmen can you call
to come do their lifework for free?

Our club hangar (6 gliders and 2 Pawnees), our equipment shed (4 club
trailers, 2 tractors, mower, slasher, roller, plus odds and ends) and
our clubhouse were all built by our tradesmen members helped by the
unskilled labour of many others. A retired LAME does/supervises the
maintenance of the Pawnees. The glider annuals are all done by members
using approvals gained at courses attended in their own time (and paid
to attend). About a third of the tug pilots drive/drove Boeings.

Why shouldn't the lawyers
be asked
to help
too?

Why should lawyers
be free
to gliderclubs?

Why shouldn't
y?

Cheers
Graeme Cant

Old October 11th 04, 08:31 AM
Bruce Greeff

Don't get me wrong - I am doing the soaring for my enjoyment, and one of the
things I enjoy in life is helping others. This means I generally help out and
help others with no expectation of direct or personal return. Advice and
information freely dispensed, hell they sometimes beg me to stop...

That said, I do apply a form of crude behaviorism - people who are completely
selfish and do not pull their weight tend to get lowest priority on things they
want that only benefit them. If it will help to make the club run better I will
help them enthusiastically. Anybody who contributes I will support - the
"takers" get help when it suits me, and I do it for my personal pleasure.

Agree with the part about you get more than you give - even where it is just
knowing you made something better. People can only take advantage if you give it
- in which case give freely, and enjoy doing it.

Bruce