Wanted: 1550 Aero main battery (old tired one OK)

Old September 30th 04, 06:26 AM
Chris Ashburn

Default Wanted: 1550 Aero main battery (old tired one OK)

Hi Folks,

I wondered if anyone in the US has a LiIon battery from an old
dead 1550 lying around they'd like to get rid of for some $'s

It's not my main PDA now, but the 1550 refuses to charge now and
I'm trying to debug if it's the charging circuit in the PDA or
the battery.

A new one from HP would be an expensive way to find out the 1550 is toast.

Thanks

Chris

Old October 3rd 04, 12:38 PM
Ronald

The 1550 charging module appears to not notice the battery if the
voltage has dropped down a certain level.

Kick-start your battery by connecting it for a few min's (start with
30secs) to a normal car-battery charger. If at hand use a voltage
measuring tool to see if the voltage of the battery has increased (or
just put it back in the 1550).

If the voltage is high enough, the 1550 will 'see'the battery again
and will start charging.

Ronald
Old October 3rd 04, 05:21 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ronald wrote:
The 1550 charging module appears to not notice the battery if the
voltage has dropped down a certain level.

Kick-start your battery by connecting it for a few min's (start with
30secs) to a normal car-battery charger. If at hand use a voltage
measuring tool to see if the voltage of the battery has increased (or
just put it back in the 1550).

If the voltage is high enough, the 1550 will 'see'the battery again
and will start charging.

Are there some safety problems with this approach? Putting a car charger
with it's 15 volt output on a battery that normally uses a 5 volt
charger causes me to imagine smoke, flames, and an explosion as a likely
result of things going badly.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 5th 04, 02:41 AM
Tom Seim

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
Ronald wrote:
The 1550 charging module appears to not notice the battery if the
voltage has dropped down a certain level.

Kick-start your battery by connecting it for a few min's (start with
30secs) to a normal car-battery charger. If at hand use a voltage
measuring tool to see if the voltage of the battery has increased (or
just put it back in the 1550).

If the voltage is high enough, the 1550 will 'see'the battery again
and will start charging.

Are there some safety problems with this approach? Putting a car charger
with it's 15 volt output on a battery that normally uses a 5 volt
charger causes me to imagine smoke, flames, and an explosion as a likely
result of things going badly.

That's pretty high. I've done the same thing with a lab supply-took around 5V.
Old October 12th 04, 06:08 AM
ashburn.mail

Yes, what he said!

No way on the 12v into a 5v LiIon battery!
True, there are two way's to blow up those, one running them
completely dead, the other to over charege.

I tried the second by using a higher rating fuse to try a second time to
see if
the first 'blow' was a mistake. I though things were going OK until 2
minutes
later when the smell of toasing plastic alerted me!
The 12-5v transformer AND the 1550 was too hot to comfortably hold!

That's why I thought I'd toasted the charging circuit in the 1500, but even
with an old (2/3rd charged) battery it still wouldn't charge.

The official car adapter from HP gracefully shut down with some internal
current limiter.
The cheapo RShack adapter just blew another fuse.

Oh well.

Chris

Andy Durbin wrote:

(Ronald) wrote in message . com...

The 1550 charging module appears to not notice the battery if the
voltage has dropped down a certain level.

Kick-start your battery by connecting it for a few min's (start with
30secs) to a normal car-battery charger. If at hand use a voltage
measuring tool to see if the voltage of the battery has increased (or
just put it back in the 1550).

If the voltage is high enough, the 1550 will 'see'the battery again
and will start charging.

Ronald

Flashing (a few miliseconds)with a car battery or charger was a
technique that could be used to burn out the whiskers that cause
internal shorts in NiCd cells. The Aero battery is not NiCd but
Lithium Ion. I don't think these batteries have the whisker problem
and I would never connect a high current source to one. I think there
is a significant risk that the battery would explode.

Andy

FS: Aero 1550 GH Soaring 1 September 24th 04 02:59 AM
14 Volt Gel Cell? Joe Allbritten Soaring 32 May 11th 04 01:37 AM
USB to Compaq Aero 1550 Cable Ira Blieden Soaring 1 April 23rd 04 03:12 PM
Battery Chargers Mike Rapoport Owning 11 December 2nd 03 11:55 PM
Becker AR 4201 or Microair 760 Transceiver Steve B Soaring 23 September 15th 03 06:32 PM