Visual coordination of turns revisited

Old February 14th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger[_4_]

Default Visual coordination of turns revisited

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:50:22 -0500, Roger
wrote:

On 12 Feb 2007 12:24:19 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 9, 7:13 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Casey Wilson writes:
Quit making statements like the one above until you go out and DO
IT!!

I guarantee that I would have it down very quickly indeed. I know the types
of coordination tasks that I do well, and this is one of them.

Been in the flight training industry for fourteen years now, and
the above statement is so familiar it's not funny. And after a few

I started flying in 63, picked up the basics quickly and was flying on
my own in a few weeks. Things were different back then, but

Whoa....That was supposed to say "Not necessarily easier" Got a bit to
enthusiastic on the editing.

necessarily easier. Most of the planes had a simpler panel by far and
sometimes the radios even worked. We had to do steep turns at 60
degrees of bank and were expected to fly cross country's with nothing
more than a map, compass, ruler, and watch. surprisingly, we had *far*
more traffic at the lower altitudes in many areas than today. Our
airport probably had on the order of 5 to 10 times the average
movements per day as now.

It was a typical case of starting out flying, a wife, two kids, and a
new home in the country came along and the flying fell by the way
side. The last entry in the log was September 1 st, 1964. The next
entry was October 30, 1987 when I went back to flying with the intent
of getting my license.

When I went in, I talked to two instructors. I told them although I
had been ready to take my cross country in a previous life I had not
flown in over 23 years. I thought we should just start from scratch
and would not be offended if they treated me in that manner. They
said that was fine and which of them did I wish to fly with. I
replied, "Why not both? That way I stand a better chance of having an
instructor available.".

Even now if I've not flown for a few weeks I can feel the cobwebs
gathering. I can tell if I am or am not proficient and I'm not afraid
to admit when I'm not. I also happen to fly an airplane that seems to
be sentient as it knows exactly when and how to remind me.

Procedures I can practice on a sim with or without an instructor, but
that does nothing for my good old airmanship, or proficiency at flying
the airplane.

hours they either realize they're wrong and start listening, or we

Hours? 10 minutes isn't enough?:-))

have to stop flying with them because they're such a threat, failing
to understand that they don't understand. They got their minds made up
and that's all there is to it. Some of them even come back from the
first flight either sick (had no idea what to expect in terms of

After well over a 1000 hours I still have to caution any new
instructor that "I do not ride well":-)) I can do basic aerobatics,
but I still do not ride well. After this long I doubt I'd do the
aerobatics well either. :-))
motion, especially in rough air), or had their tails between their
legs when they discovered they actually couldn't fly. Can't push the
PAUSE button and sort things out.

You mean you are one of those sadistic instructors?

And I expect
that there are many people like me.

Yup. Way too many.

It's an easy and natural task (natural in
the sense that what perception indicates is accurate with default
interpretations).

Easy until you try it.

What do you mean I have to hold heading, altitude, and airspeed all at
the same time? Who'd have guessed that holding altitude IRL within a
100 feet could be so difficult and I have to hold it wile doing steep
turns too?

Dan

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com