Cirrus SR20 Fatal Crash in SC

Old April 21st 04, 04:45 AM
Richard Kaplan

Default Cirrus SR20 Fatal Crash in SC

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...4/21crash.html

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 21st 04, 05:15 AM
BTIZ

why do people post links to newspapers that require you to sign up to read
them... fuhgetaboutit

BT

s.com...

Old April 21st 04, 05:23 AM
Lisa

BTIZ wrote:

why do people post links to newspapers that require you to sign up to read
them... fuhgetaboutit

That's strange, it worked fine for me. I just clicked on the link, and there
was the story at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Here's another article
3 Small Planes Crash in One Day
http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/...69942&SecID=33

Old April 21st 04, 12:51 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Many news organizations require you to subscribe in order to read... Both
Google News and MSN news will post links that run you into that... I
personally will not sign up on any site for any reason - ymmv

Anyway, Lisa's link worked without a sign up and here is my reply to that
article that I emailed to the editor...
Regarding your headline THREE SMALL PLANES CRASH IN ONE DAY...
I have long found it interesting that the mass media becomes hysterical
everytime an airplane crashes, yet resolutely ignores the fact that we
average 110 fatalities in car crashes PER DAY in this country... Where is
the headline story recounting the previous days fatal car crashes across the
country?

Ya, ya, ya , I know - editorial judgement... Bah humbug, more like yellow
journalism..

Dennis O'Connor

Old April 21st 04, 01:55 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Many news organizations require you to subscribe in order to read... Both
Google News and MSN news will post links that run you into that... I
personally will not sign up on any site for any reason - ymmv

As more and more online news sources are going that way my lo-tech New York
Times paper that arrives on my driveway every morning looks better and
better. Lately, between incredible spam and having to register and sign up
for everything, I find myself online less and less.

Clearly, online news and other information has value. However, I believe
many information sources have an inflated sense of what that value is. If I
go to the library and every time I wanted to pick up a paper or magizine
from the periodicals rack I had to fill out a form (like the online ones) I
sure would be discouraged from browsing, yet that what the internet is
coming to.

Old April 21st 04, 02:37 PM
Peter R.

BTIZ ) wrote:

why do people post links to newspapers that require you to sign up to read
them... fuhgetaboutit

BTIZ, next time you encounter this, try www.bugmenot.com. I learned of
this excellent service from someone else in this group. This web site will
give you a proven userid and password for a site that requires log-in.
Here is the article text, thanks to the bogus log-in information from
bugmenot:

---------------------- start quote -------------------------------------

3 Georgians among 4 dead in S.C. plane crash

By RICHARD WHITT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/20/04

A Kennesaw business executive and three of his company's employees were
killed when their small airplane crashed shortly after takeoff from the
Greenwood County airport in South Carolina.

Troy Sufferling, 37, president of Concrete Coatings Inc. of Kennesaw, was
at the plane's controls Monday when it went down in a ball of fire less
than 100 feet from three homes in a subdivision, according to local
officials. Also killed in the crash were passengers Jose Garcia Mareno, 29,
of Atlanta; Manuel Chavez of Dyersburg, Tenn., who died on his 28th
birthday; and Olmedo Ochoa Jr., 31, of Silver Creek, in Floyd County,
officials said.

Greenwood County, S.C., Coroner Jim Coursey said the men were working on a
Piggly-Wiggly grocery store being built in Greenwood, about 75 miles west
of Columbia.

Concrete Coatings issued a brief statement Tuesday confirming that all four
men were employed by the company. However, company officials did not
returned telephone messages left at the office in Kennesaw.

Kelley said Chavez and Mareno originally were from Mexico and Ochoa was a
native of the nation of Colombia. Deputy Greenwood County Coroner Marcia
Kelley said relatives of all the victims had been notified.

A telephone listed for Sufferling's Kennesaw residence was disconnected
Tuesday.

The plane was registered to Attic Aircraft Leasing in Marietta, according
to the Federal Aviation Administration's Web site. Marietta attorney Donald
Mize, listed as registered agent for that company, declined to comment.

Concrete Coatings does coating, decorative treatments and concrete surface
preparation for retail and industrial customers nationwide, according to
its Web site.

---------------------------- end quote -----------------------------

--
Peter

Old April 21st 04, 02:59 PM
C J Campbell

Geez, they tried to call his house so many times that the phone was
disconnected? Then they started harassing his business?

Tell ya what. Whenever a news reporter dies, how about we all organize an
enormous "outpouring of sympathy" and make hundreds of phone calls to his or
her family and ask them how they feel about it? :-/

Old April 21st 04, 04:41 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

when it went down in a ball of fire

Quality journalism...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 21st 04, 04:44 PM
Peter R.

Thomas Borchert ) wrote:

Peter,

when it went down in a ball of fire

Quality journalism...

That statement makes the crash sound like the result of sabotage, doesn't
it?

--
Peter

Old April 21st 04, 05:12 PM
Greg Copeland

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:44:25 -0400, Peter R. wrote:

Thomas Borchert ) wrote:

Peter,

when it went down in a ball of fire

Quality journalism...

That statement makes the crash sound like the result of sabotage, doesn't
it?

It makes me think it was aflame before it ever hit the
ground.