Ventus/Discus proposed AD for elevator?

Old March 9th 04, 01:16 AM
Stewart Kissel

Default Ventus/Discus proposed AD for elevator?

Ran into my friendly A+P, AI today. While checking
for current/proposed AD's for my upcoming annual, he
said he saw a proposed AD for mass ballast from Schemp-Hirth.

I have not heard of this, and will start googling as
soon as I post to ras.

Old March 9th 04, 04:24 AM
Stewart Kissel

http://tdatacorp.com/
It is in the 'Proposed AD' section. Did not see anything
at the FAA or S-H site about this. It appears to be
for Ventus and Discus 2 a's and b's. Pushrods and
mass ballast.

Old March 9th 04, 10:10 AM
John Galloway

At 01:24 09 March 2004, Stewart Kissel wrote:
Ran into my friendly A+P, AI today. While checking
for current/proposed AD's for my upcoming annual, he
said he saw a proposed AD for mass ballast from Schemp-Hirth.

I have not heard of this, and will start googling as
soon as I post to ras.

Stewart,

There is an October 2003 AD for compliance by 31-12-2003
(for European gliders anyway) listed on the SH site.

For example see:

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/serv...lungen/index.h
tml

and:

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/tmdocs/360-20-529.pdf

Is this it or is there another one in the pipeline?

John Galloway

Old March 9th 04, 02:57 PM
Stewart Kissel

No, it appears this is a new one. Due to take effect
25March here in the states. I have a VentusB, so
I am not affected

Old March 9th 04, 03:43 PM
BGMIFF

You can find a Tech letter and the proposed AD at the following link

http://www.mandhsoaring.com/schempp-hirth.html

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...

Old March 9th 04, 05:22 PM
Martin Eiler

Regarding Elevator jamming due to separated balance weights
in applicable s/n's of Discus 2 and Ventus 2 gliders

Schempp has issued technical notes 349-28, 360-20 and 863-8
and the LBA has issued AD 2003-280
Both of these can be viewed on the LBA url at
http://www.lba.de/dokumente/ad/html/...360-discus.htm

The FAA has issued SAIB CE-04-40 for Experimentally
certificated gliders which can be viewed at the FAA url at
http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...o/ad/saibs.htm

The Tdata web site shows FAA proposed AD 2003-CE-59-AD
http://tdatacorp.com/

Although the FAA web site currently does not show a proposed AD
relating to this issue, it is most likely in the works
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

M Eiler

Old March 9th 04, 08:37 PM
John Galloway

The M and H site seems to refer to the same AD long
posted on the SH website and dated 23/9/2003. If,
as Stewart reports, it has only now be become applicable
to USA gliders I guess that means it has taken 6 months
for an AD and Tech notes to be translated from English
to FAA.

I hope that US glider pilots keep an eye on the manufacturers'
web sites for safety related ADs?

John Galloway

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/serv...eilungen/index.

Old March 9th 04, 08:48 PM
Chris OCallaghan

All of this information is already available as tech notes on the S-H
site. If you read the referenced proposed AD carefully, you will note
that compliance is based on these existing tech notes. There's nothing
new here except that the FAA may soon require the fix already mandated
by the LBA.

That is all...

OC