IGC badge calibration

Old May 1st 05, 04:14 AM

Default IGC badge calibration

Heres the senario. I was flying last week and gained over 6000ft off
tow, I have a colibri dl installed, but it is over due for calibration.
If I understand the fai code correctly, I can get it calibrated with in
2 months of the flight and use the flight for my sliver altitude gain,
it would also be a jr altitude gain state record

am I missing somthing

THanks

devin

Old May 1st 05, 04:40 AM
5Z

The flight needs to be supervised by an official observer.

This person certifies that the Colibri and you did indeed make the
flight in the same sailplane. The OO is responsible for ensuring that
all the requirements for the claimed flight were made.

If you didn't follow these steps, then you can still be proud of the
accomplishment, and you have a personal record of this flight. But in
order for the flight to be officialy recognized, all the rules must be
followed. Unfortunately, as in most beaurocracies, it's the paperwork
that counts, while the actual performance is just a small detail in the
process.

-Tom

Old May 1st 05, 04:51 AM
BTIZ

I can only find a reference to Barographs.. if the calibration is more than
one year old.. it must be re-calibrated within 1 month after a flight to use
that flight..I have not found a reference for electronic loggers to be
allowed a 2 month window..

I did find the reference that approved loggers are valid for 24 months after
calibration... but I could not find your 2 month question answered..

BT

ups.com...

Old May 1st 05, 04:57 AM
BTIZ

found... www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc3.pdf
paragraph 4.4.7.b your are correct.. if the colibri is an approved logger..
than you have 2 months after the flight... spring is early.. get your logger
out for calibration now.. so you'll be good for the summer.. and next
summer..

BT

ups.com...

Old May 1st 05, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the conformation

I did have an OO

devin

Old May 2nd 05, 12:15 AM

Devin,

In the US Craggy Aero provides quick turnaround Flight Recorder
Calibration. SSA Approved Category II Lab. Please see
www.craggyaero.com.

Richard
craggyaero.com

Old May 2nd 05, 04:32 AM
ContestID67

So do the rules state how often the device must be calibrated? I just
bought my Cambridge 302 twelve months ago. How soon do I have to send
it in?

I also assume that this applies not only to badge work but also to
contests.

Thanks, John

Old May 2nd 05, 04:37 AM
ContestID67

Found my own answer in http://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc3.=ADpdf
section 4.4.7.

Basically electronic flight recorders are 24 months between
calibrations (before the flight) or 2 months afterwards. The times for
mechanical devices is 12 months and 1 month respectively.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D

4=2E4.7 Barograph calibration period
Barograph calibrations are required to ensure that the measurement of
baro-metric
pressure and time are checked against, and corrected as necessary, to
official standards. For altitude and gain of height records, both (a)
AND (b) cali-brations
below are required, and the least favourable calibration of the two
shall be used making the calculations for the record. For badges, start
height
verification, and altitude difference calculation, either (a) OR (b)
are required.

a=2E PRIOR TO THE FLIGHT
The calibration used must have been performed within 12 months prior to
the
flight or, for IGC-approved electronic barographs and FRs, 24 months.

b=2E AFTER THE FLIGHT
The calibration used must have been performed within one month after
the
flight or, for IGC-approved electronic barographs and FRs, two months.
(AL5)

Old May 2nd 05, 05:32 AM
BTIZ

was it calibrated and documentation sent to you when you bought it?
if not...

BT

oups.com...