Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 22nd 05, 05:47 PM
Mike Weeks

Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

As for the USN, there was awhile back an article in The Hook which
addressed that subject also -- don't recall it being Flatley.

Mike

Old March 23rd 05, 12:17 AM
Keith W

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who
had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

Against all the odds he's still very much alive and well and
gives frequent talks on his career.

Keith

Old March 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Keith W" writes:

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who
had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

For values of "very early history equalling" "the first bloke to do
it".

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions
Old March 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
Guy Alcala

Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
"Keith W" writes:

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who

had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

For values of "very early history equalling" "the first bloke to do
it".

Land on too. A Vampire, IIRR. And then he did the Flexible deck trials. Oh,
and he was one of the very earliest qualified helo pilots in the RN, who did
a lot of early research on vortex ring state in the Sikorsky R-4. IIRR, he
and another RN pilot's initial instruction on flying helos consisted of being
handed the manual for the R-4 by a US Master Sergeant, who then smartly
retired to a safe distance. Come to think of it, ISTR that the other pilot
was Alan Bristow. Brown also deck-landed a P-39, just because he wanted to.
Oh, and he holds the record for flying the most different types of a/c, 487
(that was his total as of 1988). Honorary fellow of the SETP (boy, is that a
list of international aviation royalty, past and present. See:
http://www.setp.org/HTML/Personnel/Fellows.htm )

Fellow and past president of the Royal Aeronautical Society, etc. He's a
small man in physical stature, but not in any other way.

Guy

Old March 19th 05, 10:20 PM
John Miller

Since the thread's dragged out a bit now, I wonder if I've got the
fewest of anyone here who has any traps at all, with two (S2, on the
Lex, early '70s).

Anyone got just one?

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)
Old March 20th 05, 03:34 AM
vincent p. norris

Since the thread's dragged out a bit now, I wonder if I've got the
fewest of anyone here who has any traps at all, with two (S2, on the
Lex, early '70s).

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training? When I was at Pensacola,
1049-50, the last phase in Basic (before going to Corpus for
Advanced), was CQ, which ended with 6 traps aboard USS Wright or
Cabot. That was in SNJs, in those days.

vince norris
Old March 20th 05, 11:37 AM
Allen

In article ,
vincent p. norris wrote:

Since the thread's dragged out a bit now, I wonder if I've got the
fewest of anyone here who has any traps at all, with two (S2, on the
Lex, early '70s).

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training? When I was at Pensacola,
1049-50, the last phase in Basic (before going to Corpus for
Advanced), was CQ, which ended with 6 traps aboard USS Wright or
Cabot. That was in SNJs, in those days.

vince norris

1049? Man Vince, I knew you were my elder but wow!

Allen
Old March 20th 05, 03:44 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:37:50 -0500, Allen
wrote:

In article ,
vincent p. norris wrote:

Since the thread's dragged out a bit now, I wonder if I've got the
fewest of anyone here who has any traps at all, with two (S2, on the
Lex, early '70s).

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training? When I was at Pensacola,
1049-50, the last phase in Basic (before going to Corpus for
Advanced), was CQ, which ended with 6 traps aboard USS Wright or
Cabot. That was in SNJs, in those days.

vince norris

1049? Man Vince, I knew you were my elder but wow!

Preparing to support the invasion force of William the *******, no
doubt!!!!! ;-)

Bill Kambic
Old March 22nd 05, 02:58 AM
vincent p. norris

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training? When I was at Pensacola,
1049-50

1049? Man Vince, I knew you were my elder but wow!

Preparing to support the invasion force of William the *******, no
doubt!!!!! ;-)

Damn! That's the second time I've done that in just a couple of
weeks!

But with a name like Norris, derived (I'm told) from "Norseman," I
suppose I would have been on Bill's side, not Harry's.

vince norris
Old March 20th 05, 12:30 PM
John Miller

vincent p. norris wrote:

Didn't you have to CQ in flight training?

Naval Aviators did. I was a PAO (and a civilian pilot.)