Logging Flight Time Question

Old June 13th 04, 05:34 PM
Phoenix Pilot

Default Logging Flight Time Question

Couple questions as it pertains to logging time.

1) What is a way that a person can log time (and what type of time)
sitting right seat in an aircraft certified for single pilot ops?

2) Can a person log the time spent right seat in a pressurized
aircraft without having a High Altitude Endoresement (assuming all
other currency, and endoresments requirements are met)? Or is that
endoresement only required if your going to log PIC time?

For the record, the aircraft in question here is a CitationJet.

I had another pilot friend ask me this the other day, and I've never
been good with endoresements, so I want to make sure I give him the
right answer.
Old June 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 13 Jun 2004 09:34:31 -0700, (Phoenix Pilot) wrote:

Couple questions as it pertains to logging time.

1) What is a way that a person can log time (and what type of time)
sitting right seat in an aircraft certified for single pilot ops?

I assume when you say "logging" you mean for the purposes outlined in
61.51.

I also assume that this person has a private or commercial pilot
certificate and is not acting as an instructor. And that this flight is
conducted under Part 91.

Assuming he is "rated" in the aircraft, he may log PIC time if he is the
pilot flying (manipulating the controls). The seat occupied (right vs
left) is irrelevant. Currency and endorsements are irrelevant.

He may also log PIC time if he meets *all* of the following:
1. Fully qualified to act as PIC.
2. Acting as safety pilot per the requirements of 91.109
3. Agreement with the pilot flying that the safety pilot will be
the PIC (under the definition of PIC in 1.1) for the flight.

If he is rated in the a/c, but not fully qualified to act as PIC, then he
may log SIC time if he is acting as safety pilot per 91.109.

In all cases, a pilot acting as safety pilot requires a current medical.

2) Can a person log the time spent right seat in a pressurized
aircraft without having a High Altitude Endoresement (assuming all
other currency, and endoresments requirements are met)?

See above. The seat occupied is irrelevant.

"Rated" as used above for the purposes of logging means at least a private
pilot certificate with Category and Class (and Type rating if required) the
same as the a/c being flown.