Favorite Aviation Films

Old April 19th 20, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Favorite Aviation Films

Just watched Fail Safe again last night.

Lots of good suggestions listed.

What about Sun ship game, Fine day of Soaring, Cloudstreet?
Old April 19th 20, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 4:14:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had the privilege of getting to know Cliff Robertson a bit. He was chagrined by some of the technically inaccurate aviation stuff he had had to put up with - such as when throttles get pulled back to add power in "Always".

He was most proud of "J. W. Coop" - not an aviation film but decent. He produced it and flew his biplane for it - a Jungmann I think.

Borrowed it from Netflix years ago.

I met Cliff Robertson at a place called Richard's field south of Miami. He was good friend with Dick Neubauer, the owner of the field and one scene from his movie was shot there.
Old April 19th 20, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Lockdown and self isolation continues in Telluride Colorado
What are your favorite Aviation based movies?
A couple of mine are Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix.
Another, made more recently, is Tom Cruise in Made In America, if you haven't seen this its well worth a watch, lotta good flying in there.
Top Gun, of course, is on this list too. Motorcycles, Fighters, smoking HOT women, what more is there to life?
What are some of your favorites?
Nick

Jimmy Stewart made a good documentary on the B58, Hustler. I watched that last night and it was very informative and an impressive bomber that shattered many speed and altitude records held by the Russians.
Old April 19th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 12:56:13 AM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
A bit surprised that nobody appears to have mentioned a most famous soaring pilot who flew the planes in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" "Blue Max", "Darling Lilli", "Chitty Chitty Bang Band", "Villa Rides", "Von Richtofen and Brown" among others, who passed away last year.

A: Derek Piggott

Derek was mentioned in the 10th post for Blue Max.
Old April 19th 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

On YouTube you can watch the television series 12 O'clock High
It ran for about 2.5 seasons.
Free
It is most excellent. The story's are are hypothetical but it was very well written and there's a bunch actors in there that went on to become big stars, Like Burt Reynolds and many others. Sally Kellerman is in a few episodes as a nurse when she was like 21 -gorgeous.
Lotta actual WW2 footage. It really shows how bad those flight crews had it, the odds of finishing your 25 mission rotation were very low, but they kept going up. Brave young men. It vividly shows how tough the decisions were to send crews where and why, knowing it was going to be a bloodbath.
Nick

Old April 19th 20, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Lockdown and self isolation continues in Telluride Colorado
What are your favorite Aviation based movies?
A couple of mine are Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix.
Another, made more recently, is Tom Cruise in Made In America, if you haven't seen this its well worth a watch, lotta good flying in there.
Top Gun, of course, is on this list too. Motorcycles, Fighters, smoking HOT women, what more is there to life?
What are some of your favorites?
Nick

I liked 'The Aviator', the story of Howard Hughes.

Uli
'AS'
Old April 19th 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

The Spirit of St Louis with Jimmy Stewart.
Old April 19th 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

At 18:15 19 April 2020, Steve Leonard wrote:
The Spirit of St Louis with Jimmy Stewart.

How about:-

No Highway - Film based on a book of the same title by Nevil Shute.

Sound barrier - Very heavy in places but very informative.

Both come up on TV from time to time.

Old April 19th 20, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Charlie
I think I was 12 when Fail safe was in the theaters ..it was either right after or before Dr Strangelove so I saw them back to back. Bring back those Cold War years ....!

DC
Old April 20th 20, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

More of a documentary though but one I really like is 'A fighter Pilot's Story' by Ken burns.....truly amazing.

Bob 7U