A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC/ Open Distance meet Odessa Tx?

Old May 6th 20, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default OLC/ Open Distance meet Odessa Tx?

Look up "600 Miles in a 604" about Sherman Griffith's flight from Refugio to Liberal, KS in the 70's.

Up through the 90's I know there was still some straight out flying out of there. Mark Keene won the Barringer Trophy in 1993-ish IN A 1-26 out of Refugio
Old May 6th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Tony, theres no excuse for not flying 600 miles in a 604 lol. As for mark’s flight, that was a nice one. My bird is one which he started a restoration on back in the day before he got burned out doing 1-26’s..
Dan
Old May 7th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 3:17:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tony, theres no excuse for not flying 600 miles in a 604 lol. As for mark’s flight, that was a nice one. My bird is one which he started a restoration on back in the day before he got burned out doing 1-26’s..
Dan

The Soaring Club of Houston would gladly host you guys if you'd like an active club with several tow planes and pilots available. We have lots of good early downwind landout locations and a bunch of us who think it would be fun to make a long straight-out flight. If the weather supports it, let us know!

Chuck Werninger
Soaring Club of Houston
LS-4 VL
Old May 7th 20, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 2:59:51 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Look up "600 Miles in a 604" about Sherman Griffith's flight from Refugio to Liberal, KS in the 70's.

Up through the 90's I know there was still some straight out flying out of there. Mark Keene won the Barringer Trophy in 1993-ish IN A 1-26 out of Refugio

That was Marion Griffith, Sherman's father.
Old May 7th 20, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Doh I knew that
Old May 7th 20, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 2:39:04 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Hey all
I've always been intrigued by Wally Scott and Co and all the open distance flights they did.
Would pilots be interested in having a meet at Odessa or ? and have a OLC contest and then when the stars aligned go for it downwind?
What do you guys think?
I'd sure like to do 700-800+ miles.
Nick
T

Odessa Schlemeyer is under the Class C Midland airspace and no longer a viable glider port due to altitude restrictions. Stanton to the east or Monahans to the southwest would be better airports to start from (hold a x-c camp)
Old May 8th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 4:53:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 2:59:51 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:

That was Marion Griffith, Sherman's father.

And I remember Marion sometimes introducing himself as "Sherman's Father". Such amazing and wonderful people!

645 miles in a 604. February 1982 SOARING magazine.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS
Old May 8th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Well at least I got the 604 right lol