Leader of the free world

Old July 8th 20, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Leader of the free world

On 7/8/20 1:25 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

A lot of the objections are from people who insist on using a web browser
to read news via Google Groups and can't/won't/don't use a proper
newsreader. Thats their choice, but as a result they don't have the
ability to ignore authors and/or threads.

Everyone has the ability to not respond to off-topic crap, which would
help greatly in reducing the pollution.
Old July 8th 20, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 4:30:05 PM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
US to pull out of WHO permanently. Abstention is no way to
demonstrate leadership.

God help us all

No doubt this post will be deleted as politically incorrect....

Thanks for letting us know but I thought the who were English. That blind guy that played arcade games flew a hang glider in the movie so soaring related.
Old July 8th 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 05:01:33 -0700, markmocho53 wrote:

Martin- Which newsreader do you recommend?

I'm using Pan, which has been OK but is now apparently unmaintained - I
raised a bug via Fedora quite a long time ago but Pan hasn't been updated
since about 2017. Its available for all common operating systems (Linux,
BSD, OSX and Windows).

The fault which I raised is that sometimes when you hit 'send' you get
told that you haven't set a posting profile. So, you do a dummy update
(go look at your posting preferences, hit 'Save' without changing
anything, go back to your message and send it, which has always worked
this time round. So, it looks as though it sometimes stomps on its link
to the posting profile store and the dummy update reinstates the link.

Its strong points are that its fast and its facilities for blocking
authors and threads forever, or for a specified time, works really well.

The other really good newsreader I found, back when I still used Windows,
was Forte Agent - fast, nice to use, good author and thread blocking,
andcan stores any messages to tag for keeping locally for as long you
like. Its non-free but has a 30 day free trial period. However, it
appears to be Windows-only, which is a showstopper for me.

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird but didn't like it: its not in the same
league as their Firefox webbrowser. Firebirds GUI wasn't all that
wonderful, but the main problem is that it would periodically clear its
caches and stop working until reinstalled. Not good.

However, with NNTP slowly dieing, decent newsreaders are getting hard to
find.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old July 8th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 06:42:57 -0700, greggballou wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 4:30:05 PM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
US to pull out of WHO permanently. Abstention is no way to demonstrate
leadership.

God help us all

No doubt this post will be deleted as politically incorrect....

Thanks for letting us know but I thought the who were English. That
blind guy that played arcade games flew a hang glider in the movie so
soaring related.

It really matters WHO is WHO, and which WHO you want. 'The WHO', WHO? and
the several plain WHO entities are all unrelated. One WHO is even
occupied by The Real Donald (TM).

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old July 8th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

I'm sorry but I thought Who was on 1st....
Maybe I am just old....
Old July 8th 20, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Read what you want, ignore the rest.Â* What's wrong with that?

On 7/7/2020 8:03 PM, Steve Bralla wrote:
So now it has to be only soaring? Not both ways?

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 8th 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well that's just old fashioned, or is it new fangled, or are they
Luddites?Â* Just wanted to use that word again.:-D

I use Thunderbird as my email client (it's free, don'tcha know, so it
would fit every glider pilot's budget).Â* I created a separate folder for
Soaring and configured that to eternal september.Â* Works just like email
with all the frills.

On 7/8/2020 1:25 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 19:03:02 -0700, Steve Bralla wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 1:52:20 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 7/7/2020 2:28 PM, Jim White wrote:
US to pull out of WHO permanently. Abstention is no way to
demonstrate leadership.

God help us all

No doubt this post will be deleted as politically incorrect....
Ummm (and in no particular order), I'll bite...

- Lemme know when software has "advanced" to the point of scrubbing
usenet servers.

- If you're into lemming-like "leadership", have at it! (This "lemming"
is *happy* we [i.e. the USofA] is abandoning the marxist WHO [if in
fact is; I haven't checked].)

- Please advise how the original post has to do with soaring. Perhaps
I'm missing something.

Respectfully,
Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

When it was guns a soaring we got this.
Dan Marotta Jul 3 Good points, Jon. But why would any post which does
not follow the strict lines of the group's title cause the group to
wither and die? How hard is it to simply skip over those posts which are
not of interest to the reader? I simply right click on a subject which
does not interest me and select "Mark thread as read". Or "Ignore
Thread". Those work every time.

Old July 8th 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 12:02:39 -0700, Mike N. wrote:

I'm sorry but I thought Who was on 1st....
Maybe I am just old....

No - relatively late on the scene, which surprised me.

1964 'The Who' rock band

1930 WHO in the White House, (White House Office).

1924 Radio WHO in Des Moines, Iowa,

Are there any earlier WHOs?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old July 9th 20, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Didn't Horton hear a Who?