Weight of snow on wings

Old December 15th 03, 12:50 AM
Michael Horowitz

Default Weight of snow on wings

Assuming wet snow on the wings of a highwing (Taylorcraft in this
case),

Because of the presence of the struts, I'm trying to visualize if the
spars would be hurt by the weight.

I've viewing the strut attach point as a pivot point. Assuming an even
distribution of snow, the moment around that point would be zero and
no harm done.

are there other forces I should take into account? - Mike

PS - she's tied down so if snow slipped off one wing, the tie-down
would prevent excessive tipping.
Old December 15th 03, 01:35 AM
Del Rawlins

On 14 Dec 2003 02:50 PM, Michael Horowitz posted the following:
Assuming wet snow on the wings of a highwing (Taylorcraft in this
case),

Because of the presence of the struts, I'm trying to visualize if the
spars would be hurt by the weight.

I've viewing the strut attach point as a pivot point. Assuming an even
distribution of snow, the moment around that point would be zero and
no harm done.

are there other forces I should take into account? - Mike

PS - she's tied down so if snow slipped off one wing, the tie-down
would prevent excessive tipping.

If you have snow on your wings you get a push broom and sweep them off...
Problem solved. I took care of an airplane one winter and sweeping the
snow was sometimes a daily occurence, but you wanted to check your
tiedowns anyway, right?

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old December 15th 03, 05:58 AM
Robert Little

I know that 20#/ft of snow collapse most chicken houses in Arkansas and it
can weight up to 40#. It should not be a problem to aircraft, even a
T-Craft. We did watch a derelict C-150 tail fall to the ground and then
jump back up all winter long at the local airport several winters ago. I
guess thats another reason Cessna says to tie the nose gear down too. What
was really interesting is that you could hear the ice blocks bump around in
the fuel tanks all the way across the ramp when it would crash back on its
nose wheel after the snow would slide off the horizontal. The next late
summer, the owner finally went flying without even doing a preflight or
sumping his fuel. You'd be surprized how many eyes are at the little sleepy
airports watching what goes on.

Old December 15th 03, 09:50 AM
Holger Stephan

Michael Horowitz wrote:

Assuming wet snow on the wings of a highwing (Taylorcraft in this
case),

Because of the presence of the struts, I'm trying to visualize if the
spars would be hurt by the weight.

I've viewing the strut attach point as a pivot point. Assuming an even
distribution of snow, the moment around that point would be zero and
no harm done.

The bending moment at the strut attachment point is not null (instead likely
not far from the maximum).

are there other forces I should take into account? - Mike

Yes: shear. It's probably best to forget about all that and resort to Del's
broom approach.

- Holger
Old December 15th 03, 04:34 PM
Michael Horowitz

Holger - airplane is an hour's drive away over uncleared roads; I"d
prefer the broom approach - just trying to see whether or not I should
plan on camping out under the plane during a snow storm. - Mike
Old December 15th 03, 06:08 PM
Larry Smith

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
om...
Holger - airplane is an hour's drive away over uncleared roads; I"d
prefer the broom approach - just trying to see whether or not I should
plan on camping out under the plane during a snow storm. - Mike

Hello, Michael. Erect a tent with a tarp over each wing. Failing that,
acquire hangar space.

Old December 15th 03, 07:35 PM
Del Rawlins

On 15 Dec 2003 06:34 AM, Michael Horowitz posted the following:
Holger - airplane is an hour's drive away over uncleared roads; I"d
prefer the broom approach - just trying to see whether or not I should
plan on camping out under the plane during a snow storm. - Mike

Two hours of driving saved each time it snows will go a long way towards
hangar rental. Alternatively, is there somebody you trust at/near that
airport who would be willing to sweep the wings for you?

Old December 15th 03, 11:50 PM
Michael Horowitz

Del - you're right - there has to be a kid in the neighborhood who'd
want to earn some money sweeping the wings clean; thanks - Mike

Old January 4th 04, 09:15 PM
zxc

gt
Del Rawlins wrote in message ...
On 15 Dec 2003 06:34 AM, Michael Horowitz posted the following:
Holger - airplane is an hour's drive away over uncleared roads; I"d
prefer the broom approach - just trying to see whether or not I should
plan on camping out under the plane during a snow storm. - Mike

Two hours of driving saved each time it snows will go a long way towards
hangar rental. Alternatively, is there somebody you trust at/near that
airport who would be willing to sweep the wings for you?

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

RV-7a baggage area David Smith Home Built 32 December 15th 03 05:08 AM
Pitt wings Al MacDonald Aerobatics 2 November 4th 03 07:40 AM
Discovery Wings - Oshkosh 2003 show David O Home Built 5 October 25th 03 09:49 AM
Crooked or Wavy Trailing Edges of Wings and Control Surfaces Larry Smith Home Built 3 October 24th 03 02:31 AM
Folding Wings on a Sonerai II JR Home Built 2 September 18th 03 12:33 AM