Weight of a Harley Evo / Twin-cam 88 for aircraft?

Old May 26th 04, 05:31 PM
Wright1902Glider

Default Weight of a Harley Evo / Twin-cam 88 for aircraft?

Anyone know what this type of engine weighs? I know that hog-air claims 200
lbs, but that's with a starter, PSRU (PRSU?), exhaust, etc. I'm wondering what
the engine itself weighs with its standard starter, and nothing else. Any
bikers in here have a spare engine and a scale?

My much-discussed "next project" could definately benefit from the noise and
cool factor that such an engine would generate. Although I did see the boys on
American Chopper stuff a Briggs & Stratton v-twin in a bike that both sounded
good, was fairly light (for 20-30hp), and would be WAYYYY cheaper... so that
might also be a possibility.

I'm currently in the process of what my grandmother called "If-whattin'". Also
known in other parts of the country as conceptualization, imagineering,
design-engineering, daydreaming, etc. Hopefully, the airframe design will come
together in another month or so and I can start working on a mockup to play
around with.

Thanks,
Harry
Old May 29th 04, 07:31 PM
Anthony

"Wright1902Glider" wrote in message
[...]

This is also a project that I've put considerable "what-iffing" into. It
boils down to the H_D engine is way too expensive of an alternative (for me
anyway.)

I had some links to a plane that was powered by a B&S V-twin but I don't
seem to have them any more. From what I recall, the crank isn't strong
enough to support the prop and a reduction drive is required. On the plus
side, the car racers hot up these engines a lot and there is plenty of
knowledge and parts floating around out there for them.

Tony

Old June 4th 04, 01:56 PM
Wright1902Glider

Tony,

A chain-drive PSRU is part of the original design of the ship I'm considering.
Due to the age and primative nature of the design, and sort of "flight" would
be extremely limited... perhaps not more than 100 yards in a straight line at
any one time. Therefore, oiling and overheating are also of minimal concern.

Harry