How does my 1918 German barograph work? (Replogle mechanical drum)

Old October 29th 20, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Gosse

Default How does my 1918 German barograph work? (Replogle mechanical drum)

I have a 1918 German barograph, photos are at the URL below. It appears complete but I do not know how to make it work. Apparently it has to be wound-up. I also have a photo of the underside of the metal tray, if you need to see that.

https://www.aeroconservancy.com/flugzeug
Old October 29th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 3:16:14 PM UTC-4, Charles Gosse wrote:
I have a 1918 German barograph, photos are at the URL below. It appears complete but I do not know how to make it work. Apparently it has to be wound-up. I also have a photo of the underside of the metal tray, if you need to see that.

https://www.aeroconservancy.com/flugzeug

Hello Charles - this is indeed a piece of aviation history! It looks just like an early version of the popular Winter Barographs.
There has to be a clockwork located under the drum. If you could post a link to a picture of the underside of the tray, it most likely will show a hole for a key used to wind up the movement or a bail that folds out to wind it up.
Take a look into the drum. There is most likely a thumb-screw used to removed the drum.
Also, the front plate is labeled 'Umdrehungszeit 2' meaning the drum will turn once every 2 hours. The clockwork may have a lever to change the drum speed to go slower or faster.
Thanks for sharing this link!

Uli
'AS'
Old October 29th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-5, Charles Gosse wrote:
I have a 1918 German barograph, photos are at the URL below. It appears complete but I do not know how to make it work. Apparently it has to be wound-up. I also have a photo of the underside of the metal tray, if you need to see that.

https://www.aeroconservancy.com/flugzeug

That's the kind of device you'd expect hanging above the basket of a hydrogen balloon. A precious piece of aviation history!
Old October 30th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Gosse

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 6:10:20 PM UTC-4, Herbert Kilian wrote:
On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-5, Charles Gosse wrote:
I have a 1918 German barograph, photos are at the URL below. It appears complete but I do not know how to make it work. Apparently it has to be wound-up. I also have a photo of the underside of the metal tray, if you need to see that.

https://www.aeroconservancy.com/flugzeug

That's the kind of device you'd expect hanging above the basket of a hydrogen balloon. A precious piece of aviation history!

Hello Herbert,
I am really unfamiliar with google Groups. After you responded here I received an email with your response, as well, and tried to reply to that in gmail with photos but Google responded that they couldn't find the rec.soaring address. Anyway,I can't figure out how to add a photo here. Can you tell me?
Charley

Old October 30th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Gosse

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:27:19 PM UTC-4, Charles Gosse wrote:
[...]

Here is a photo of the underside. The green arrow points toward a clock-work mechanism that seems completely turned tight. What action or button starts the drum to turn?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh95drbxcy...0side.jpg?dl=0
Here is a photo looking down at the drum.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxjbxz70xw...0drum.jpg?dl=0

Old October 30th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:56:53 PM UTC-4, Charles Gosse wrote:
[...]

Charles,

thanks for the picture of tray's underside. You are correct - the key is used to wind the clock.
If you look at the front side of the Barograph - the one that has the handle on it, you can see a sliding lever in the lower left corner. Slide that lever to the left until it snaps upwards into the detent. That starts the clockwork. The detent prevents an accidental stop of the recording. The second function of that lever is to move the recording arm onto the drum to create the trace. In your case, it looks like there is a small ink reservoir at the tip of the arm, which draws the line. Other options were a stylus, which scratched the trace onto a waxed paper or onto a layer of soot on an aluminum foil, etc.

Let us know if you can get the clock to tick. ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old October 30th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Gosse

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 4:45:30 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
[...]

I slid the lever over to the left but I can't raise it up into the detent because there's this other metal arm in the way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsfqx3blos...lever.jpg?dl=0
I flipped it over and took a photo of the underside. On the right is the lever and on the left is the thing in the way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6cazpshtv...0view.jpg?dl=0
I'm clueless.

Old October 31st 20, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 4:33:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Looks like the lever slides over, and then would get safety wired in place. Guessing it did not start ticking when you slide the long lever over to in line with the short lever, lining up the holes? If it doesn't start ticking, try turning the drum clockwise as viewed from above. You might also hold the drum and see if you can turn the knurled knob inside the drum so you can remove the drum and have a look at the clock mechanism. Sometimes, those old clocks need a little "boost" to get started again after sitting for many years.

Steve Leonard
Old October 31st 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 7:29:55 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

I concur with Steve on the second metal arm being there to provide a safety for the moving arm, either by a wire or a cotter pin.
The picture from underneath shows that the arms are all in place and connected. I would have a clockmaker, who specializes in cleaning and restoring old clocks, take a look at it. It is a very simple mechanism and I am sure it can be restored.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 31st 20, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Gosse

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 8:17:05 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
[...]

I tried turning the drum clockwise to see if the mechanism would start but no luck.

Here is the device with the drum removed. The green arrow points to a metal enclosure within the drum. Not sure what to call this but I think this is where the metal coil is wound up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik0dqsnok9...moved.jpg?dl=0

Here is the underside again. The three green circles indicate three bolts that hold down that drum-within-the-drum.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpq7p3rpoe...rside.jpg?dl=0

Should I untighten these and try to lift the mechanism off and see if it is binding or should I just take this to a clock repair person?

FS: 2 E. H. Replogle Barographs [email protected] Soaring 0 April 22nd 14 02:38 AM
Barograph Blues Steve Leonard Soaring 3 May 12th 07 03:57 AM
For Sale- Replogle barograph [email protected] Soaring 5 April 24th 06 02:41 AM
Replogle Barograph For Sale Guy Byars Soaring 0 September 19th 05 10:07 AM
FS Replogle Barograph Al Groth Soaring 0 August 14th 04 11:24 PM