Cameras in the Cockpit

Old January 13th 16, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Cameras in the Cockpit

Just wondering how others feel about sport cameras in the cockpit. Does it help with learning or is it a distraction? Would it help in accident investigations? I've seen some speculation with accidents and if a camera had been on pilot then that could help determine if a medical emergency was the cause.

I know a CFIG that does not like students to have a camera in the cockpit because he thinks it is distracting to the student.

I know that my learning curve of flying and non-flying sports have been helped by me seeing any slight error in my technique.

I know some just don't want to learn another piece of electronics, but its much easier to download and just view. One does not have to edit or post, and the price of sport cameras are cheap for some of them out there.

Could definitive proof of pilot error cause legalities for the pilots family if others were involved in the accident?

I see a lot of cool soaring videos on youtube and most seem to be coming from Europe. Of course some of these have a lot of editing involved. I don't seem many instructional type soaring videos online though. Just yesterday I did see a video from Europe that a pilot did a bungee launch with spoilers open and landed out with near accident, which was informative/instructional.

Casey
Old January 13th 16, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have used a camera (ContourHD and later a GoPro3white) for filming my aerobatic routines.
I see lots of things on film which I don't notice during the flight itself, because so much is happening. I'm getting way more from each tow when I use the camera.

From time to time the operating of the camera can be a distraction, in much the same way that other new gear can be. This is valid for both the mounting (suction cups failing) and operating the camera.
However, with proper preparation and the right mindset I believe you can operate them safely.
Old January 13th 16, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I often fly with a camera. I enjoy some of the footage but most is
unbelievably boring!!! If you intend to publish any of it, get good at
editing.

CAUTION: The camera itself is not the problem. Problems arise when the
pilot becomes cameraman / director in a film. There is a massive temptation
to do things which will look exciting to the viewer, which may not be
sensible from a flight safety point of view. The pictures may also become
evidence of breaking the Rules of the Air. e.g. low flying.

We had a fatal here in the UK when the pilot thought that flying closer to
a cameraman standing on a Land Rover would result in a better picture.

Use with discretion.

Jim

Old January 13th 16, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Recording glider flight video is great fun! Yes, safety is a worthwhile concern.

I try to set my cameras to be 99.9% "press record and forget." Once in awhile I will adjust the angle of my forward camera from recording "me" to recording "something interesting" to the side. But overall you do not want to spend much time paying attention to "aiming" the camera or changing batteries or SD cards. This is bad news. My other "over the shoulder" camera position faces forward and gets the panel usually and 60 degrees to each side. It is easy to interlace these 2 camera angles into a nice continuous multi-angle video with common video editing software such as Final Cut Pro which can time sync simultaneous video easily by using the sound.

Also be careful to run any wires carefully to ensure they are free of any flight controls. I run extended batteries and multiple cameras at times on ReplayXD cameras. This takes some planning. Each glider is quite different. Don't just run up to the glider and slap in in and go flying. Leave ample time to test angles and make sure the camera is free of control movements and not obstructing your vision.

7T
Old January 13th 16, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
[...]

It would be wise for those doing videos and posting to carefully consider what they publish because you can't pull them back.
They can be fun to watch and educational but can have negative consequences..
Examples:
One pilot published a video of him talking on the phone while getting ready top land out. It sets a terrible example and shows his poor judgement at that time.
Another has published some really good videos done during contests that document significant periods of flying near cloud base in violation of FAR's. If the Friendly Aviation Association were to pursue this, I can't imagine how it would be defended to get a favorable result.
As to training, If a recording showed a questionable piece of training, possibly followed later by corrective instruction, it could easily be used by an attorney in another case to imply a pattern of bad training. My opinion is that the risk of this far outweighs the likely benefit.
Of course the best solution is to always do it right, but everyone makes errors and selective editing can show whatever the editor wants.
Better safe than sorry.
UH
Old January 13th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I fly the Alps for enjoyment. It is a very challenging arena to say the least. There is always something to learn from other pilots. One pilot has posted his flights on You Tube with excellent educational editing and comments. I've learned a great deal from his videos. Find such an example he

http://vimotube.com/watch/KVoteMdJTW...chglacier.html

Great educational video for all who fly the Alps.
Old January 13th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The presence of a camera changes pilot behavior. Truth. Hangies call it Kodak courage, skydiving has had lots of video cameras as training(and ego) tools since the big old expensive VHS camera days the danger is well known. Not saying don't do it, just saying there is a pile of bodies from camera related behavior changes and we need to be vigilant about the effect of having cameras on board, or pointing at us from the ground. Fun little experiment, get a big camera(doesn't have to work) and tripod have a friend set it up away from where gliders usually roll out and watch where pilots land. Like moths to a flame...
Old January 13th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I am thinking something like a CVR but video which is always on during the flight and capture the whole flight or the last 30 minutes of pilot action and the outside could be very helpful for accident investigation. No need to publish or even save it if nothing went wrong.

Ramy
Old January 13th 16, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 12:03:28 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I am thinking something like a CVR but video which is always on during the flight and capture the whole flight or the last 30 minutes of pilot action and the outside could be very helpful for accident investigation. No need to publish or even save it if nothing went wrong.

Ramy

Most pilots won't give up .igc files when they are in an accident; much more factual information available there than with a camera (in my opinion). It is usually possible to sort out what went wrong. Without such data, you are just another person with an opinion.

I worry about cameras not sufficiently restrained during an accident injuring the pilot or passenger...
Old January 13th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 10:58:07 AM UTC-6, wrote:
The presence of a camera changes pilot behavior. Truth. Hangies call it Kodak courage, skydiving has had lots of video cameras as training(and ego) tools since the big old expensive VHS camera days the danger is well known. Not saying don't do it, just saying there is a pile of bodies from camera related behavior changes and we need to be vigilant about the effect of having cameras on board, or pointing at us from the ground. Fun little experiment, get a big camera(doesn't have to work) and tripod have a friend set it up away from where gliders usually roll out and watch where pilots land. Like moths to a flame...

Puts me in mind of the skydiver at Louisburg, NC who got so distracted by his camera that he forgot his chute...