Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 24th 05, 10:57 AM
Martin Hotze

On 23 Apr 2005 19:02:54 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

(...)
(without hyphens): "ping 82.150.192.1" - enter. now you see your

(...)

Average time: 194 milliseconds.

ah. OK. depends on time and network usage.

(...)
the Atlantic ocean. :-) .. but you can try "ping

www.alexisparkinn.com" -

(...)
Average time: 154 milliseconds. It only took 40 milliseconds more to
go to Austria, versus pinging Jav Henderson's server in Southern
California.

hmm, then I assume a bad time of day or a network congestion on your side
or at the server's side (I doubt the latter).

This is not typical that it takes almost the same time. (FYI: you have a
minimum of 80ms to cross the Atlantic; SLAs in the US are typiclly below
50ms RTT within the continental USA, but add 20 to 40 ms from your PC to
the core system of your ISP, another 10 ms from the other core system to
the target. So, typically you should be below 100ms within the continental
USA)

Amazing stuff, this internet.

go to http://www.traceroute.org/ - there you can pick hosts all over the
world and check the way and speed of those IP packets.

you can also traceroute from your PC: open again this black box, type
"tracert www.alexisparkinn", then you will see all hops an IP packet makes
to reach the target. But keep in mind that the way through the net might
change in the next minute [that's how the net works, better, how it is able
to survuve]).

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 24th 05, 10:59 AM
Martin Hotze

On 23 Apr 2005 20:25:21 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

what has prevented that there has been no such attack pre 9/11? luck?

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 24th 05, 11:48 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:40:57 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote:

are you claiming that, in the USA, the only source of funds to pay for roads is
the tax on gas? In MA we have this excise tax which I thought paid for part
of the road infrastructure.

I think it's worse than that: the gas tax often pays also for bicycle
paths, removing billboards, commuter rail, and a host of other
"wouldn't it be nice if ..." pet projects of legislators.

In New Hampshire, anyhow, the big roads are mostly toll roads,
especially if they are mostly for the convenience of people who live
in Massachusetts or commute to work there.

And local real estate taxes pay for town roads.

So it's quite a mix.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 24th 05, 11:54 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

The terrorists do not need to do another 9/11 style attack. They have
achieved their end. They have caused more difficulties for all Americans
than the 4000 killed in 9/11.

You claim to know the objective of the attacks?

--
Bob Noel
(please trim your replies - thank you)
Old April 24th 05, 11:58 AM
Cub Driver

On 23 Apr 2005 19:21:13 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I often wonder how the internet will affect this phenomenon. Now that
it is possible to have "next-day-air" delivery virtually anywhere, and
you can order anything instantly off the internet, how long will it be
until people REALLY disperse all over the countryside, completely
dispensing with the rudiments of what we consider "community"...?

Well, speaking in terms of states (rather than dispersal within
states), OpinionJournal
http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110006596 has a chart of
projected population growth by 2030.

The fastest-growing states by 2030 are shown as Nevada, Arizona,
Florida, Texas, Utah, Idaho, North Carolina, Georgia, Washington, and
Oregon.

Except for New Hampshire (15th: ugh!), the Northeast is essentially
irrelevant.

The top ten states in 2030 are shown are California, Texas, Florida,
New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, North Carolina (!), Georgia, Ohio,
and Arizona.

Florida displacing New York at 3! North Carolina displacing Ohio at 7!

Don't give all the credit to the internet. UPS has a lot to do with
it, too

Old April 24th 05, 12:02 PM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:25:42 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

What does it take to become a city in the US?

In New Hampshire, a town could apply for a city charter when its
poulation reached 25,000, and there were a couple or three cities
whose population was less, because they'd graduated in an earlier and
less restrictive time.

Dunno if that rule still pertains. Towns are now able to adopt a
council form of government, so there is less pressure for a large town
to become a city. (New Hampshire was once a bastion of Town Meeting
government, each citizen able to trek to the town hall or school
auditorium on the second Tuesday of March and state his opinion on the
great issues of the day. Tragically, the Good People are increasingly
ruling out that wonderful system.)

Old April 24th 05, 12:15 PM
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

Since we don't know if another 9/11-style attack was attempted, we
cannot determine what prevented it.

Also consider that the planning for the 9/11 attack appears to have
been patiently done over the course of years.

(I do not want to get started talking about how security measures haven't
actually been improved)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old April 24th 05, 02:09 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

I often wonder how the internet will affect this phenomenon. Now that
it is possible to have "next-day-air" delivery virtually anywhere, and
you can order anything instantly off the internet, how long will it be
until people REALLY disperse all over the countryside, completely
dispensing with the rudiments of what we consider "community"...?

A long time I hope. It is usually pretty easy around here to tell the
"flat landers" (no offense Jay) from the locals. Just last weekend our
church group went rafting down a local gorge. When we ferried the
vehicles to the downstream end, we had to drive down a dead-end road to
turn the trailer around to park it at a camp on this same road that is
owned by one of our church members. After turning around and starting
back, an older guy stops us and starts complaining about people who
drive down "his" road and turn around in front of his camp. This is
pretty odd behavior for this area, but I just brushed him off and went
on my way. Later, we stopped for coffee at a local general store on our
way back to launch the rafts. This same old man comes into the store.
At that time, one of the men in our group said he recognized him. He
used to live near him in downstate PA (where the flat landers live). At
that point it all clicked. The folks from Philly come up to northern PA
to "get away from it all", but then bring their nasty and unfriendly
attitudes right along with them.

Matt
Old April 24th 05, 04:09 PM
Dave Stadt

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On 23 Apr 2005 20:25:21 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

what has prevented that there has been no such attack pre 9/11? luck?

Luck is as good an answer as any.

Old April 24th 05, 07:42 PM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

The fastest-growing states by 2030 are shown as Nevada, Arizona,
Florida, Texas, Utah, Idaho, North Carolina, Georgia, Washington, and
Oregon.

Arizona, North Carolina, and Florida get most of their growth these days from
retirees. I suppose most of the rest are mainly attracting businesses? Georgia
certainly is.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM