Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 4th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.
He was interviewed by Brian Lamb, this would have been
before 9/11/2001, could have been several years earlier. I
don't remember his name and don't care to spend a lot of
time on Google looking for the results. As you say,
somebody will remember the name of the book or the author
and then you can apologize to me.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Not Sowell and the "glad" statement was his direct
thought
| in the book and when I saw him on C-SPAN.
|
| Human memory distorts recollections in the direction of
our expectations. So
| if you harbor the disgusting expectation that African
Americans are (or
| should be) "glad" their ancestors were enslaved, then your
memory of what
| you think you read will be influenced in that direction.
|
| If the book passage you believe you read (and cited
approvingly) were really
| to exist, then you or someone else here would be able to
find it. It would
| be such an outrageous sentiment that a Google search would
easily uncover
| copious discussion of it.
|
| --Gary
|
| "Gary Drescher" wrote in
message
| . ..
| | "Jim Macklin"
wrote
| in message
| | I can't think of his name right now, but there is a
| black
| | reporter for the Wall Street Journal who wrote a
book
| about
| | how glad his ancestors were slaves in America, so he
| doesn't
| | have to live in Africa.
| |
| | You are presumably thinking of Thomas Sowell, a
columnist
| (not reporter) for
| | the Wall Street Journal who has argued against
| reparations.
| |
| | But while Sowell does mention that (of course) he is
| better off in America
| | than in Africa, he certainly does *not* express
gratitude
| about his
| | ancestors' captivity; on the contrary, he condemns
that
| atrocity in the
| | strongest terms.
| |
| | The idea that even the most conservative black scholar
| could be "glad" his
| | ancestors were enslaved is purely a product of your
own
| twisted, racist,
| | slavery-rationalizing imagination.
| |
| | --Gary
| |
| |

Old June 4th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.

Being glad to live in America rather than Africa is completely different
from the obscene idea of being glad that one's ancestors were enslaved. By
analogy, a Jewish American whose ancestors came here to escape the Nazi
Holocaust can certainly be glad to be living in America, but it would be
obscene for him to be glad that the Holocaust occurred.

A responsible person would not publicly ascribe such a horrific sentiment to
an African American author without bothering to verify and document that his
recollection is correct. But you apparently fail to appreciate how horrific
the sentiment really is (perhaps because you still have a warm, fuzzy
Confederate impression of slavery).

Anyone not blinded by right-wing ideology would find it immediately apparent
that if a respected black author had written a book saying what you think
you remember reading, the resulting outcry would have been enormous, and
memorable to all of us. It didn't happen.

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
btw - of course you can sue. Whether there would be justise in you
winning is a different matter.

If your father had stolen my father's car and you inherited it, wouldn't
it be just for me to recover it from you?

That car is at least 140 years old. Get over it.

When does the chain break?

When the car is returned to its rightful owners.

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
news
"Skywise" wrote in message
I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.

Have you directly or indirectly inherited some of the wealth that the slave
owners stole from the black population? Thought so.

Oh! This logic is just incredible!

Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.
Or, if you'd prefer, we can mutually blow each others brains
out in a suicide pact to repay for the murder commited by our
ancestors.

I did not enslave anyone. For that matter, none of my recent
ancesters did either, for they didn't even arrive in America
until after slavery was abolished. So how can I possibly be
responsible for the slavery of blacks in America?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 4th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something to
its rightful owner).

...So how can I possibly be
responsible for the slavery of blacks in America?

No one ever suggested you were. (See the above distinction.)

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

If your father had stolen my father's car and you inherited it, wouldn't it
be just for me to recover it from you?

If I am innocent, why would it be just to punish me?

The harm was done to your father by my father. You have no
right to punish me.

When does the chain break?

When the car is returned to its rightful owners.

see above.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old June 4th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gee, I do remember exactly what the author said, in context.
I just didn't bother to "document" his name, age, place of
birth and DNA.

Since did not make up what he said and this is neither a
court of law or a college manuscript, my word is all that I
need. If you question my memory, you're certainly free to
research the matter and print your results. However, so far
your comments are just YOUR paranoid guilt ridden feelings
and interpretation.

some support

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old June 4th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

If your father had stolen my father's car and you inherited it, wouldn't
it
be just for me to recover it from you?

If I am innocent, why would it be just to punish me?

It would not. That's why I didn't suggest it. (For example, I did not
suggest that you be imprisoned for the theft; *that* would be an appropriate
punishment for whoever is guilty of the theft.)

Seeking to return stolen property to its rightful owner is not legally or
morally the same as seeking to punish whoever had received the stolen
property, innocently or not. (Of course, if you knew or had reason to know
that it was stolen, then you're not so innocent at all.)

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
newsAtgg.26330$ZW3.14292@dukeread04...
Gee, I do remember exactly what the author said, in context.
Since did not make up what he said and this is neither a
court of law or a college manuscript, my word is all that I
need.

Intellectual integrity should not be restricted to courts and colleges. It
is deeply slanderous to claim that a respected black author had written "a
book about how glad he is his ancestors were slaves", and deeply
irresponsible to make such a defamatory claim without even trying to verify
it. (Of course, a sufficiently racist person might not even realize that the
claim is defamatory, and thus might not realize that special care is
warranted before making the claim.)

If you question my memory, you're certainly free to
research the matter and print your results.

That's ludicrous. It's impossible to prove that an alleged passage did *not*
appear in some unnamed book by some unnamed author. The burden of proof is
obviously on the person who claims it *did* appear.

But your worldview is so impervious to reality that you are able to continue
to believe that your recollection is accurate even if neither you nor anyone
else is ever able to find the outrageous book you claim to have read. Thus,
in your imaginary world, there are respectable African American authors who
are grateful for slavery, and your inability to actually find such an author
does nothing to undermine your self-serving belief.

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807, but
ownership was still legal. The South's economy was based on
hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of Southerners
fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
honorable.

So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to preserve the ability
to own people as property?

But slavery was still wrong and it ceased to be
the same after 1865. But there was still economic "slavery"
for many people working for low wages in company towns,
buying food and clothes at the company store on credit.

There is no similarity between the slavery of blacks and the "economic
slavery" that you describe. Those working for low wages in company towns
are not deemed the property of the company, with no individual rights.
They could not be hunted and killed for leaving town for better
circumstances.

Laws change, society changes, hopefully for the better. We
should remember the past, so we don't continue to make the
same mistakes, but we must get over the anger and personal
feelings about what happened 50, 100, 150, 500, 2000 years
ago.

The problem is that many of those mistakes -- particularly the mindset of
priviledge -- are still being made today, and that is what angers people
in the present.

Neil