Hi Octane gas

Old February 2nd 04, 05:04 PM
Ray

Default Hi Octane gas

Does any one know what they do for fuel for high octane fuel users,Like fifi
or Statocruisers.Can like B-29 fly on low lead 100 octane.We used to fuel
them with 115/145. Maybe it is still made.What kind of performace on lower
grade fuels . Thank you

Old February 3rd 04, 12:45 AM
JDupre5762

Does any one know what they do for fuel for high octane fuel users,Like fifi
or Statocruisers.Can like B-29 fly on low lead 100 octane.We used to fuel
them with 115/145. Maybe it is still made.What kind of performace on lower
grade fuels .

I have heard that 115/145 is made up once a year for the Reno Air Races but is
otherwise not available. I just read an article about the C-119 which uses the
same R-3350 engine as the B-29 though I am sure the variants are different.
IIRC the pilot of the C-119 stated that with 100 Low Lead fuel the engine put
out about 2400 HP instead of 3500 but with water injection could put out about
3400.

John Dupre'