A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Power Flarm Display

Old December 12th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari
external usenet poster

Default Power Flarm Display

Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Unfortunately neither the manufacturer nor PowerFlarm folks think this is a problem. The best answer I got was "this is not a problem, don't use polarized glasses"!!! I don't have that problem with any other avionics.
Old December 12th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote:
Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display.

Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center.

Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win!

bumper

Old December 12th 12, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:28:43 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper

The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01

It has:

New Features:
• Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS)
• Supports PowerFLARM® CORE
• NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target
• Units con"gurable
• Enhanced Menu
Improvements:
• Better stability with many received targets
• new dynamical menu for future extensions.
• 3.0.1: Better font readability

I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable.

You need a special cable to update the firmware.

Make the cable instructions and get firmware at

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old December 12th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari
external usenet poster

Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display.

Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center.

Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win!

bumper

Well, not sure I entirely agree with that. I am pretty sure there are alternate solutions to that though I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination:

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/...zed_sunglasses

With that said, note that all their literature and pictures on their docs/website show the display mounted in horizontal layout which is orientation that does NOT work. This is opposite of how they actually installed the polarizer filter and seems more like a bug advertised as a feature!
Old December 12th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper

The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01

It has:

New Features:

• Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS)

• Supports PowerFLARM® CORE

• NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target

• Units con"gurable

• Enhanced Menu

Improvements:

• Better stability with many received targets

• new dynamical menu for future extensions.

• 3.0.1: Better font readability

I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable.

You need a special cable to update the firmware.

Make the cable instructions and get firmware at

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

Richard,

I just downloaded the update but the update instructions are a little vague, at least to me. Only the Butterfly end of the 'special update cable' is shown - what's at the other end? DB9 serial connector, USB connector, or what?

Frank (TA)
Old December 13th 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:45:24 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:28:43 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01 It has: New Features: • Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS) • Supports PowerFLARM® CORE • NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target • Units con"gurable • Enhanced Menu Improvements: • Better stability with many received targets • new dynamical menu for future extensions. • 3.0.1: Better font readability I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable. You need a special cable to update the firmware. Make the cable instructions and get firmware at http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero. Richard www.craggyaero.com Richard, I just downloaded the update but the update instructions are a little vague, at least to me. Only the Butterfly end of the 'special update cable' is shown - what's at the other end? DB9 serial connector, USB connector, or what? Frank (TA)

Serial Port on a PC is the rest of the story.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 13th 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Dec 12, 8:32*pm, Richard wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:45:24 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:28:43 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01 It has: New Features: • Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS) • Supports PowerFLARM® CORE • NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target • Units con"gurable • Enhanced Menu Improvements: • Better stability with many received targets • new dynamical menu for future extensions. • 3.0.1: Better font readability I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable. You need a special cable to update the firmware. Make the cable instructions and get firmware at http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/index.php/en/support-english or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero. Richard www.craggyaero.comRichard, I just downloaded the update but the update instructions are a little vague, at least to me. Only the Butterfly end of the 'special update cable' is shown - what's at the other end? DB9 serial connector, USB connector, or what? Frank (TA)

Serial Port on a PC *is the rest of the story.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

I think I need to go to a museum to get a PC with a serial port
Old December 13th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 12/12/2012 3:27 PM, Morteza Ansari wrote:

Well, not sure I entirely agree with that. I am pretty sure there are
alternate solutions to that though I am not an expert by any stretch
of imagination:

With that said, note that all their literature and pictures on their
docs/website show the display mounted in horizontal layout which is
orientation that does NOT work. This is opposite of how they actually
installed the polarizer filter and seems more like a bug advertised
as a feature!

Recently, I tried buy non-polarized clip-on or flip-up sunglasses for my
prescription glasses. There hundreds, but all were polarized. Does
anyone know where non-polarized clip-ons or flip-ups can be found?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
Old December 13th 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:27:21 PM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote:

bumper

Well, not sure I entirely agree with that. I am pretty sure there are alternate solutions to that though I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination:

With that said, note that all their literature and pictures on their docs/website show the display mounted in horizontal layout which is orientation that does NOT work. This is opposite of how they actually installed the polarizer filter and seems more like a bug advertised as a feature!

I agree with Morteza, the polarizer filter should have match the most common layout, which is most likely horizontal. Or they could have provided 2 versions. Perhaps if we put more pressure they will. However with some effort you will most likely find a place to mount it vertically as I did, or switch to the in panel display if you have space, as it is polarized correctly and has louder volume.

Ramy
Old December 13th 12, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Strzebrakowski
external usenet poster

I bought a pair (non polarized) in NZ a few years ago.

http://www.opticaaccessories.com/cat...ategory=100502

At 04:05 13 December 2012, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 12/12/2012 3:27 PM, Morteza Ansari wrote:

Well, not sure I entirely agree with that. I am pretty sure there are
alternate solutions to that though I am not an expert by any stretch
of imagination:

With that said, note that all their literature and pictures on their
docs/website show the display mounted in horizontal layout which is
orientation that does NOT work. This is opposite of how they actually
installed the polarizer filter and seems more like a bug advertised
as a feature!

Recently, I tried buy non-polarized clip-on or flip-up sunglasses for my
prescription glasses. There hundreds, but all were polarized. Does
anyone know where non-polarized clip-ons or flip-ups can be found?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)