Power Flarm Display

Old December 17th 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

Default Power Flarm Display

On Monday, December 17, 2012 10:02:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:44:06 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:28:43 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote: On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:17:39 AM UTC-8, Morteza Ansari wrote: Not sure which butterfly display we are talking about, but the rectangular display that comes with the brick is anything but *useless* to anyone flying with polarized sun glasses. It is polarized incorrectly which means if you mount it in horizontal orientation you see practically nothing on the display. Yes, but it works just fine with my polarized glasses in the vertical mode. So I made a bracket to hold it at the edge of the glareshield to the left of center. Since the device and display are rotatable in increments of 90 degrees, and since all LCD displays I've seen are polarized in one plane or another, Butterfly had to pick one knowing full well that it would please some and offend others of the polarized sun glassed crowd. No way for them to win! bumper The latest Firmware Version of the Butterfly display is out 3.01 It has: New Features: • Nondirectional traffic is shown permanently (PCAS) • Supports PowerFLARM® CORE • NEAREST-Mode, always automatically shows nearest target • Units con"gurable • Enhanced Menu Improvements: • Better stability with many received targets • new dynamical menu for future extensions. • 3.0.1: Better font readability I just saw an ADS B target the fonts are much larger and readable. You need a special cable to update the firmware. Make the cable instructions and get firmware at http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english or send to your dealer or Craggy Aero. Richard www.craggyaero.com All, I looked at the update information, and although it specified what connector pins on the display connector (RJ-12) were to be connected to what pins on a PC serial connector, it didn't specify the connector itself or address the issue of how one determines whether or not the PC can supply 3.3vdc on pin 5. I emailed the Butterfly folks, and I have copied the reply here. You will note that the reply still doesn't directly address the 3.3vdc issue, but at this point I'm confident enough that its not going to be a problem that I plan to fabricate a RJ12-DB9 cable and give it a whirl. Frank (TA)

That 3.3 V is the supply voltage. There is not likely to be a regulator in the display module. Odds are pretty good that putting 5 V on the 3.3 V supply input will kill it. Putting 12 V on the 3.3 V input will almost certainly kill it.

-Dave
ZL
Old December 17th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Monday, December 17, 2012 2:06:01 PM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:02:00 AM UTC-8, wrote:

I'm confident enough that its not going to be a problem that I plan to fabricate a RJ12-DB9 cable and give it a whirl.

Frank (TA)

------------------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------

Aktualisiert von: Frank Paynter, 14. Dez 15:40 (CET):

Hi,

I would like to update the firmware on my PowerFlarm Butterfly display, but

I'm a bit confused by the directions for fabricating the required update

cable. Note that I'm an Electrical Engineer with over 40 years of bench

design and fabrication experience, so if I'm confused, I expect others are

as well.

The instructions provide a pinout for the display-end connector, with notes

as to where each pin should go on the PC end. However, the PC-end

connector isn't specified - is it supposed to be a DB9 serial connector?

If so, you must know that DB9 serial connectors aren't widely available on

modern PC's; I have 6 PCs in my home office, and not one of them has a DB9

serial connector. When I need serial port connectivity, I use a popular

USB-serial adapter. Will your display update properly when using such an

adapter?

Your specification calls for pin 5 of the RJ-12 connector to be tied to

+3.3VDC, but this isn't a common voltage for serial communications. What

happens if this line is connected to +5 or even +12 VDC?

Regards,

Frank

Frank,

Please post an update if all goes well. I prefer not to tune my device for maximum smoke if there is some other brave soul willing to go first!

tks

bumper

You guys do know about this, yes? (From external display manual)

"Updates
Update through PowerFLARM®
After Q4/2012 it will be possible to update the displays through any PowerFLARM® unit
directly without the need for a special cable."

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old December 18th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:02:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:
..... text deleted

I looked at the update information, and although it specified what connector
pins on the display connector (RJ-12) were to be connected to what pins on a PC
serial connector, it didn't specify the connector itself or address the issue of how
one determines whether or not the PC can supply 3.3vdc on pin 5. I emailed the
Butterfly folks, and I have copied the reply here. You will note that the reply still
doesn't directly address the 3.3vdc issue, but at this point I'm confident enough
that its not going to be a problem that I plan to fabricate a RJ12-DB9 cable and
give it a whirl.

Frank (TA)

I have one of the standard Flarm display updaters. It uses a normal 9v
transister-type battery (e.g., MN1604) that is fed into a voltage
regulator that drops the output to the required 3.3v. Two cables are
involved, a standard DB9 going to the serial port, and a RJ-11 (or
RJ-12) going to the display.

I have used this unit both with older PCs with a serial port, and with
newer PCs using a serial-usb converter.

Another option for those electrically inclined is shown on 3U's
website. This approaches uses the USB port directly, at the expense of
more complicated circuitry.
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu...terfly-display

Bob
Old December 18th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words, here is that
the standard updater looks like;

http://www.butterfly-store.de/en/Upd...isplay,i13.htm

Bob

Old December 18th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

two AA or two AAA batteries will give you 3 volts which is enough to power the butterfly display for the update if you use fresh batteries

OR

upgrade to a FlarmView and just save the new data to the mini SD card and bypass the HeathKit cable making process entirely and as a bonus you get the nice screen and lots more configuration options

Old December 18th 12, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 17, 2012 2:43:38 PM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

Evan,

Just saw this myself in the Butterfly manual - wonder why they didn't mention this in the response to my email?

Frank (TA)
Old December 18th 12, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:56:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Hi Frank, I built my update cable several weeks ago (for the last update and to download flarmnet info) and it worked just fine with 2 AA batteries (just as someone else mentioned in this thread). RS232 adapters don't ever work well for me on laptops so the only reliable serial port I have is on my desktop. Since my rectangular display is screwed to my panel with the 4 provided screws I think I will wait until the post-Q4-instructions to magically appear just to save the hassle of un-mounting the display yet again.

Old December 19th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

All,

Here is the email I sent to Butterfly, and their response. Assuming the FLARM guys aren't too late with their next update, that sure sounds like the way to go [sound of partially made cable hitting trashcan]

Frank (TA)

-------------------------- CUT HERE -----------------------------------
Dear Frank,

+12VDC supply damage the display?

yep, definitely. The display can work with 3V to 3.6VDC, all above will damage the unit.
Core/Brick Updating: We are literally just working on this this week. It will be included in the next PowerFLARM release which will come soon in the new year (this depends on FLARM in Switzerland, the display-updating-routine is only a small part of the release)

Best wishes
Marc

Aktualisiert von: Frank Paynter, 18. Dez 16:08 (CET):
Marc,

A couple of questions:

Can I connect the 3.3vdc line to the DB9 +V line (typically +5 to +12VDC)
or do I need to supply 3.3VDC somehow? In other words, would a +5 or
+12VDC supply damage the display?

There is a note in your current manual about the upcoming ability to update
a Butterfly display via an attached FLARM 'brick' (Core) device. Is this
ability available now? If not, can you give me an estimate of when it will
become available? Obviously, eliminating the need for a separate update
cable would be welcome indeed!

TIA,

Frank

-------------------------- CUT HERE -----------------------------------

Old December 20th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glen

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:42:27 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a Power Flarm brick. What do users think of the display? Sun and shade readability?

Thanks,

Steve

How is the Flarm display on a PDA using See You or the Ilec SN 10 display.
Old December 21st 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC-8, glen wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:42:27 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote: I'm thinking about getting a Power Flarm brick. What do users think of the display? Sun and shade readability? Thanks, Steve How is the Flarm display on a PDA using See You or the Ilec SN 10 display.

Glen,

SeeYou Mobile displays PowerFlarm and ADS-B targets as smaller gliders, with climb rate and altitude. When you lose Flarm lock a dot remains for the time you specify on the setup page. One can fly to the dot and zoom into the thermal track. You can color by altitude or make the glider larger or smaller. Warnings are white box across the top and the lady alerts you of traffic. "Traffic 5 oclock 50 feet low".

Richard
www.craggyaero.com