You mean I have to TALK to ATC? - long

Old September 16th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

Default You mean I have to TALK to ATC? - long

In article om,
Jay Honeck wrote:

That's just great that you're getting back into it.
My bet is you'll find many more similarities than differences,

Heck, I'm probably flying the same plane you flew 31 years ago!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Never flew a Pathfinder, about half my total was in the Warrior, though.
Old September 16th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Airbus

In article ,
NVALID says...

In article ,
"Doug Semler" wrote:

I've been away from flying now for 31 years. Getting back to it in a few
weeks, lots of bookwork in my immediate future.

If I end up retraining on something with a glass cockpit, it will be the
first time I've seen one outside a magazine.

That's just great that you're getting back into it.
My bet is you'll find many more similarities than differences, compared
with what you knew 31 years ago. In any case, I hope you'll be coming back
to us to let us know how it's going, and to report on what differences you
do find. I'd be particularly interested in knowing what differences you
perceive in pilots' attitudes - toward flying, safety consciousness,
utility - their overall mind set. . .

You will have some advantages because of your "historical" vantage point
(don't take it badly ;-)). As systems always evolve, what we do today is
directly derived from what we did yesterday, so you will easily grasp some
concepts that the young whippersnappers have difficulty wrapping their
minds around. Of course, there will be entirely new concepts to learn -
like RNP, or ADS-b, but the learning was always part of the satisfaction in
flying.

My recommendation would be that you start with what's familiar - find a
plane that's close to what you knew before. As mentioned earlier, the
standard training environment hasn't changed radically - yet. Then work
into the new stuff, and you'll find it's really great, and much easier than
what you had to learn before.

Best of luck - and report back to us. . .

Old September 17th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Marty Shapiro wrote:
After someone ripped him a new one, he shut up
on that topic. But, at one point in his attempt to justify his
stand, he implied that he had been wiped out in the dot.com bust.

Is there any way we can get whoever that was to hang out here for a while.
He has been ripped many times here and it never seems to shut him up.

Old September 17th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Marty Shapiro wrote:
After someone ripped him a new one, he shut up
on that topic. But, at one point in his attempt to justify his
stand, he implied that he had been wiped out in the dot.com bust.

Is there any way we can get whoever that was to hang out here for a while.
He has been ripped many times here and it never seems to shut him up.

What are you suggesting, we need to bring in a hired "key"?

Old September 17th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Steve Hix" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Semler" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
How many students AREN'T training behind glass?

Well, my 17-year-old son is training in an old, clapped out Cessna
150, just like a couple of generations before him...

The only thing glass in that plane is probably the electrical
insulators...

I thought you were gonna say the vacuum tubes g

The steam gauge covers, too.

I've been away from flying now for 31 years. Getting back to it in a few
weeks, lots of bookwork in my immediate future.

If I end up retraining on something with a glass cockpit, it will be the
first time I've seen one outside a magazine.

Glad to hear it, good luck. I just went through this a couple of years
ago, after a 17 year layoff. Fortunately the Compass & Clock are still where
they used to be.

Al G

Old September 18th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Compasses and dead reckoning still work. Remember that
little blurb in the instrument rules 61.65, Navigation,
including dead reckoning appropriate to IFR.

Procedure turns, and NORDO are just some of the DR
situations, GPS and or VOR OTS are others.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I was flying to Reno last week and there was a GPS outage
part of the way
| there. I had a couple guys with me and they just looked
at me when the MX20
| and the 296 went blank. I just tuned in to the next VOR
and kept going 10
| minutes later they came back.
|
| Interesting. I've had a similar experience where I lost
one (or two)
| GPS's (for reasons unknown) -- but I've never lost *both*
of them.

| I'm not saying VORs don't have a place anymore. I'm just
surprised to
| hear primary students flying around solely by reference to
them. It
| seems rather quaint, with so many students training in
glass

Old September 18th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

good show