Nut/thread securing compound

Old April 21st 04, 01:01 AM
nauga

Default Nut/thread securing compound

Eugene Wendland wrote...
Does anyone know what compound is used to secure the nuts and threads on
aviation engines?

Sounds like you're talking about inspection lacquer.
It's not really a securing compound, it just
chips and flakes if the material moves.
Wicks has it (www.wicksaircraft.com), search
for inspection lacquer.

Dave 'nut job' Hyde

Old April 21st 04, 01:04 AM
JDupre5762

Does anyone know what compound is used to secure the nuts and threads on
aviation engines? I'm not talking about loctite, but the compound that is
placed on the outside of the nut and then onto the threads. Usually, it's a
very visible colour and laid in a straight line so that one can visually see
if a nut or bolt has backed off.

It is called Inspector's Anti Sabotage Lacquer or something similar depending
on the maker. It does not itself secure the nut or bolt but serves as a
witness mark to show whether or not the fastener has backed off. It is
required for use on the Cessna oil filter adapter. Most aviation supply
outlets carry it even if they don't list it in a catalog. I have on occasion
backed nuts off with the lacquer strip not breaking and it will sometimes break
and fall off without any lose in torque on the fastener.

I've seen it done with silicon,

I can't see any advantage to using silicon since it is so flexible the nut
could loose torque with silicon simply stetching slightly.

Old April 21st 04, 01:10 AM
rip

Nail polish works just as well.

Eugene Wendland wrote:
Does anyone know what compound is used to secure the nuts and threads on
aviation engines? I'm not talking about loctite, but the compound that is
placed on the outside of the nut and then onto the threads. Usually, it's a
very visible colour and laid in a straight line so that one can visually see
if a nut or bolt has backed off. I've seen it done with silicon, but I'm
wondering what the real hard compound is. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gene

Old April 21st 04, 09:16 AM
B2431

From: rip
Date: 4/20/2004 7:10 PM Central Daylight Time
Nail polish works just as well.

White nail polish makes an excellent slippage mark for indicator coverglasses
where range marks are required. We used it in the USAF along with clear nail
polish to extend the life of the rangemarks themselves.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 21st 04, 04:55 PM
Stu & Kathy Fields

A/C Spruce has it on page 323 called: "Torque Seal". or "Skydrol". Both
are called inspection lacquers. In the past we used a yellow 3M
weatherstrip adhesive on racing dirt bikes. It actually holds the nut to
the bolt and not just a movement indicator.
Stu Fields Safari driver

Old April 21st 04, 10:30 PM
Rich S.

"Eugene Wendland" wrote in message
Does anyone know what compound is used to secure the nuts and threads on
aviation engines? I'm not talking about loctite, but the compound that is
placed on the outside of the nut and then onto the threads. Usually, it's

very visible colour and laid in a straight line so that one can visually

see
if a nut or bolt has backed off. I've seen it done with silicon, but I'm
wondering what the real hard compound is. Any suggestions?

Here's one for the "Don't try this at home" file.

Years ago (when Eisenhower was Pres.) I worked in the shipyards as a
pipefitter. I forget why, but occasionally we would seal pipe threads with a
creamy mixture of Litharge and Glycerine. It would harden into a white
substance with excellent sealing properties.

There was a setup table in the shop made from granite. One day a forklift
got too close and busted off a corner of the table. Somebody got the idea to
glue it back on with the Litharge/Glycerine goo. Worked good.

Sometime after I left the trade, I'm told that a fitter was pounding on a
piece of steel which was lying on the broken seam. Now, I won't swear to
this, 'cuz I didn't see it, but it seems the mix had turned into
nitroglycerine and blew up. So, think twice about where you're hammering!
)

Rich S.