how do you pronounce Grob?

Old February 9th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default how do you pronounce Grob?

BTW in russian grob(гроб) means coffin. Awful name for a glider.

Tanel
Old February 9th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

Grob means big, thick, coarse, uncouth, peasant-like,
etc.

But is the name of the founder in this case.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
Old February 9th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
Once, and forever. The letter 'o' in Grob is pronounced
like Boat and not like Bob. The vowel sound in Bob
cannot be made in German using the letter 'o.' It
does not exist. To make that sound they would have
to write Bab or Bahb.

well, not exactly... if you want to get into linguistic anorak
discussions, the English "boat" is pronounced more like a diphthong, a
combination of o and u - whereas the German Grob (or Boot as in the film
"Das Boot") is a flat, long "o" sound - maybe a bit like a Geordie "o"? :-)

The "o" sound as in "Bob" does exist in German (at least if you think of
the British pronunciation of Bob). It's just a plain short "o".

And finally, yes, Grob means something like rough, coarse - which is why
some people say Grob gliders are grob. Those would be the people who
also call them Harzklumpen, i.e. lumps of resin!

(which leads to the question whether the Harz mountains are really the
Resin mountains...)

Claudia (professional linguistic anorak)
Old February 9th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Claudia Buengen wrote:

The "o" sound as in "Bob" does exist in German (at least if you think of

Actually, this depends a lot on where the English speaker lives. (Yes, I
snipped that part of your post.) I tend to believe that the
pronounciation of an upperclass Englishman usually slightly differs from
that of an Australian outback farmer. But both will have a very hard
time to to pronounce "Grob" as it is done by Germans.

(Shall we start to discuss how to correctly pronounce the "r"?)

Stefan
Old February 9th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Get a quart of Listerine and gargle until you are completely
relaxed while doing this exercise ,and then we can
begin.

At 21:12 09 February 2006, Stefan wrote:
Claudia Buengen wrote:

The 'o' sound as in 'Bob' does exist in German (at
least if you think of

Actually, this depends a lot on where the English speaker
lives. (Yes, I
snipped that part of your post.) I tend to believe
that the
pronounciation of an upperclass Englishman usually
slightly differs from
that of an Australian outback farmer. But both will
have a very hard
time to to pronounce 'Grob' as it is done by Germans.

(Shall we start to discuss how to correctly pronounce
the 'r'?)

Stefan

Grob Self Launch R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 28th 04 03:00 AM
Grob 103 SL R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 21st 04 10:21 PM
Help with Grob Needed Scott Soaring 5 January 11th 04 05:07 AM
Help, Need Complete Front Canopy for Grob 103 Carl Buehler Soaring 0 December 28th 03 02:15 AM
Grob 103 bulletin becomes AD Mike Borgelt Soaring 0 October 3rd 03 12:47 AM