Butterfly vario side-by-side with ClearNav vario

Old May 18th 13, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Butterfly vario side-by-side with ClearNav vario

Yes, but the vario doesn't "know" that unless you have multiple switches on
the flap detents. Also, how does the vario "know", from increasing "g" that
a pitch up was caused by elevator travel or by the change in angle of attack
due to the vertical component of the thermal? Do we also need stick
movement measuring equipment?

This is all pretty intriguing to me as an engineer because of the
capabilities and the applications we can think up but (just speaking for
myself), I'm less impressed by a 1,000 km flight by a long winged, engine
equipped, highly instrumented glider than I am by a 300 km flight by a rag
and tube machine equipped with a pellet variometer. Still, I like my
LAK-17a!

wrote in message

What happens when the flaps go positive?

Marc

You get a single transient, which you know about because you just moved
the flap handle

Old May 18th 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 18 May 2013 09:08:27 -0700, rudy.letov wrote:

Maybe there's a good use for Google Glass here. Much easier than a HUD.

..... until Google decide its time for an ad break.

It seems that *will* be location-related ads shown ("Coffee time!" as you
pass Starbucks): this is one of the reasons why various states are
talking about banning their use while driving.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 18th 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote, On 5/18/2013 9:17 AM:
Yes, but the vario doesn't "know" that unless you have multiple switches
on the flap detents. Also, how does the vario "know", from increasing
"g" that a pitch up was caused by elevator travel or by the change in
angle of attack due to the vertical component of the thermal? Do we
also need stick movement measuring equipment?

Perhaps it can tell the attitude of the glider didn't change by using
the gyro info, indicating the upward acceleration was caused by a
thermal. If the attitude pitched up - stick thermal.

Using the actual change in attitude may be much better than the stick
movement.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old May 19th 13, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:08:58 PM UTC+2, son_of_flubber wrote:

Maybe Themi got it right, ten years ago. Two LEDs in peripheral vision.

I think so, which is why I still have mine installed.

I like the combination of SN10 audio, Themi lights, and Oudie (with SN10 vario data) trail with vario dots for building a picture of the thermal with minimum time inside the cockpit.

Kirk
66

Old May 19th 13, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Eric, I recently acquired butterfly varios for my ASH25. I immediately liked it better than my SN10's vario, and having flown the 302 a bunch in a Duo Discus I would put Cambridge in third place. I can't comment on the ClearNav . The audio is the most pleasant i've heard and the display is bright and delightful to view. I think it is equal to, if not better, than the high end Sage, and much more visible. I am still trouble shooting the more sophisticated features of the instrument. The artificial horizon is cool even if never used, and it doubles as a nice navigation, and final glide device. As far as the cruise control feature, at this point it seems like too much information to me. I just fly fast if the next thermal looks good, and slow if there might be trouble ahead, making some modest changes to accommodate en route sustained lift or sink. That horizontal gust thing might actually work, as it seems easier to center thermals with the Butterfly, although I might be inclined to say that about any variometer that cost as much as my first glider. As of now I think it might be a better mousetrap, and if you are interested come down and fly with me and check it out.

Dale
Old May 19th 13, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am also very interested in the Butterfly vario. I have some questions that the Butterfly people have not answered for me yet.

I fly with a mechanical vario on the T.E. probe and my 302 with electronic compensation. I wanted two independent systems and I was having difficulties with the 302 and mechanical varios on the same T.E. probe line.

How would the Butterfly work with electronic compensation? Any significant loss of functions?

What issues could be anticipated with the Butterfly vario and a mechanical vario (Winter or Sage) sharing the same T.E. probe?

Guy Acheson "DDS"
Old May 19th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 19 May 2013 11:19:48 -0700, drguyacheson wrote:

I am also very interested in the Butterfly vario. I have some questions
that the Butterfly people have not answered for me yet.

I fly with a mechanical vario on the T.E. probe and my 302 with
electronic compensation. I wanted two independent systems and I was
having difficulties with the 302 and mechanical varios on the same T.E.
probe line.

Feeding both a capacity-based vario and a pressure sensing vario from the
same TE probe is known to cause problems if the T-junction is close to
both instruments. Moving the T-junction away from the panel, i.e. using
long connections between the T and the two varios fixes it. There's a
note on Mike Borgelt's website saying that if the T-junction is either
under your seat pan or behind it the problem should disappear.

What issues could be anticipated with the Butterfly vario and a
mechanical vario (Winter or Sage) sharing the same T.E. probe?

As described above.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 19th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 19 May 2013 21:19:48 UTC+3, wrote:
I am also very interested in the Butterfly vario. I have some questions that the Butterfly people have not answered for me yet.

I fly with a mechanical vario on the T.E. probe and my 302 with electronic compensation. I wanted two independent systems and I was having difficulties with the 302 and mechanical varios on the same T.E. probe line.

How would the Butterfly work with electronic compensation? Any significant loss of functions?

What issues could be anticipated with the Butterfly vario and a mechanical vario (Winter or Sage) sharing the same T.E. probe?

Guy Acheson "DDS"

I have BF and mechanical vario (0,3l capacity) connected to same TE tube. I haven't witness any problems so far. BF vario requires TE tube, there is no option for electronic compensation.

krasw
Old May 19th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:50:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone used these two varios in the same flight? How do they compare?

The Butterfly has flap input, analog potentiometer so continuous reading. I don't know if they use it for anything, but the input is there.
Old May 22nd 13, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:24:46 PM UTC+2, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:50:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Anyone used these two varios in the same flight? How do they compare?

The Butterfly has flap input, analog potentiometer so continuous reading. I don't know if they use it for anything, but the input is there.

yep, we do. We will use it in the future for flap position indication and flap optimization + to help filter flap-induced (dynamic) changes in lift better.