Hello folks........

Old March 8th 05, 08:46 PM
Paul kgyy

There's nothing better than learning to fly. Getting a commercial job
should not be a problem if you have the hours and experience, but
getting to that point involves working many hours for very low pay.
Commercial flying for many new pilots involves long hours - picking up
cargo at 3AM, all kinds of weather. It's a superb way to build
experience but anything but easy.

Old March 9th 05, 04:47 PM
Jens Krueger

S. wrote:

Yep, this is a consideration. At the school I was looking at, it's $350 for
foreign student registration, plus $130 for Homeland Security check.

There is no reason for a charge for "foreign student registration" or
downpayment or whatever. It's a sure sign of a place that likes to rip
you off or has way to much administrative overhead to pay for.

The 130$ for the TSA is a different charge though, and should be payed
by yourself directly to the TSA. Have a look a
www.flightschoolcandidates.gov for the due process.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shady operators out there... Especially
in Florida. You might want to have a look at www.pprune.org in the
wannabe section. There's some great advice for choosing a flightschool.

And lastly, $35K for an "ab initio" training is only a marketing tool.
All schools end up charging more for some obscure reasons. My advice
would be to go for "pay as you go", it also makes it easier for you to
change schools if something goes wrong or you are not happy.

This from someone wo started flying at the age of 33. Now, five years
later, I'm flying a Falcon Jet. Sure, it was a long way and there were a
lot of obstacles to overcome, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old March 11th 05, 12:17 PM
S.

"Jens Krueger" wrote in message

Yep, this is a consideration. At the school I was looking at, it's $350
for
foreign student registration, plus $130 for Homeland Security check.

There is no reason for a charge for "foreign student registration" or
downpayment or whatever. It's a sure sign of a place that likes to rip
you off or has way to much administrative overhead to pay for.

Exactly as I thought ! I know my capabilities, and I' sure that extra hours
etc are added in, etc.....

The 130$ for the TSA is a different charge though, and should be payed
by yourself directly to the TSA. Have a look a
www.flightschoolcandidates.gov for the due process.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shady operators out there... Especially
in Florida. You might want to have a look at www.pprune.org in the
wannabe section. There's some great advice for choosing a flightschool.

And lastly, $35K for an "ab initio" training is only a marketing tool.
All schools end up charging more for some obscure reasons. My advice
would be to go for "pay as you go", it also makes it easier for you to
change schools if something goes wrong or you are not happy.

This from someone wo started flying at the age of 33. Now, five years
later, I'm flying a Falcon Jet. Sure, it was a long way and there were a
lot of obstacles to overcome, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Brilliant ! Thanks for this post Jens, it's wise and informative. I am
extremely fired up by this idea at the moment, I have wanted to fly (as a
living) since I was 7 or 8. I will not let age and hard study stop me......

I am currently considering The Professional Course here (your comments would
be welcome!) :-

http://www.flyaaa.com/courses.html

Steve.

Old March 11th 05, 12:19 PM
S.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

There's nothing better than learning to fly. Getting a commercial job
should not be a problem if you have the hours and experience, but
getting to that point involves working many hours for very low pay.
Commercial flying for many new pilots involves long hours - picking up
cargo at 3AM, all kinds of weather. It's a superb way to build
experience but anything but easy.

And character building (!). As you say, there's nothing better......

Thanks Paul.

Old March 12th 05, 11:18 PM
Jens Krueger

S. wrote:

This from someone wo started flying at the age of 33. Now, five years
later, I'm flying a Falcon Jet. Sure, it was a long way and there were a
lot of obstacles to overcome, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Brilliant ! Thanks for this post Jens, it's wise and informative. I am
extremely fired up by this idea at the moment, I have wanted to fly (as a
living) since I was 7 or 8. I will not let age and hard study stop me......

Well, then go for it! The sky's the limit! :-)

I am currently considering The Professional Course here (your comments would
be welcome!) :-

http://www.flyaaa.com/courses.html

Well, like I said in my other post, I don't like the fact, that I'm
bound to one school. Where I got my intial ratings, there were five
schools to choose from. And that's just at one airport. That's the good
thing about Florida: Lots of schools to choose from.

I wouldn't get to fired up about those all-in-one places. For one, you
can get probably the same for less money yourself, remember, those
packages are based on average customers plus you WILL pay more, that's
in the system. Second, the freedom of being able to go to another place,
if you're not happy is priceless. The internet is full of stories from
student pilots who had to stick it out with bad schools/Instructors
because they couldn't get their deposits or downpayments back.

I, for instance, did my private with one school, then for the hour
building I shopped around the airport and found a real good deal at
another place. For some time I was in a hotel (long-term rates can be
quite good), and then I moved in with one of the instructors when his
roommate found a job elsewhere. That saved me a lot on accomodation. The
IFR then I did with another School, and so on. Once you're started
you'll meet so many different people and get so much insight how this
whole thing works, you'll be happy to have the freedom of not being
bound to one place.

I guess for you the first big decision is to go either the JAA or the
FAA way, depending on the visa situation. If you want to instruct in
England afterwards, you're pretty much set on the JAA.

If you like some more info, you can email me. In my reply-address
replace the muelltonne (Which is german for trashcan ;-) with jens, so
it's my first name at jjk dot cc

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.