Question about corporate insurance.

Old January 23rd 04, 08:06 PM
Captain Wubba

Default Question about corporate insurance.

Hello. I'm a Commercial Pilot with single engine, multi engine, and
instrument ratings. I have a little less than 600 hours total time,
and only about 20 multi. I have been approached about a possible
position on the West Coast that would be a combination IT staffer and
co-pilot for a King Air 200 the company is going to buy. I know the
owner of the company, and it is pretty solid that I could have the job
if I want it.

My question is about insurance. Now the owner would send me to
training for a type rating in the King Air, but will an insurance
company have a major problem, if the captain is an ATP with a ton of
King Air time? Will they charge a fortune because of my limited
experience? Do they care about the hours the right-seater has? While
they are only looking at the King Air for now, would the insurance
company care about the co-pilot time if it were a Citation? Anybody
who could shed some light on this, or who has experience in this would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cap

Old January 24th 04, 07:23 PM
Captain Wubba

Well, I tried calling a couple aviation insurance agencies myself. One
said they couldn't give me a number until I had a specific aircraft
they could run, and when asked about a ballpark figures, they said 'it
all depends', which wasn't really helpful. The other place I called
doesn't do commercial insurance anymore. So I was just joping somebody
here had some experience in this area without me having to call a
dozen different agencies.

Cheers,
Cap

Judah wrote in message . ..
Why don't you and the owner call the insurance agency and let them give you
a quote...

(Captain Wubba) wrote in
om:

Old January 25th 04, 12:30 AM
Judah

If the owner called with you, I'm sure he could give them the exact tail
number - it's just a quote...
(Captain Wubba) wrote in
om:

Well, I tried calling a couple aviation insurance agencies myself. One
said they couldn't give me a number until I had a specific aircraft
they could run, and when asked about a ballpark figures, they said 'it
all depends', which wasn't really helpful. The other place I called
doesn't do commercial insurance anymore. So I was just joping somebody
here had some experience in this area without me having to call a
dozen different agencies.

Cheers,
Cap

. ..

Old January 25th 04, 04:26 PM
Mike Rapoport

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial insurance". From your
description this is not a commercial operation and you are not even a
required crewmember. I don't see why the insurance company even needs to
know that you exist at all.

Mike
MU-2

"Captain Wubba" wrote in message
om...
Well, I tried calling a couple aviation insurance agencies myself. One
said they couldn't give me a number until I had a specific aircraft
they could run, and when asked about a ballpark figures, they said 'it
all depends', which wasn't really helpful. The other place I called
doesn't do commercial insurance anymore. So I was just joping somebody
here had some experience in this area without me having to call a
dozen different agencies.

Cheers,
Cap

. ..

Old January 25th 04, 07:25 PM
Captain Wubba

The problem is they don't *have* one yet. They don't know the tail
number. They know they are going to buy one, just not which one. Which
is why I'm trying to find out some 'ballpark' information in this
forum.
Cap

Judah wrote in message . ..
If the owner called with you, I'm sure he could give them the exact tail
number - it's just a quote...
(Captain Wubba) wrote in
om:

Well, I tried calling a couple aviation insurance agencies myself. One
said they couldn't give me a number until I had a specific aircraft
they could run, and when asked about a ballpark figures, they said 'it
all depends', which wasn't really helpful. The other place I called
doesn't do commercial insurance anymore. So I was just joping somebody
here had some experience in this area without me having to call a
dozen different agencies.

Cheers,
Cap

. ..

Old January 25th 04, 07:28 PM
Captain Wubba

Well, from what I have been able to gather, most King Air 200s are
operated with two pilots. Apparently insurance rates drop
significantly when operated two-pilot, and I would assume that safety
increases dramatically as well. Problem is, the only 2 people I know
(personally) who fly King Airs for companies both operate in a
two-pilot environment, and both have several thousand hours, and one
is an ATP...so I they have no idea how the insurance company would
feel about a two-pilot operation with the co-pilot being
inexperienced.

Cap

Old January 25th 04, 07:31 PM
Judah

Ahhh.. Sorry - my confusion. I misread the original post and thought they
already owned the King Air...

Assuming the owner is buying the plane through a broker, maybe the owner can
ask the salesman to help with getting a quote from an agency...

Just trying to help here. I have absolutely no experience in this regard.

So I will wish you good luck and shut up now.

(Captain Wubba) wrote in
m: