Larger Cirrus Design Aircraft?

Old January 3rd 05, 02:41 AM
Will

Default Larger Cirrus Design Aircraft?

Has Cirrus said anything regarding plans for a future aircraft
that is larger? I would really like to see an aircraft from
them that seats six or eight passengers.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Old January 4th 05, 12:53 PM
john smith

Their first aircraft was a six-seat pusher.

Old January 4th 05, 02:53 PM
Dave Stadt

Will wrote:
Has Cirrus said anything regarding plans for a future aircraft
that is larger? I would really like to see an aircraft from
them that seats six or eight passengers.

It was barely a 6 seat. Now with heavier engines which will need more fuel
who knows what they will deliver.

Old January 4th 05, 06:38 PM
john smith

According to James Fallows in his book, the Klapmeier brothers were
exploring a jet early on. Then Eclipse came along and stole their
thunder. They still have growth plans, they just aren't telling what
they are.

Old January 4th 05, 07:56 PM
Peter Duniho

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...
"john smith" wrote in message
Their first aircraft was a six-seat pusher.

It was barely a 6 seat. Now with heavier engines which will need more
fuel
who knows what they will deliver.

Your reply seems to imply that you're talking about existing "very light
jet" designs in the works, possibly the Eclipse (which did indeed switch
from a lighter Williams engine to a heavier one, Pratt & Whitney if I
recall).

John's reply was obviously referring to the single-engine, composite
kit-plane that Cirrus produced prior to getting into the certificated
airplane business. Here's one photo:
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...erson/3533.htm

If I recall, it was actually a five-seat design, intended for a 300hp
engine. Of course, each builder would be free to modify those
specifications as they saw fit, but as designed the airplane worked
reasonably well.

I've always been a little disappointed they didn't go into production with
the VK-30, but a) their current designs are certainly more marketable, and
b) they may even be technically superior (if I recall, there were issues
with the prop drive shaft, as well as engine cooling).

Pete

Old January 4th 05, 10:10 PM
Dave Stadt

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...
"john smith" wrote in message
[...]

Oops, yes I was thinking of the Eclipse.

Old January 5th 05, 02:36 PM
Ken Ibold

When I have pushed several Cirrus reps on this issue, they smile and say,
"Alan has four kids. What do YOU think?"