A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Old September 4th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 12:59:11 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 5:14:34 PM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Monday, 3 September 2018 17:04:24 UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Checking sailplane tracker, there are no gliders indicated that go missing yesterday in that area. Yesterday was obviously a strong soaring day with good altitudes based on the great flights out of Truckee and Minden. So it makes no sense that a cross country sailplane would have any reason to be on the face of Slide Mountain early in the day and especially not doing loops there as suggested by the witness on the news show. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Steve and others, I received this from the Soar Truckee Yahoo Groups 45 minutes ago. Tragic. If it is in appropriate I will remove but it was sent via a public group

Dear TTSA-Soar Truckee Pilots and Family

It is with deep sorrow that I confirm the passing of Sergio Colacevich and Jim Alton in the crash of Sergio’s and Mike Mayo’s Duo Discus yesterday. We have no details of the how or why, only the result, which took place Saturday September 2nd near the base of Slide Mountain in rugged terrain.

We are maintaining constant contact with Amy Colacevich and Millie Alton (who is at the glider port). We will provide updates as they become known..

Please keep both our dear friends in your hearts and prayers.

Richard Pearl
Vice President, TTSA

Many of us who knew Sergio and Jim are devastated. I lost 2 friend this weekend. We dont know much but we do know it was not due to aerobatics or engine restart as I've seen in the news.
They were last seen at 14K over Mount Rose few minutes before they were observed 5 miles east at around 9500 feet when the glider broke apart either due to flutter or high G. From Mt Rose they were suppose to go west to start the task as it was a local contest day. So we know they had no reason to dive 5 miles east and do acro. Neither of them was known to do acro, especially not low in the mountains and during a contest. What was observed by the witnesses is a glider out of control at its final stage before breaking up in the air which can certainly look like aerobatics. Similarly they had no reason to try an airstart high over the mountains. The flutter noise may have sounded like a motor.
That's all we know and I doubt we will ever know more as the fire consumed the glider.
My deep condolences to the families and all of us who will miss them.
This had been the worst year for glider accidents since I started flying 20 years ago.

Ramy

Thanks for some context Ramy.

I am profoundly sad to lose my friends like this. My deepest sympathies to all who knew and cared about them and particularly to their families.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old September 4th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I can't say I knew either pilot.
Still, sad for their families and friends, so to that, my condolences.
Old September 4th 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
In general, how does a glider start a forest fire unless gas is onboard?

Sad either way with a wrecked aircraft.

Yep, the west is having a bad forestfire season......

Witnesses say the initial fire began prior to the plane breaking into 2 pieces, so it brought fire with it to the side of Slide Mountain. One of the people on board was my brother-in-law. Pray for peace within the remaining families. Way too Soon.
Old September 4th 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Ramy,

Thanks for correcting some of the unfortunate claims in local media by folks who saw the last part of the flight by glider and likely did not understand what they were seeing.

What a terrible loss, well known and loved folks in the regional glider community, we will all miss Sergio and Jim.

Darryl
Old September 4th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Witnesses say the initial fire began prior to the plane breaking into 2 pieces, so it brought fire with it to the side of Slide Mountain. One of the people on board was my brother-in-law. Pray for peace within the remaining families. Way too Soon.

If this turns out true this will be a key information. The witness I talked to (a paraglider pilot who was at the air the same time) did not see fire before impact. I didn't find reference to fire before impact in the news (only mention of explosion which could be the glider starting to break apart)..
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Ramy
Old September 7th 18, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:02:05 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:

If this turns out true this will be a key information. The witness I talked to (a paraglider pilot who was at the air the same time) did not see fire before impact. I didn't find reference to fire before impact in the news (only mention of explosion which could be the glider starting to break apart).
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Ramy

The fire began about 10 to 15 seconds after the fuselage hit the ground. It did not start in the air.
Old September 7th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks. This is consistent with other eye witnesses.

Ramy
Old September 27th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

NTSB preliminary report:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...=HTML&IType=FA

Ramy
Old September 27th 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 8:12:39 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
NTSB preliminary report:

Ramy

It's still distressing.
Can't imagine Sergio doing intentional loops.
Paraglider pilots might call something a loop though it looks to you or I like a roll or something else. Two seconds?
But if the fuselage was in the foreground of the NTSB photo we'll never learn more.
Jim
Old September 27th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:12:39 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
NTSB preliminary report:

Ramy

This is actually quite helpful. "Loops" means up and down, not spiral dive, and paraglider pilots know the difference. Nobody does multiple loops to the point of structural failure intentionally or unintentionally. That pretty much screams elevator control failure, and somehow getting stuck in a rearwards position. It also explains why the pilots might not have been able to bail out. Yes, I'm speculating, but that's likely all we'll get.

John Cochrane