Winch Clinic hosted by Carolina Soaring Association

Old September 9th 18, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Winch Clinic hosted by Carolina Soaring Association

Hi all in Glider-Land,

the Carolina Soaring Association is hosing its annual Winch Clinic. The clinic will be taking place on Friday, October 5 (ground school) and October 6/7 (flying). Since our home field KSPA is still closed due to construction, we will be flying at the Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00).
First come - first serve, limited to 10 participants.
The total cost is $350 with a $100 non-refundable deposit.

Please contact me at 1nf0 At CarolinaSoaring doT Co m if you are interested..

Uli
'AS'
Old September 9th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

How many winch launches does each participant do?

How high is the nominal launch of your two place trainer?

What aircraft do you use for training?

Spectra or steel rope?
Old September 9th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
How many winch launches does each participant do?

How high is the nominal launch of your two place trainer?

What aircraft do you use for training?

Spectra or steel rope?

Hi Son,

How many winch launches does each participant do?

We strive to get each participant at least 10 launches.

How high is the nominal launch of your two place trainer?

During normal operation, we typically get anywhere between 12-1400ft AGL, depending on wind and pilot/winch operator skill. We also had several tows to 2,000ft, when the stars aligned just right. However, during the winch clinics, we opt for a shorter run, so the release altitudes will be lower in order to speed up the turn-around. The students are supposed to learn the phases of the launch - soaring away is not the objective.

What aircraft do you use for training?

We use our G103 and may have also a DG500 available.

Spectra or steel rope?

Seriously?? ;-) We have been using Spectra ever since the winch got upgraded to its current state years ago. Although steel cable or even solid wire is still being used around the world, Spectra has many advantages outweighing the higher cost.

Uli
'AS'
Old September 10th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

That all seems very reasonable. I've done winch launching at two locations and I'm looking forward to my next winching experience.

I've no opportunity to winch close to home, but I've found winch training to be invaluable and fun. It tuned up my reflexes and 'pre-launch focus'. And after practicing a dozen 'simulated rope breaks' on winch at a variety of altitudes, I'm much more confident that I'll properly handle a rope break on aerotow. Winching is also a good opportunity to 'tune up' my landings, much less painful than paying for 10 aerotows to pattern altitude.

Offering this clinic is a valuable service to the soaring community. Thanks.

Old September 10th 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Quite right, I consider learning to winch launch vastly improves ones cable break reactions, and low circuit practices.

Winch Clinic hosted by Carolina Soaring Association AS Soaring 1 May 2nd 16 09:30 PM
Winch Clinic Frank Whiteley Soaring 22 October 3rd 12 03:39 PM
WINCH TRAINING WEEK AT BERMUDA HIGH SOARING IN SOUTH CAROLINA [email protected] Soaring 0 September 26th 09 11:39 PM
(USA) Region 5 East hosted by Bermuda High Soaring - South Carolina [email protected] Soaring 0 February 11th 09 03:25 AM
Winch Clinic Southern Nevada November 11 and 12 [email protected] Soaring 0 October 31st 06 03:26 AM