Cockpit Size and Comfort

Old May 3rd 15, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Rinaldi

Default Cockpit Size and Comfort

I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad shoulders, about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!
Old May 3rd 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad shoulders, about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!

What performance/price range? It may not be the highest performing glass ship, but the Grob 102 has a wider than average cockpit.
Old May 3rd 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:04:57 AM UTC-5, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad shoulders, about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!

Unless you are oddly proportioned, you should fit fine in most cockpits. I'm about the same specs with a longer torso. My only issue in a number of gliders is positioning the seat back so my head doesn't hit the canopy.

Old May 3rd 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Pentecost[_2_]

At 14:04 03 May 2015, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the
largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad

shoulders,
about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!

Probably best avoided if you are big across the shoulders are the LS
gliders
especially 6, 7 or 8 as they are quite tight. The LS4 is a bit better.
Schempp-
Hirth and Schleicher gliders generally better (except S-H A models which
are
very narrow, even worse than LS6/7/8,)
Regards,
Roy

Old May 3rd 15, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Mike, I am similar dimensions to you. I fit fine in a Std Jantar but super tight in an LS6. It's comfortable when flying but I am in solid contact with each shoulder.
I have yet to try a Schempp or Schleicher glider but will be pestering some club members when I get a chance.

Cheers Ben

Old May 4th 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

I would second the option the Grob 102, it is about as wide as they come.

I am 5'9" weight 200 lbs with shoulders that were tuned for swimming. I fly a DG 800 with zero spare room at the shoulders.

Old May 4th 15, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Salvo[_2_]

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad shoulders, about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!

The ship with the roomiest cockpit I have ever flown, is the Genesis 2. There is plenty of shoulder room.
Old May 5th 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

Standard Cirrus was probably the most comfortable and commodious I have ever flown. Pik 20 was nearly as good and large. ASW-20B was comfortable but a lot tighter. 27 is tighter still, but I have no problems flying a long time. Just need to be well organized with where everything is before takeoff.
Before buying arrange to sit in whatever it is for an extended time. Preferably on the trailer dolly so that you can see what fun it is to pull the gear up and put it down. And to waggle all other items. Spoiler handles can end up trapped by pants' leg. Imagine trying to take a pee, or get sandwich out of pocket. Can you reach the panel when sitting in a position where you will not constantly be bashing head on canopy.
Try it all out before exchanging hard earned gold.
PS: Yes Grob is large but it is a flying tank ...

Old May 5th 15, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:04:57 AM UTC-5, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new (to me) XC ship. Which ones have the largest/roomiest cockpit? Not for a tall person, one with broad shoulders, about 5'9 and 200lbs. Discuss and Thank you in advance!

The Genesis II cockpit is very large and comfortable. At 200 Lb. you can easily move around in it. You could also grow an additional 8 inches and 40 Lbs. and still be comfortable.

LS6"C" (17.6) Cockpit Size Mike Williams Soaring 6 February 16th 15 12:52 AM
Discus 2a cockpit size EdByars Soaring 1 March 18th 10 04:37 AM
Discus 2a cockpit size Stephen[_3_] Soaring 7 March 17th 10 06:57 PM
Cockpit size of Libelle? Kevin Morris Soaring 4 July 15th 04 11:32 PM
Discus 2b cockpit comfort? Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 11 January 12th 04 09:03 PM