Cockpit Size and Comfort

Old August 27th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cockpit Size and Comfort

Later model ASW 24 is possible (there are at least three cockpit sizes, IIRC). 27/28/29 are similar if not a bit larger. All have Waibel's safety cockpit design. There's an aftermarket instrument panel with more knee room for the 24 that helped get me into mine; available from Streifeneder years ago.. Don't know if it's available (or needed) on later gliders.

Chip Bearden
6'3", 185 lbs.
Old August 27th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

At 18:56 27 August 2018, GeneReinecke wrote:

I would like to restart this thread: I amd 6'4", 210lbs,

lanky former high
=
school basketball player build. I flew an ASW-20C for 200+

hours but it
was=
a tight fit even with the seat back removed and custom

cushions
installed.=
I am in the market for a newer generation glider: ASW-

27/29/24, Ventus
2a/=
b, maybe ASH-26 (I ruled out LS ships due to the small

cockpits and (I
beli=
eve) lack of crashworthy cockpits in -6,8,10.)=20
Can I get some input from guys near my size as to the fit

in these
gliders?=
=20
Have learned all the tricks: My chute has been rigged to

move bulk down
low=
, I wear hiking shoes with thin heels, used astronaut foam

in seat/back
cus=
hions, I cut my beer consumption (OK, sorry, that was a

bridge too far.)
Any constructive input would be appreciated.
Gene

If you can fit in an ASW20 you should find the DG800x

series no problem; pluses are excellent durability of gel coat,
excellent visibility, good crash worthiness and the potential
to fit the NOAH pilot ejection system. The DG800 series is
not really "newer generation" though, its wing section does
not like rain or bugs, if you don't fly comps this may be no
problem. The 18m DG808C (self launcher) is not better than
a 15m ASW27; neither come close to the performance of an
ASG29 or Ventus 2.
The DG600 (a very much older design) is, reputably, trickier
to fly well than the newer 800; the 600's biggest potential
problem is lack of wing moulds (I think they were lost in a
fire) so any serious wing repair could be a difficult
proposition.
You'd certainly fit in an Antares.
Dave Walsh

Old August 28th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

[...]

On the Schempp-Hirth side, I have a Discus-2b, am 74" tall and
weigh ~ 205 Lbs. I normally fly it with the rudder pedals pulled
back 2 notches, legs flat on the floor, a normal chute with factory
seat back and head rest installed. You would have no problems
fitting in this cockpit. I assume that the Ventus-2b is the same.

RO

Old August 28th 18, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 11:56:18 AM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
I would like to restart this thread: I amd 6'4", 210lbs, lanky former high school basketball player build. I flew an ASW-20C for 200+ hours but it was a tight fit even with the seat back removed and custom cushions installed. I am in the market for a newer generation glider: ASW-27/29/24, Ventus 2a/b, maybe ASH-26 (I ruled out LS ships due to the small cockpits and (I believe) lack of crashworthy cockpits in -6,8,10.)
Can I get some input from guys near my size as to the fit in these gliders?
Have learned all the tricks: My chute has been rigged to move bulk down low, I wear hiking shoes with thin heels, used astronaut foam in seat/back cushions, I cut my beer consumption (OK, sorry, that was a bridge too far.)
Any constructive input would be appreciated.
Gene

I think you would fit into an ASH26e (Jerry Plazowicki (sp?) is 6' 5" and flies a 26). I just happen to have one for sale - see my ad at Wings & Wheels.

Tom

LS6"C" (17.6) Cockpit Size Mike Williams Soaring 6 February 16th 15 12:52 AM
Discus 2a cockpit size EdByars Soaring 1 March 18th 10 04:37 AM
Discus 2a cockpit size Stephen[_3_] Soaring 7 March 17th 10 06:57 PM
Cockpit size of Libelle? Kevin Morris Soaring 4 July 15th 04 11:32 PM
Discus 2b cockpit comfort? Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 11 January 12th 04 09:03 PM