Sumo wrestlers and soaring

Old April 26th 04, 08:33 AM
John0714

Default Sumo wrestlers and soaring

I am new here. Is this about gliders that are towed by airplanes etc?
I did it once when I was just a little smaller. But now I am the size of a sumo
wrestler(: Perhaps if the gliders could handle folks like us the sport might be
in better shape even if we were not

Old April 26th 04, 02:49 PM
elZee

"John0714" wrote in message
I am new here. Is this about gliders that are towed by airplanes etc?
I did it once when I was just a little smaller. But now I am the size of a sumo
wrestler(: Perhaps if the gliders could handle folks like us the sport might be
in better shape even if we were not

John,

You're not as stupid as I look!

I too am built like a Sumo and would lurve to get back into gliding but alas my
AUW is far too high to ever contemplate soaring anytime in the future .. such is
my life.

elZee

Old April 26th 04, 08:34 PM
goneill

Isn't the HP24 being designed for 300lb cockpit weight, the prototype
is under construction at the moment.

Old April 26th 04, 10:07 PM
Nyal Williams

At 19:42 26 April 2004, Goneill wrote:
Isn't the HP24 being designed for 300lb cockpit weight,
the prototype
is under construction at the moment.

@#$%$#@$#!!! I already have to carry 40lbs of ballast.
Take a lesson from predatory birds; they don't fly
till they have burnt off the calories from the last
eating binge!

Old April 27th 04, 09:36 PM
tango4

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
At 19:42 26 April 2004, Goneill wrote:
Isn't the HP24 being designed for 300lb cockpit weight,
the prototype
is under construction at the moment.

@#$%$#@$#!!! I already have to carry 40lbs of ballast.
Take a lesson from predatory birds; they don't fly
till they have burnt off the calories from the last
eating binge!

Either that or they have roosts high on mountain sides so the can soar away
after mealtimes. Vultures are supposedly incapable of flapping more than
about 20 times before becoming exhausted and having to rest before trying
again, that having been said they can thermal away from 20' AGL or so.

:-)
Ian

Old April 28th 04, 05:57 AM
elZee

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
At 19:42 26 April 2004, Goneill wrote:
@#$%$#@$#!!! I already have to carry 40lbs of ballast.
Take a lesson from predatory birds; they don't fly
till they have burnt off the calories from the last
eating binge!

Please lets not get into a discussion about eating, dieting or any other 'weight
disorder' .. the fact remains that there are any number of people in this day and
age (for whatever reason) whose AUW well exceeds the current crop of gliders
available to go soaring in (that is _after_ we have released our powered tow
craft).

I for one would be spending a portion my hard earnt cash in the gliding community
again if only it could cope with my size. I'm not asking for help here nor am I
expecting the community to 'lay it on' for me .. I'm quite capable of looking
after myself (except perhaps for keeping my weight down ... OK?)

You never know .. with all the extra physical exercise achieved in simply pushing
aircraft around etc etc .. it would assist in actually getting fitter and even
reducing in size!! .. but if you think I'm going to spend all day at a gliding
field and watch everyone esle fly the 'gun' ships while I remain earthbound
lumpin' these machines around .. well forget it!

Cheers,

elZee