A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

Old February 15th 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

torstai 15. helmikuuta 2018 14.01.12 UTC+2 kirjoitti:

We are actually experimenting with ECMWF as an initialisation source. If it provides measurable improvement we will utilise it for regions where it does so.

Wow, I thought ECMWF boundaries would cost arm and leg to use commercially. I bet it provides measurable improvement, it is the best model currently available and on different level than GFS. Now if someone would run ensemble of RASP using ECMWF ENS members as boundaries, we would get usable thermal forecasts for next week instead of 2 days...
Old February 20th 18, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

FYI...

I will be presenting at the SSA Convention Reno 9am March 1st:

"Soaring Forecasting – Models and Websites UPDATE"

Will be comparing Skysight.io, XCSkies, and TopMeteo ... special mention to RASP and Paul Scorer's work. This will include Pros/Cons of each service and updates since my February 2017 Soaring magazine article.

I'll also show the latest web sites for modeling output, radar, GOES-16,17 imagery... the latest and best. Plus my take on "Weather in the Cockpit - 2018".

Bernd Fisher will use some of my time to talk about TopMeteo

Matthew Scutter will be presenting on Skysight.io Friday Mar 2nd, 11am

Walt Rogers WX

PS - If you are driving to Reno.. please check latest forecasts. Good chance of snow - Tue through Thursday.

Old March 21st 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Is anyone else having trouble getting Skysight to display the forecast models for Saturday March 24, 2018?

I can get Friday and Sunday, but Saturday comes up blank for the entire US East sector. US West appears normal.

Paul A.
Old March 21st 18, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"Saturday comes up blank for the entire US East sector"

Paul- Maybe it is color-coded. White means "snow." Grab yer snowblower and put a tow hitch on it.
Old March 21st 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 10:36:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"Saturday comes up blank for the entire US East sector"

Paul- Maybe it is color-coded. White means "snow." Grab yer snowblower and put a tow hitch on it.

No snow down here in Vero Beach, Florida...just a lot of snowbirds glued to the Weather Channel. ;-)

Seriously, Saturday has no data whatsoever. I sent an email to Skysight alerting them to the anomaly.

Paul A
Old March 21st 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Reminds me of decades ago at a contest (nationals?) in Elmira.
We all sat (I was crew) in the main hanger with a tin roof.
The speaker phone had a met guy talking about the day's forecast, we had to run the volume up on the speaker phone to hear him due to the pounding rain echoing in the hanger as he pronounced, "clear skies, nice CU, go for speed!".
Someone asked him to go look out a window.......a couple minutes later, he stated he needed to review the data......
Windows (of the glass kind, not PC) can be a good thing at times.
;-)
LOL......
Old March 21st 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:18:48 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble getting Skysight to display the forecast models for Saturday March 24, 2018?

I can get Friday and Sunday, but Saturday comes up blank for the entire US East sector. US West appears normal.

Paul A.

I have been having trouble getting the "Potential Flight Distance" to display once I paid for the year Probably just bad timing, but it has been a week now that the above does not display.
Old March 21st 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

It's all working up to Thursday 29 March for me. Could have been fixed in the last few hours?
Matthew is very responsive, but spends most of his time in a different time zone to those in the USA.
Jim
Old March 21st 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

No joy. I've been trying since yesterday, but the Saturday dataset is still missing as of 5pm EDT. The last update was 2:49pm EDT. I'm hoping it does a master data refresh and reruns the algorithms at some point.

Paul A.