Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

Old March 21st 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

One thing to keep in mind is that your eyes can change after cataract surgery. It's been four years since my surgery, and I've gone from 20/10 to 20/20 (from astigmatic changes). FWIW, I chose the fixed focus IO lenses.

-John
Old March 21st 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the explanation RO. The instructor I mentioned was my instrument-airplane instructor. Funny, that instructor never objected to my moving my head around while under the hood or in the cloud, only when landing. Of course we weren't pulling many Gs in the 172.
Old March 21st 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
my head around while under the hood or in the cloud, only when

landing.
Of=
course we weren't pulling many Gs in the 172.

Getting the "leans" while IMC or under a hood can be somewhat
disconcerting, and it has killed people. (think JFK Jr) At least with the

"leans" you have control over your eyes and can focus on your
instruments to counter that form of SD. The other kind (occulagravic?
- I can't remember the exact name it was given in USAF physiology
classes) can be so bad that along with the violent tumbling sensations,
your eyes will also involuntarily twitch up and down uncontrollably.. If
you do that once to yourself while flying (and survive), you will be very
careful to not to do that to yourself ever again if you can avoid it.

Thread drift - yes, but it is the background to the vision choices I have
made which have served me well in the past, and it is one of the
reasons for the choices I will make when it comes time for cataract
replacement surgery, as I will in all probability want to continue flying
aircraft afterwards.

RO

Old March 21st 18, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

How does the monovision approah https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-pub...ses/monovision

work out for pilots?

1.Does it degrade your scan for traffic on the side with close vision?

2.Does the associated degradation of depth perception affect your landings, or do you adapt after a short 'retraining period'?
Old March 22nd 18, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 6:43:39 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
How does the monovision approah https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-pub...ses/monovision

work out for pilots?

1.Does it degrade your scan for traffic on the side with close vision?

2.Does the associated degradation of depth perception affect your landings, or do you adapt after a short 'retraining period'?

My understanding is mono vision contact lenses are not approved for flying by the FAA.
Old March 22nd 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Well well well....I forgot a good nugget of info. I have “Spreadsheet” or “Bookkeeper “ lenses made for my reader glasses that provides a wider field of view.
Again, tri-focal with clear top half for distance over the panel/dashboard, next is 1.0 wide field that allow me to read the instrument panel including the FOs with little head movement, and 2.0 for reading maps and small print,etc.
I then have the Optician gradient dye the lenses Serengetti Amber approaching clear into the lower have.
Sweet Alabama , very happy and the amber contrast gliders nicely.
I also have a non-tint for night flying.
Old March 22nd 18, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

FAA......I have been wearing mono contacts for 45 years. My medical stipulates only that I wear corrective lenses for far and near vision.
Contacts plus bifocals equal corrected vision.
Old March 22nd 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 8:02:15 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
FAA......I have been wearing mono contacts for 45 years. My medical stipulates only that I wear corrective lenses for far and near vision.
Contacts plus bifocals equal corrected vision.

I think we communicated. Here is a reference from FAA 17-2021 FAA brochure on pilot vision.

A Word about Contact Lenses
Monovision contact lenses (one contact lens for distant vision and the other lens for near vision) make the pilot alternate his/her vision; that is, a person uses one eye at a time, suppressing the other, and consequently impairs binocular vision and depth perception. These lenses are not acceptable for piloting an aircraft.
Old March 22nd 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:29:33 PM UTC-7, JB Gunner wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 8:02:15 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
FAA......I have been wearing mono contacts for 45 years. My medical stipulates only that I wear corrective lenses for far and near vision.
Contacts plus bifocals equal corrected vision.

I think we communicated. Here is a reference from FAA 17-2021 FAA brochure on pilot vision.

A Word about Contact Lenses
Monovision contact lenses (one contact lens for distant vision and the other lens for near vision) make the pilot alternate his/her vision; that is, a person uses one eye at a time, suppressing the other, and consequently impairs binocular vision and depth perception. These lenses are not acceptable for piloting an aircraft.

I've tried a mono vision contact lens, and thought it gave up quite a bit of far visual acuity. Of course a pilot can fly with just one eye, so again it depends. I know several pilots who have had monovision Lasik correction (one eye corrected for near vision).
Old March 23rd 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 9:53:03 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
But why would anyone do that when he can have perfect uncorrected
distant vision and simply wear clear vision sunglasses with a bifocal
reader built in.* Seems silly, or maybe just vain, to me to go through
the suggested "alternatives".

--
Dan, 5J

I agree with you for flying, when sunglasses might be necessary anyway, in the rest of life glasses are a serious pain in the ass.