Electric Winch Project

Old September 3rd 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Electric Winch Project

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:43:10 PM UTC-4, Skypilot wrote:
I find all this stuff sexy, in Australia we all live in a bit of a
fantasy of energy, we export our LPG, Coal and Oil like it’s going
out of fashion and the “green” movements of our parties
ensure that subsidies and grants are available to clubs and
organisations for being green. My home club of Kingaroy would be a
perfect site to go for a huge grant for four elec whinches 2xmain and 2x
retrieve. The runway area is 2000m x100m of grass right next to a
bitumen runway, there is power available within 200m of both winch
sites. The only problem is the fact that it’s a certified runway
with probably 1-2 private movements per hour, so the local Shire council
are unlikely to approve winching. It’s a pity as there is a coal
mine 20km away and there is a planned coal mine next to the airstrip and
we have elections soon. If there was ever a time to pitch an alternative
to burning smelly dinosaur bones and reducing the noise foot print for
our solar powered sport now is it

I guess the panacea is to have an electric winch next to a battery bank
powered by solar panels. In Australia this is feesable given the space
and sunshine, BUT here is the crux - it’s battery technology.

The future will have elec self launch gliders, elec tow planes, elec
winches and all of this will be powered by a battery system that is dual
use. The batteries will be in runway edges, house bricks and other
structural items not just a battery.

You will wake up in your house that is a storage facility hooked to the
grid, most of the time you will be a next exporter of energy.

Jump in your electric car and drive up to the field.

Unplug your elec self launch Libelle and plug your car in, your hangar
will have a storage battery bank in the wall bricks.

Tow your glider out to the runway with your elec golf cart and launch
into the wild blue yonder with your retractable self launch system with
prop goverening.

Once airborne you will go find a big fat thermal and redeploy your self
launch prop mast and reverse the prop to recharge your batteries thereby
extending your range.

The next type of comps will be range comps that will allow much greater
distances and speeds, perhaps one day we will see solar panels on wings
that can feed power to the battery system built into the composite
fibres.

Fly until sunset and head to the clubhouse for a beer.

I just don’t understand why so many on here are negative to people
trying to improve things, because let’s face it if we don’t
improve things our sport is dead.

Justin
--
Skypilot

Amen to that, Justin! You hit the nail squarely on the head!

Uli
'AS'
Old September 3rd 18, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

You bunch of electric sissies! I want a glider with a huge freakin pulse jet strapped to it burning heavy crude or coal tar, throwing fire out the back for half a mile, sounding like Gabriel has jacked his trumpet into an amplifier powered by relativistic jets from a supermassive black hole.
Old September 3rd 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 7:05:28 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
I can tell you that the current starting load for a 430 hp electric motor is substantial. Don't know if they are using a soft start or something equal it takes a lot of power to start a 430 hp electric motor. The amp requirements are huge, interesting concept, huge electric requirements. Bob

I think it would take almost 1 mg to start a 430 hp electric motor DOL. Huge power requirement.

Bob - they are all using frequency controllers! These are not your on-off industrial motors used to power a belt conveyor or hammer-mill! Think electric cars ...
Uli
'AS'

Even with a VFD the electrical requirement is huge. Bob
Old September 3rd 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Some very nice High Quality work you guys are doing
on this project! Look forward to seeing finished working winch.
Old September 3rd 18, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That was a pretty interesting bit of science fiction.Â* And the
proceeding was not meant as criticism, only that most of the mentioned
technology is so far into the future that most, if not all of us will
never see it.

My one criticism is not acknowledging that it takes power to make power
(currently) and using a propeller to drive a motor/generator in flight
will create a LOT of drag which translates directly into sink rate.Â*
There's no free lunch yet, except in California.

On 9/2/2018 3:08 PM, Skypilot wrote:
[...]

'Martin Gregorie[_6_ Wrote:
;975440']On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 09:15:40 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:
-
Didn't the German winch require being hooked up to the electrical grid?
It seems the one currently under discussion would be self contained and
portable (on the back of a truck).
-
All the electric winch designs I know about (and I assume the new US
design is similar) require three things: a power supply, a large
electric
motor and a battery bank to act as a buffer between the first two items.

The German Electrowinde winch needs a 12-20 kw mains supply to feed a
220kw motor via its battery buffer, so the batteries aren't just for
decoration.

It seems to me that the winch motor and battery bank capacity will be
much the same whether the winch is configured as a towable trailer, on a

truck chassis or built into a permanent building: they all need the same

three part power train and it really doesn't matter whether the power
source is the mains, a COTS 12-12kw trailer generator parked alongside
or
a truck with all three items installed on it.

A major issue for a mains-powered electric winch, in the UK anyway, is
the cost of cabling the airfield. We looked at it some years back: there

are four places were we put our winch - normally on one end of 04/22 and

less often on one end of 16/34 (obviously this is wind dependent), so
we'd need to wire up all four points on the field with buried cables,
and
the winch points for 34 and 22 are both around 1km from the club house
and hence the nearest mains supply. Wiring our airfield would be quite
expensive. Consequently, we've gone with a Skylaunch running on LPG
(cheap and environmentally benign fuel). And we already had the tractor
used to move it between garage and the day's winchpoint.
-
What's the point? Why not just use a piston engine for the winch then?
-
Because a (much) smaller engine driving a generator to keep the battery
bank topped up is probably more economical to run than a socking great
V8
being running intermittently at high power, particularly when you
include
the cost of wear and tear from temperature-cycling the big engine.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 3rd 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

At 21:35 02 September 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
....and haul/pump the water.

It comes in rivers and streams, pumped up for free by the sun.
Just open a sluice.

Gliders are fusion powered, this extends that to the launch.

Chris

Old September 3rd 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

=
motor is substantial. Don't know if they are using a soft start or
somethin=
g equal it takes a lot of power to start a 430 hp electric motor. The amp
r=
equirements are huge, interesting concept, huge electric requirements.

Bob
=20
I think it would take almost 1 mg to start a 430 hp electric motor

DOL.=
Huge power requirement.
=20
Bob - they are all using frequency controllers! These are not your

on-off=
industrial motors used to power a belt conveyor or hammer-mill! Think
elec=
tric cars ...
Uli
'AS'

Even with a VFD the electrical requirement is huge. Bob

There are a lot of high power electrical systems around, trains for
example. Underground trains in particular.

Chris

Old September 3rd 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Many posts to reply to, I pick yours since new.......

Bad enough for a glider operation to shar an airport with powered craft whether the field has US Federal funding or not.
Then add in digging stuff up to run power lines to either run an electric winch or charge batteries at some decent rate.

I "believe" our private owned, public use, federally funded airfield has most income from the glider operation. This does not mean we can do whatever.

Income is......
Towplane gas use.
At least one hanger.
Tie downs.
TO/landings.
Etc.

I have flown there for OVER 40 years. Look up Steve Bennis, I believe he started the airport, is in the Soaring Hall of Fame, etc. He gave me my pvt and cml glider checkrides.

Digging up the field is still likely a hassle with the current owner to run power lines.

If you can do it, great, pat on the back.
Old September 3rd 18, 10:06 PM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

Hi Dan, all understood, all of the technology is here now other than the small high capacitance cheap batteries. We have Tesla’s, GP15’s, self launch Libelle’s and in my and your country lots of sunshine. In fact one of our club legends who has been gliding for 65 years drove his new Tesla to the club the other day from 220km away. It took two days to recharge on the club mains power
I totally agree about the power and am the biggest supporter of nuclear power but we shall leave that for another day. The prop drag is only related to the torque attached to it, RATS have been around for ages, a goverener in the prop hub will load up the elec motor and via reverese current charge the battery, cleverer people than me will guess but it will probably have to be a 4kt thermal or so. It will all come down to the batteries and the various authorities allowing it to take place. You will probably still have a power bill to pay for the grid to allow society to function.

[quote=Dan Marotta;975487]That was a pretty interesting bit of science fiction.Â* And the
proceeding was not meant as criticism, only that most of the mentioned
technology is so far into the future that most, if not all of us will
never see it.

My one criticism is not acknowledging that it takes power to make power
(currently) and using a propeller to drive a motor/generator in flight
will create a LOT of drag which translates directly into sink rate.Â*
There's no free lunch yet, except in California.

On 9/2/2018 3:08 PM, Skypilot wrote:[color=blue][i]