stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

Old September 9th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Default stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

Pictures of my boom-mounted stab.:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vnlgujvt...jO-itjlIa?dl=0
Old September 9th 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 8:43:22 AM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-5, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
My Kestrel uses a saddle that straps onto the tail boom and is kept from rotating by a section that goes up the fin.

The horizontal stab fits into a full cuff at one end and an open cuff at the other, held in by bungee cord.

If I can get at the ship in the next day or so -- and remember -- I'll take pictures and forward them to you.

Or, you can go to the Wings and Wheels classifieds, look in the "recently sold" for the Slingsby T59 Kestrel and see the cuff.

https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=sold

Sorry, I can't pull it up by itself any more. It is on the first page, though. Can't miss it.

Steve Leonard

That cuff design needs to be secured to the trailer floor also to keep it from sliding forward during stops. As displayed, that strap will not keep it from sliding forward and rolling to the weighted side, which is likely to damage the trim (anti-balance) tab.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 9th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 09:20:28 -0700, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:

Pictures of my boom-mounted stab.:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vnlgujvt...Irl4jO-itjlIa?

dl=0

Disclaimer: I don't use a boom mount - my Libelle's stab is carried in a
frame made of square steel tube and mounted on the trailer floor, but
there are a number of boom-mounts round my club - and they all look more
like an extension of the tail dolly, i.e. they close round the tail boom
immediately in front of the fin, can't jump off the boom or slide forward
along it.

So, if I was making the sort of tailplane mount you want, I'd start by
making or buying a tail dolly kit and modifying that.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old September 12th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:20:30 PM UTC-4, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
Pictures of my boom-mounted stab.:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vnlgujvt...jO-itjlIa?dl=0

Thanks for those pics. What material is it made from?

Matt
Old September 12th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 9:29:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:20:30 PM UTC-4, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
Pictures of my boom-mounted stab.:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vnlgujvt...jO-itjlIa?dl=0

Thanks for those pics. What material is it made from?

Matt

Pretty sure mine is polyester and fiberglass mat.

Steve Leonard
Old September 13th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 10:29:35 UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:20:30 PM UTC-4, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
Pictures of my boom-mounted stab.:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vnlgujvt...jO-itjlIa?dl=0

Thanks for those pics. What material is it made from?

Matt

Looks like run-of-the-mill GRP to me. Nice felt liner material to not scratch the gelcoat and bungee to secure it around the boom.

Someone earlier mentioned a possible problem of the cuff moving forward and then tipping on it's side. Can't easily happen as my boom is tapered and so the cuff doesn't slide forward. The rear support overlaps the fin a bit so it won't rotate.
Old September 17th 18, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We've had a few club trailers with this setup - much like the Kestrel picture functionally but made of two wood pieces with felt pads connected to each other by square section steel tube and strapped to the fuselage. The fuselage taper prevents the saddle from sliding. They work but I've never found it to be a desirable setup myself. Even in the box trailer my ship came in I found it much easier to use the hanging-from-the-ceiling type stowage the builder installed. I found the horizontal stabilizer both added weight to the tail when moving the fuselage out of or into the trailer and made it more awkward to get a grip on it. It does have the advantage over most mount-to-the-floor holders in that you don't need to remove it from the trailer and secure it somewhere before taking the fuselage out though. None of those club trailers were tall enough inside to use the overhead mount for the horizontal stabilizer though. We do have a privately owned Phoebus C at the field in a box trailer where the horizontal stabilizer sits in a floor mounted bracket to the left of the left wing and doesn't need to be taken out before the fuselage and wings - really convenient but unfortunately impossible on most box trailers I've seen due to lack of space.
Old September 19th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Hanging the tail plane near the top of a trailer can cause excess heat to,damage surface in hot environments.
Ive seen a tailplane that had severe gel coat damage on the surface nearest the top of the trailer, despite no signs of failure on any other part of the glider.
Old September 19th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Coincidence, perhaps?

Cobra and Komet trailers have been carrying the horizontal stabilizer
attached to the underside of the top for as long as I can reall (the
mid-80s).Â* I've never seen the damage you described.

On 9/18/2018 6:13 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Hanging the tail plane near the top of a trailer can cause excess heat to,damage surface in hot environments.
Ive seen a tailplane that had severe gel coat damage on the surface nearest the top of the trailer, despite no signs of failure on any other part of the glider.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 19th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:14:23 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Coincidence, perhaps?

Cobra and Komet trailers have been carrying the horizontal stabilizer
attached to the underside of the top for as long as I can reall (the
mid-80s).Â* I've never seen the damage you described.

Mid 70s for me. Yeah, there must be thousands of trailers with the horizontal stab up against the top. I suspect UV was a big contributor. Early trailers didn't include a layer said to specifically block UV. The stab was often the first to go. The second area to craze was often the top of the fuselage behind the canopy: i.e., a big flattish area exposed to UV penetrating the trailer. Obviously other factors were at work (e.g., moisture, stress cracking of the brittle gel coat layer) since the underside of the wings also showed damage eventually.

Chip Bearden