A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

Old April 9th 17, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

Race 3 SeeYou Replay...

https://youtu.be/HVzCCfjBOUQ
Old April 10th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Fun to relive. I for one think they should bring back the option for a bonus point for being first to a turnpoint
Old April 10th 17, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]
external usenet poster

I agree!! Even if it were only a half point, but make it first to each turnpoint adds a nice mix to the equation. Like sprint points in a cycling race. It is easier to follow in a higher altitude position and use the last legs to gather up those who took the most risk. Collecting points enroute would encourage more risk taking by everyone and make for a more interesting race. I might change my strategy (I tried 2 different ones based on length of task) next time if bonus points weren't an option but then again, who wants to follow for that long!! I'd rather fly with Tony!!

Rich
ZO
Old April 10th 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

I actually tried to enact the bonus point on the practice day but the FAI removed that option from the SGP rules this year. Maybe we need to lobby for it to be re-enabled? If I were Tony I would be doing this already behind thebscenes! ;-). Or maybe we can ask for a waiver? I like the idea.

Also, in regards to task length, we were supposed to target 2-3 hours so we had a couple tasks (430 km, etc.) that were a 'touch' long but it was great to take advantage of that amazing Florida soaring weather.

Sean
Old April 10th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:33:28 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
Guys its all good and everyone involved with these events are great people. Especially the organizers who really go above and beyond in almost every case.

My only point here is that a smaller event can be great too, and have many virtues which I feel are overlooked.

Looking forward to this summer already. Good luck to everyone on the great range of events and contests which are scheduled.

Back into hiding...

Sean

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:50:26 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 5:59:17 PM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 3:36:46 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I'll jump in as one of the organizers for the Nephi events every year:

We have pushed hard to maximize the 65 spots allowed by insurance. If insurance allowed us to have 70 spots, at Nephi we would probably have 70 spots

What makes "insurance" decide that 65 is the right number

Bruce,
SSA (Soaring Society of America) states in the competition rules that there is a maximum of 65 gliders per event. While the Nephi gathering is not a "competition", Bruno (CM) uses the SSA to get insurance and therefore has to abide by their rules. I'm sure he has looked into private insurance and I'm guessing that cost was prohibitive.

Fully agree with Sean, small contests are fun and less stressful for all. But we already have plenty of those. Check out most Regionals and you will find few with more than 25-30 gliders signed up. The last couple of contests for example at New Castle VA, one of the most scenic and welcoming places to soar, were at that level and the organizers are getting concerned about covering the costs (we used to have a limit of 42 that was often reached). If you prefer such a lower stress environment for your flying, you have plenty of choices. Not sure that is all good, though.
Old April 10th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

I actually tried to enact the bonus point but the FAI removed the option from the SGP rules this year. Maybe we need to lobby for it to be re-enabled? If I was Tony (or ZO or 711) I would be doing so already behind the scenes! ;-). Maybe we can ask for a waiver? I personally love the idea of a bonus point at the mid-point of the task.

In regards to task length, we are supposed to target 2-3 hour races. We had a couple tasks (430 km, etc.) that were a 'touch' long (per FAI recommendations) but it was great to take advantage of the amazing Florida soaring weather we had that week.

Sean
7T
Old April 10th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 10 April 2017 08:28:42 UTC-6, Sean Fidler wrote:
I actually tried to enact the bonus point but the FAI removed the option from the SGP rules this year. Maybe we need to lobby for it to be re-enabled? If I was Tony (or ZO or 711) I would be doing so already behind the scenes! ;-). Maybe we can ask for a waiver? I personally love the idea of a bonus point at the mid-point of the task.

In regards to task length, we are supposed to target 2-3 hour races. We had a couple tasks (430 km, etc.) that were a 'touch' long (per FAI recommendations) but it was great to take advantage of the amazing Florida soaring weather we had that week.

Sean
7T

Scoring creep? One of the stated desires or outcome of the SGP format is 'who crosses the line first is the winner'. If you can get a point for getting to the turnpoint first, lets take day 3 with seven turnpoints including the steering point, cannot you not really skew the outcome and results? If someone gets to 5 of the turnpoints first and finished 5th they would get 10 points, the same as the winner. Not sure this is the desired outcome. I cannot find previous versions of the SGP rules to see if there was a cap to the number turnpoint points a pilot could get for a given flight. There are various ways to address this but it strays from the simplicity of the format
Old April 10th 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
Scoring creep? One of the stated desires or outcome of the SGP format is 'who crosses the line first is the winner'. If you can get a point for getting to the turnpoint first, lets take day 3 with seven turnpoints including the steering point, cannot you not really skew the outcome and results? If someone gets to 5 of the turnpoints first and finished 5th they would get 10 points, the same as the winner. Not sure this is the desired outcome.. I cannot find previous versions of the SGP rules to see if there was a cap to the number turnpoint points a pilot could get for a given flight. There are various ways to address this but it strays from the simplicity of the format

I think the "Bonus Point" was for being first to a specific turnpoint, only one allowed per day, and declared at the pilot's meeting. So, only one extra point allowed for someone each day. And did you notice that there was a bonus point awarded to the winner of the last day?

Steve Leonard

Old April 10th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Wasn't this one of the plot points in American Flyers? Race ahead of the and grab the bonus points? (Seconds in the movie.)

PA
Old April 10th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sorry for being a little naive - but I am new to Soaring Racing. But here it goes anyway

1. Isn't everyone starting at one time and the first person across the line wins - kind of prime thrill of it. and therefore wondering who won could ruin the rush of victory?

2. Would seem to me that this format demands a small group of skilled pilots, since they all stay very close and making the same very tight turn points - head on are more an issue - i thought that's were lots of collisions happened in the past.

This is no way a criticism - I love the format and watching it was FUN. The YouTube videos of Grand Prix Soaring can compare with any sport on the planet for entertainment - it is a great option. But I would hope it would stay an option not the norm or I would never get to fly a contest LOL

I hope you leave it as is - "The enemy of good is often Better"

my $.02

WH