ClearNav CNv software updates available

Old October 2nd 15, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default ClearNav CNv software updates available

At the usual place... http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

Users with NAV display and XC license can try out our new thermal assistant in the 3.2 beta. There's also an update for 3.1.

Please see release notes, they contain information you'll want to have.

Good Soaring and best regards,

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old October 3rd 15, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Evan, will the thermal assistant display on the main CN screen if
that is coupled to the CNV?

Or will it be necessary to purchase the new style Nav Display
for the CNV to use the assistant?
Old October 4th 15, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 8:36:48 AM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
Evan, will the thermal assistant display on the main CN screen if
that is coupled to the CNV?

Or will it be necessary to purchase the new style Nav Display
for the CNV to use the assistant?

We need to figure this out oursselves :-).

The TA was developed on NAV because that was the convenient platform. It exceeded expectations in alpha testing, we wanted to get it out in the real world as quickly as possible. We aren't finished by any stretch, this is a beta.

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old October 4th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Now you've got me thinking...

Is the thermal assistant transmitted via the serial port? Perhaps
XCSoar will be able to use the data for its thermal assistant (at least
if the developers think it's better than the one they provide).

I hope Max is listening...

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 5th 15, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 11:21:32 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

Is the thermal assistant transmitted via the serial port?*

Not at this time.

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old October 5th 15, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Sunday, 4 October 2015 17:21:32 UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is the thermal assistant transmitted via the serial port?* Perhaps
XCSoar will be able to use the data for its thermal assistant (at
least if the developers think it's better than the one they
provide).

I hope Max is listening...

I hope ClearNav is listening...

The biggest problem the XCSoar developers face regarding hardware is the lack of support from the instrument manufacturers. Only a few of them publish their serial protocols and the rest either ignore requests for documentation or give you an outright "no". The developers don't have the hardware and/or time to try to reverse engineer every proprietary instrument available so if the manufacturers decide to throw up road blocks then rather stick to supported hardware or you as a customer need to put some pressure on the manufacturer to release the info.

Max has stated on the XCSoar forums that people should steer clear of the following manufacturers if they want their hardware to integrate with XCSoar:
- ClearNav
- LX Navigation
- SDI/Zander
- Westerboer
Old October 5th 15, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 12:36:34 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:
[...]

Hey Dan, how's CNv working with XCSoar on your Dell Streak?

-Evan
Old October 5th 15, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

If you are a manufacturer of soaring instrumentation that does computation and display, why would you voluntarily give away your proprietary information to people that produce competitive alternatives for "free"?
Maybe the availability of features one can not get on freeware is a reason to buy the products they produce.
Not everything in life has to available for free on the internet.
There certainly seems to be room for both approaches, each with benefits.
UH
Old October 5th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well... That's really too bad.

So far, I've had excellent results with my ClearNav XC vario feeding my
Dell Streak 5 running XCSoar. Shortly after I switched from a CAI-302
to the ClearNav the CNI folks made software changes such that my system
worked pretty much the same way as it had with the 302.

Dan

Old October 6th 15, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 5 October 2015 15:06:03 UTC+2, wrote:
If you are a manufacturer of soaring instrumentation that does computation and display, why would you voluntarily give away your proprietary information to people that produce competitive alternatives for "free"?

You'd want to give away your proprietary information so that you don't lose potential customers and you grow your customer base.
If people want to integrate a manufacturer's product with a free one then it means that they've already purchased or plan to purchase a product from the manufacturer. The manufacturer would be shooting themselves in their own feet by trying to protect their proprietary protocols/implementations.
Let me give you a real world example.

I intend to fit a modern glide computer and vario to my glider next year. My budget is around $2000 but a vario and glide computer combined is in the $4000 to $6000 bracket. A decent vario is non-negotiable so my only option for the glide computer portion is something like XCSoar, Tophat, iGlide, Oudie/SeeYou, etc. which are free or affordable.
This means I need to find a manufacturer that releases information regarding their instruments so that one of the above products can support it.
ClearNav make some great looking varios but the lack of support with free/affordable glide computers means I need to take my $2000 elsewhere.
ClearNav $0
LXNav $2000

What would the iOS or Android app stores look like if the manufacturers withheld SDK's and documentation regarding the systems and API's preventing 3rd parties from creating custom apps?
If Mercedes Benz made a proprietary tow hook on their vehicles would you be happy being forced to purchase an overpriced Mercedes Benz trailer because generic ones are not compatible?

The power of sharing information and promoting compatibility (even with your competitors) is that you create an eco-system drawing in even more customers than you would have had otherwise. Ten customers spending $2000 vs two customers spending $5000?