Kitplanes August Issue

Old July 1st 04, 10:43 PM
Matt Whiting

Badwater Bill wrote:

Is this the same airplane that you trashed here in this group because
of PSRU failures?

Corky Scott

Yep. That's the same airplane. These guys ironed out the bugs just
like Jack said in the article. I wouldn't worry a bit nowadays to fly
that thing. I actually think the airplane might be safer at this point
than one with a Lycosaur in it to tell you the truth Corky.

Hell, Jess and Tom worked on that thing everyday for nearly a decade.
An intelligent man might think that they actually made some
progress...but, then, this is RAH. Your comments are what I expect.

I'll tell you what Cork Screw. It's more airplane than YOU will most
likely ever fly. In fact it would probably scare you to death
because it's so fast and has so many ponies.

The article was pretty short on details. I haven't checked the belted
site maybe details are there. How many ponies? How fast? The 4.3L in
my pickup is pretty pathetic...

Matt

Old July 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
Badwater Bill

Ah, excellent example of a Phillips segue. Absolutely true to form.

Thanks, Corky Scott

Your post is an excellent example of RAHian bull ****. True to form.
Take some ancient post from the archive and blow it up into plural
failures of the PSRU. Typical D. Moonman **** actually. You should
be ashamed of yourself Corkdust. Don't you have some books to
arrange?

When did the PSRU ever fail?

I'd like to know because I don't remember that it ever did.

Jess had some problems with one batch of defective belts in about
1998. There was one batch that was absolute crap. But the PSRU never
failed in any way that I can recall. That PSRU is bullet proof in my
humble opinion or I'd have never flown it as the test pilot. And I
did go over that thing with a fine tooth comb early on. If I were
going to risk my butt in that thing I had to know all the engineering
on it and I demanded that of Meyers. He provided everything I needed
to convince myself the design was worthy to my satisfaction. Hell,
Jess had been flying that thing in a Globe Swift for years before they
ever installed it in the RV-6A.

So, Corkman, where did I post that anything other than a belt in the
PSRU ever failed? Go find it and repost it here or you're just
another RAHian dork trying to discredit the fine work of a great team
of guys...the guys of the OMABP.

Meyers is not stupid. He's been selling these for a decade. If
anybody knew of anything wrong or even weak on that thing, we'd have
all tried to do whatever we could do to fix the problem.

Nope, Cork Screw, the PSRU was never the problem. The problem was a
series of tiny things that needed to be built or changed that related
to using the automotive engine. And, believe me, if I thought there
was anything wrong on that installation in any way, I'd be the first
one to point it out to Meyers. And... Jess is the type who would
change it in the interest of safety.

BWB

Old July 2nd 04, 05:27 AM
Morgans

"Matt Whiting" wrote

The article was pretty short on details. I haven't checked the belted
site maybe details are there. How many ponies? How fast? The 4.3L in
my pickup is pretty pathetic...

Matt

It isn't at all hard to get 235 HP dyno'ed on a 4.3 Chevy, just by changing
the cam. Lots more, if you play with some other stuff. Nascar ran them for
a while in the Bush series cars. Lots of power available, but short in the
time before overhaul department! g

There is a guy in our EAA chapter that has built a RV, and put a belted 4.3
in it. Here in stock car land, there are plenty of guys that will tear an
engine down, blueprint and balance it, for next to nothing. I think he put
aluminum heads on it, also. Saves quite a few pounds from the stock iron
heads. He has run it quite a bit, and had very good results. A bit high on
fuel consumption, so he built another one, and put a dinky C-150 engine in
it, and gets good cheap, cross country with it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 6th 04, 12:42 AM
Badwater Bill

I didn't take it seriously Bryan. In fact I was going to say
something like "Don't you just love digital photos and Photoshop 6.0!
You can even make an old coot look reasonable enough they'll publish
is mug in a magazine!"

Jesus, by the time you are my age you will have done twice the stuff
I've done. I really haven't done all that much. My biggest problem
was that I wasn't born rich. I had to make every dime before I could
spend it. If my karma is so bad that I have to reincarnate as a poor
boy again, I'll opt for a longer rest period in between lives. You
Buddhists can arrange that can't you? ;--]

Man, your life sounds full and productive as all hell. Hang in there.
I'd be damn proud to be 38 and have done all that you have done.

I'll tell you what really happened to me here when I responded to you.
I just forgot who in the hell you were. All the names get to looking
the same after awhile. I promise you however, that from now on, I
will never forget who you are. You are someone who is a player and
not a bystander. You are in the field of play, not watching from the
sideline. You have my apology Bryan. I'm getting old and I just
didn't connect your name with who you are.

Sorry for that.

Best Wishes,

BWB

Flying to Las Vegas in August Sammy Home Built 10 June 8th 04 04:18 PM
Kitplanes Columns Jim Weir Home Built 30 April 14th 04 08:23 PM
KitPlanes - Home Page by Ron Wanttaja RobertR237 Home Built 40 August 12th 03 10:17 PM
Jim Weir's CO detector design in June Kitplanes Michael Home Built 0 August 8th 03 11:54 PM
Ultralight magazine August 1981 Gilan Home Built 0 July 20th 03 04:34 AM