Scared of mid-airs

Old May 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Scared of mid-airs

On Fri, 05 May 2006 19:09:54 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006 17:40:18 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote in ::

Do you ask for traffic advisories or VFR flight following from ATC?

I do on EVERY flight at an altitude that permits ATC to provide Radar
Traffic Advisory Service.

Same here, hence my asking... G

I've been told by controllers that even they prefer that we ask for
advisories, 'cause that makes one more aircraft talking to them and not
squawking 1200 and flying in the space incommunicato.

I even use them for sightseeing and practice (stalls, steep turns,
etc...) flights. Only once have I been denied due to workload.

Watch out with that heretical stance least the true believers in the
Big Sky Theory characterize you a heathen. :-)
Old May 5th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, I can speak from experience about the aircraft not moving in your
windscreen! I've been involved in a situation once where ATC pointed
out this other aircraft, "N12345, traffic 1 mile, 10:00, indicates 4500"
which happened to be MY altitude. I looked and saw it, was briefly
mesmerized and then nosed down as quickly as I could! I think we had
about 400-500 feet between us! Toooooo close for me! I'd always heard
about the "it doesn't move" theory, but to see it in practice was a good
thing to cement it in my brain...next time, a faster reaction! A
GREAT learning experience for me! It also cemented my belief in using
flight following even more firmly!

Chris G.

And, yes, all is well since I am still here to tell about it.

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
My instructor always told me to look for an object in the sky that does
not appear to be moving. If you see that, do something immediately,
because you are dead-on a collision course.

Old May 5th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks to all that took time to answer!

I went flying after posting, and tried not to focus on the fear.
It worked, but still sat in the back of my head.

Don't think my scan went down though.

I had a near miss once and The Netherlands.

My wife and I took off in a rented Warrior from Groningen (EHGG) to fly to
Oostende in Belgium (EBOS)

A bit west of the EHGG control zone (don't remember how far west) there is
class A airspace around Schiphol extending from 1500 feet and up.

Thus, all spam cans, UL's etc were having a ball between 1000 and 1450
feet....

:-)

i didn't see anyone until I could pick out the excact antenna formation on
the belly of a C172 thet passed me direct overhead....

And I was scanning, but missed a portion at the wrong moment.

I agree, A airspace from 1500 feet around Sciphol is not excactly the middle
of nowhere, so that fact figures in.

I have decided (for now) to avoid that area until I get my instrument
rating, and can file IFR through that part....

Strange thing was the previous time I flew there, ATC was constantly calling
out traffic to us VFR pilots on the Amsterdam info frequency (seperate from
the class A frequency)

I asked about traffic info after the near miss, and was told no radar
service today....

The rest of our trip (to Cannes in southern France) was uneventful.
Just saw a few sailplanes here and there, but they are generally easy to
pick out with their huge white wingspans.

Some might say it's madness to do a cross country from oslo to Cannes 10
days after getting the PPL, but I think that trip tought me more than I will
ever appreciate about flying. Great experience!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing. I feel better about the statistics, will
still keep a good scan, but will not worry anymore.
Bigger chance of being hit by a falling piano downtown I guess....

Frode

"Larry Dighera" skrev i melding

Old May 5th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It's just the odds. The density of airplanes is a LOT smaller in areas
not near airports, airways, and VOR intersections. There is maybe one
or two midairs a YEAR not near an airport (if that). I don't have the
exact stastistics. But it is small. Near an airport, yes, there are
more collilsions. But unfortunately (and I am NOT knocking them, I wish
I had one), the devices that warn you against collision, although they
work near airports, there are SO MANY planes nearby, you pretty much
have to ignore it and use traditional techniques.

Old May 6th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As an old environmental biology professor once said to me:
"Dilution is the solution to pollution". What are the chances of another
aircraft occupying the exact same airspace at the exact same time as mine?

Well, a mathematics professor will tell you - even a zero probability
event can occur if you give it enough of a chance.

(There is a zero probability that if you pick a random number from zero
to one, you will pick 1/2. Nonetheless, that number =is= there, and it
=can= be picked.)

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 6th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have decided (for now) to avoid that area until I get my instrument
rating, and can file IFR through that part....

....where you will still have to engage the Mark I eyeball.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 6th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 5 May 2006 12:09:47 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in . com::

Please explain how the 'big sky theory' will PROTECT you from a MAC.

It won't protect you from it

That is my point.

-- but the odds of a mid-air collision happening in many areas are so
incredibly small as to be virtually zero.

Terrific! Then you'd only be "virtually" dead. :-(

Please describe a few of the areas you think have incredibly small
odds of a MAC.

Example: If you fly in the mid-levels (4 - 8K feet) over rural Iowa,
your odds of being hit by a meteor are probably greater than your odds
of hitting another aircraft. You could probably fly on autopilot with
your eyes closed for 100 years, and never even come close to a MAC.

Doubtful. I'm not convinced. In any event, I'm uncomfortable with
introducing any more probability into flight than necessary.

A competent airman calculates the fuel requirements for a flight,
rather than saying, "there's PROBABLY enough fuel. Nothing to chance

Even in the busy airspace around Chicago, the odds are still greatly in
your favor.

I'm sure that's what the victims of these MACs thought too:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA048A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA048B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA077B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA077A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA022A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA022B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=OPS06IA001&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA025B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FA025A&rpt=p

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA182A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA182B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...05FA117A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...05FA117B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA134B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA134A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA076A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA076B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA055A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA055B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA301A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA301B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA185B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA185A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA151A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA151B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA083A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA083B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA123B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA123A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA104A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4LA104B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA043A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA043B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA095A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA095B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA016A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA016B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA124A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA124B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3LA129A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3LA129B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...03FA059&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3LA022A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3LA022B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA007A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA007B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA098A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA098B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA119A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2FA076A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2FA076B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2FA074A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2FA074B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA012A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA012B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1TA134B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1TA134A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1WA159A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1WA159B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...01LA120&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1FA101A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1FA101B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1FA028A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1FA018A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...1FA018B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA091A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA091B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0IA248A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0IA248B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...00MA273&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...00IA088&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA172A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA172B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...00WA188A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA027A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA027B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA107A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA107B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA081A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA081B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...00FA041&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA003A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA003B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA132A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA132B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9LA204A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9LA204B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA041A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA041B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA126A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA126B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9LA048A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9LA051A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9LA051B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...99IA036&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8GA127A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...98RA075A&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...98RA075B&rpt=p
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA135A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA118A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA086A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA086B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7FA208A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7FA075A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7FA075B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7LA018A&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6FA234A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6FA208A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...96IA065&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6FA108A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6FA108B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6LA027A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6LA027B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...95LA149&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5IA243A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA058A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA126A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5LA072A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...95IA095&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA383A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA383B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA119B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA119A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4IA075B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...94FA206&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...94LA151&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA102A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA060A&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA158A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA302A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA241A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA241B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA094A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA094B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA061A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...3FA061B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2MA049A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2MA049B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA086A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...2LA086B&rpt=fa
!
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA201A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA201B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA090A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0LA090B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA067A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...0FA067B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9IA168A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9IA168B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA133A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA133B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...89IA143&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...89IA144&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...89IA145&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...9FA135A&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8LA156A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8LA156B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA114A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA114B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA052A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8FA052B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8LA006A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...8LA006B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7FA296A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7FA296B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7LA167A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7LA167B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7LA028A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...7LA028B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6IA100A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...6IA100B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA247A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA247B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA261A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA261B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA176A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...5FA176B&rpt=fa

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA119B&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA119A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA038A&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...4FA038B&rpt=fa

I read somewhere once (and someone here will have the
exact figure, I'm sure) that if you put EVERY aircraft in America in
the air at once, they would still only occupy a few cubic miles of sky,
with ample air space in between aircraft.

I don't find that dubious statistic credible.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't keep your eyes outside, and that
weird stuff doesn't happen. We were flying over middle-of-no-where
South Dakota once when ATC called out traffic at our altitude (10,500
feet), on a converging course.

Thank you.

ATC told the other guy the same thing,
and we gradually merged into a single dot on ATC's radar. In the end,
we were talking to each other on Center frequency, trying to give each
other cues as to our location. ("I'm over that blue water tower at the
intersection -- you see that?")

Nothing worked. ATC eventually gave us different altitudes and
headings -- and we never did see each other. It was very, very
strange.

But, of course, the bottom line: We didn't hit.

That time. But what if relying on the 'big sky theory' for separation
had convinced you not to request Radar Traffic Advisory Service?

The "Big Sky" theory worked again.

No; prudence and Radar Traffic Advisory Service saved your lives.

The 'big sky theory' is for fools and "true believers."

Old May 6th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:17:02 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote in
::

Easy enough. As an old environmental biology professor once said to me:
"Dilution is the solution to pollution".

With all due respect, while that may be true for pollution, I don't
believe it is applicable to PROTECTION from a MAC.

What are the chances of another aircraft occupying the exact same airspace
at the exact same time as mine?

What are the chances of the cylinder containing a bullet? The only
way a Russian Roulette participant can be PROTECTED from blowing his
head off is if the cylinder is empty or the safety is on. Neither
analogy is available to airmen; there are always aircraft in the NAS.

That deems the 'big sky theory' irrelevant, in my opinion.

The odds go way up near natural collecting points ...

[Interesting antidotes snipped]

What you describe has nothing to do with PROTECTION and everything to
do with PROBABILITY. Thanks for the effort.

My point is, that there is no PROTECTION; if there were, there
wouldn't be any MACs.

And the 'big sky theory' is a fallacy. It's akin to the Tooth Fairy,
Easter Bunny, imaginary friends, ... Those who rely upon the 'big sky
theory to PROTECT them from a MAC are playing Russian Roulette.

-------------------

To further constrain the discussion of 'big sky theory,' here's a
definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_sky_theory

In aviation, the Big Sky Theory is that two randomly flying bodies
will likely never collide, as the three dimensional space is so
large relative to the bodies. Certain aviation safety rules are
based on this concept. It does not apply (or applies less) when
aircraft are flying along specific narrow routes, such as an
airport traffic pattern.

So the BST seems to have everything to do with probability, but very
little to do with protecting, guaranteeing, or indemnifying against a
MAC.

Additionally, the BST is flawed in that (as defined) it fails to
consider more than two aircraft in the air simultaneously.

Old May 6th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
Well, a mathematics professor will tell you - even a zero probability
event can occur if you give it enough of a chance.

A mathematics professor will tell you that while there's not that much
difference between an infinitesimally small probability and zero
probability, there is a difference. The zero probability event can't
occur.

-R

Old May 6th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
[Interesting antidotes snipped]

"Antidotes"? Well, I am a nurse. G

What you describe has nothing to do with PROTECTION and everything to
do with PROBABILITY. Thanks for the effort.

My point is, that there is no PROTECTION; if there were, there
wouldn't be any MACs.

Then it would be best for you to stay on the ground. Probability has everything
to do with my actions. I think about the probability of a good or bad outcome
and act accordingly. If I was looking for certainty then I would do nothing.
But I prefer to live a somewhat richer life than that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE