Dual Trim Switches?

Old September 30th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Dual Trim Switches?

Big John wrote in
:

Bertie

Have you contacted Old Rinebeck Aerodrome on the Hudson north of NYC.
They have lots of WWI birds that fly and other old airplanes and
engines. They might have the springs or know where you can get
original or aftermarket?

I was only joking!
Actually, there is a guy making replica vale springs. I really ought to
buy some as spares, but they;re over $100 each!

It's one weakness of the LeBLond and attempts to substitue with
everything from O-200 to Chevvy springs were abject failures. One guy
who has a few airplanes with LeBlonds and Ken Royces finally bit the
bullet and had a large batch made.

Also I saw someplace in my wanderings in some publication that there
is a outfit that will make springs to your specs. Ask around and look
on Internet and you may find the company.

Want to say they specialized in springs for race car engines????? so
you might follow that trail.

I'm assuming you are not worried about getting a certified engine that
old. Aren't there some waivers for parts that are no longer available
and that you can make?

I'll ask this week end if it looks like anyone can give good info and
advise.

Wonder if our 51 driver from up north is going to get gas money and
come to Ellington?

HEre's hoping! Surely everyone will throw in a couple of bucks just ot
hear it.

Was at an airshow a fe months ago that had a P-40 N doing a show. Looked
and sounded great and wa a nice change.

Bertie
Old October 1st 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Bertie

The "N" is what I flew.

If you had to hold on the ground very long even with cowel flaps open
coolent temp got hot no matter the idle RPM.

To prevent so many aborts due to an over temp they put a fire truck at
end of R/W. When you got to #1 if you were hot you motioned to the guy
in truck and he pulled a hose out and walked along leading edge of
wing and stuck hose in front of coolent radiator and turned water on.
You could see the temp go down it dissapated the temp so fast.

When you were in the green you motined him away and took runway and
rolled.

One time I was #1 and over temp. Motioned for water and the guy shook
his head and gave me a thumbs down which I took as no water left.

Was not about to abort so rolled. Just as I broke ground the Allison
quit ( Pulled throttle back and caught. I must have flown 10 miles
on the deck gettng coolent temp down before I quit shaking and started
to climb.

Looking back, wonder why more of us didn't kill ourselves ( Luck of
the Irish I guess???

Big John

************************************************** *****************8
Was at an airshow a few months ago that had a P-40 N doing a show.
Looked and sounded great and was a nice change.

Bertie

Old October 1st 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:32:10 -0500, Big John
wrote:

Was not about to abort so rolled. Just as I broke ground the Allison
quit ( Pulled throttle back and caught. I must have flown 10 miles
on the deck gettng coolent temp down before I quit shaking and started
to climb.

Cool... G

Thanks for sharing that!
Old October 1st 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Big John wrote in
:

[...]

Wow!

The intake was the large scoop under th espinner, right? So he had to spray
agains the back of th eprop?

Old October 1st 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Bertie

They had some kind of a hook shape on end of hose (which looked like a
garden hose) and hooked it on the lip of the scoop so water just went
down scoop. Nothing into prop.

This was of course in the summer time. Cooler Wx it was not needed.

In a prior posting there was comments on checking out in 51. Prior to
the 40 checkout, made 6-8 back seat landings in a T-6. Had to do that
prior to going solo. Probably a good technique for anyone checking out
in 40 or 51 today.

One more tonight. I spent a year as a AF Exchange Pilot with VF-23 a
F2H3 Navy Tail hook Sq.

Sitting in ready room and Exec came in and said who doesn't have their
flying time (4 hours for pay) for the month. I put my hand up and he
said ok you'll fly the Banshee tomorrow. I said is there a Pilots Hand
Book around and he said there must be and a search took place until
one was found. It was late in day so I took home and read after
dinner. Next morning a bird number was posted by my name and I got my
flying gear and went out to line and the crew chief talked me through
the pre flight. I then got in and he talked me through the starting of
both engines.

Took off and flew about an hour and a half feeling bird out (flew like
a T-33) and came in and landed (piece of cake). Taxied in to Sq
parking ramp and line chief met me and started making funny motions
with is arms. I stopped taxiing and he then picked up a chock and ran
up to bird and threw it under the wing. He then gave me the sig to
shut down which I did.

The crew chief came up kick in steps to cockpit and said the gear had
almost collapsed and the chock was in the stiff knee preventing it
from retracting. Got out and looked and strut was cocked abut 30
degrees.

After they inspected it they found that someone had left a wrench in
the wing section and it had shorted out the retract relay. My
introduction to Navy birds )

I need to go silent again. Let you and Dudley carry the load )

Take care.

Big John
********************************

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:58:01 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

----clip----

Wow!

The intake was the large scoop under th spinner, right? So he had to
spray against the back of th prop?

Old October 2nd 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

It might have cost a little more, but when you are spending, what,
over 200 AMU's to buy an airplane, should it not be possible to
include some design improvements that costs a little more, than take
the easy way out with nearly a dozen added (should be) unnecessary
drains?

They're not just unnecessary -- they're dangerous. That is 13
separate points of failure that should not be in that wing.

I've had several quick drains leak over the years -- one quite badly
-- now imagine 13 of them! All plumbing fittings, by their very
nature, will eventually leak. These will, too.

There's really no other way to put it: Cezzzna really screwed the
pooch with their wing design.

Our club's 172 SP had those drain points. As I recall, only 10 of them
were in the wing, with the other 3 on the cowling. I can only imagine the
pretzel fuel flow that made that many drains necessary. I agree with the
OP that suggested that Cessna's lawyers designed that aspect of their
planes.

Neil

Old October 3rd 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:56:00 GMT, "Neil Gould"
wrote:

[...]

AIUI, it's because they're bladders and folds on the bottom could
gather water. If it was a wet wing they wouldn't need as many, like
the older models.
Old October 3rd 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Clark" wrote

AIUI, it's because they're bladders and folds on the bottom could
gather water. If it was a wet wing they wouldn't need as many, like
the older models.

But they are wet wings, in question, AFAIK. Did you see the picture that
someone posted in a link? Each rib was forming a little damn that could
possibly trap a small amount of water, so a drain was installed to drain any
trapped water, in each bay.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 3rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

For what it's worth.

When I first checked out in an SP, the CFI told me Cessna had been
sucessfully sued when a pilot argued the tanks could not be sumped correctly
unless the aircraft was parked perfectly level.

Now you can drain the lowest point in the tank, no mater how or where you
park your SP.

Old October 4th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:50:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Peter Clark" wrote

AIUI, it's because they're bladders and folds on the bottom could
gather water. If it was a wet wing they wouldn't need as many, like
the older models.

But they are wet wings, in question, AFAIK. Did you see the picture that
someone posted in a link? Each rib was forming a little damn that could
possibly trap a small amount of water, so a drain was installed to drain any
trapped water, in each bay.

The airfraft in that link is a 1982 172P, not a new (post-restart)
172R/S, 182T, etc with bladders in the wings. It's been a while (and
the only older model 172 I've flown is an M model) but I thought the
pre-restart aircraft only had 2 sumps at the wing root and a stariner
drain pull-thingie in the oil door?

You have the same issue as that 172P with the Malibu. Since they're
wet wings, the only path water has to flow underneath the ribs is the
minute clearance between the ribs and the lower wing skin. At least
the Malibu has some pretty significant dihedral. But if the aircraft
hasn't been sitting for (I'm not going to try and test it) some large
number of hours, unless you're pumping in almost pure water I doubt a
significant sample of water would show up in the 1 sump at the wing
root from fueling during quick (1hr or less) refueling stops during
multi-leg flights.