GliderReview

Old January 1st 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Default GliderReview

Hello everybody,

considering:

- the feedback I received on this thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/w2vbVmjQ5K0

- posts who keep on being posted like this
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/7-IlL7BlrCw

- an amazingly boring Xmas

I decided to set this up:
http://www.gliderreview.com/

It aims to help answering the question "what glider should I buy?" by means of both editorial and crowdsourced content and rating.
It is not meant to be an exhaustive repository of every existing glider, but it will focus on the gliders who are most shown on classifieds website.

I hope you all will enjoy it and help reviews grow thicker.
I will keep on adding gliders in the next days and a glider comparator feature within a couple of weeks.

Happy new year to everybody.

--
Jacopo
Old January 1st 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

The Sailplane Directory already exists and anyone can make comments.

http://sailplanedirectory.com/sailplanes/
Old January 1st 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 10:26:23 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
The Sailplane Directory already exists and anyone can make comments.

http://sailplanedirectory.com/sailplanes/

Some of those comments are "interesting".
Jacopo's site has a much nicer format. Thanks.
Jim
Old January 1st 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

The comment description is mostly taken from the manufacture. But if you look at the "Review" it gives anyone the opurtunity to write a review. I did not start or have much control over the Sailplane Directory but I have been adding some of the newest gliders.

http://sailplanedirectory.com/sailplanes/hp-24/
Old January 1st 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 11:43:28 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
The comment description is mostly taken from the manufacture. But if you look at the "Review" it gives anyone the opurtunity to write a review. I did not start or have much control over the Sailplane Directory but I have been adding some of the newest gliders.

http://sailplanedirectory.com/sailplanes/hp-24/

The comments I'd mentioned were from the older version. The sailplane directory has been around for decades, and was the basis for the SSA directory. It had been heavily spammed and became unusable.
What you'll see now from the link Casey posted is new.
Jim
Old January 1st 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Jim. I believe this version has been around a little more than a year and it apaers usable to me. I am working with GREG to iron out a few issues with the default description. All anyone needs to do is have a WordPress account and simply sign in to leave a review or comment. I don't know how much easier it could be. I volunteered to help GREG out when I noticed that several models in the last few years had not been added. One page shows the last glider added and the home page has the search. I'm not knocking anyone's page. And I'm just having fun adding the newest of gliders. I plan to add the YouTube link of the the JS3 being described by Uys. I do believe the Sailplane Directory can capture very useful information of reviews if people would make comments and reviews.
Old January 1st 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

GliderReview requires *no login* to submit reviews.

Gliderreview will *never* try to be as exhaustive as Sailplane Directory. We are not even trying to serve the same segment. We are not a "glideopedia", we are a review tool.

GliderReview has a *very* specific focus: help the buyer understand what to buy.
I see no overlap.

If I was the owner of Sailplane Directory I would worry more about Wikipedia: all I know about looking for gliders online is that Wikipedia always come out first.

--
Jacopo
Old January 1st 17, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

=
[...]

https://www.j2mcl-planeurs.net/ a far more comprehensive
resource that rarely seems to get a mention.

Old January 1st 17, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Thank you Paul! Very nice website, again amazingly invisible among Google Search results. Thanks again for letting me know that.

My aim with GliderReview is to provide reviews to go beyond mere technical specifications. Apparently equivalent gliders may feature very different handling and flying behaviour. We want our reviews to provide crisp data along with fuzzy opinions.

Here is GliderReview's reason-why: http://www.gliderreview.com/about

Sailplanes all look too similar if you only read tech specs. Instead, when you talk with pilots, you discover a world of details and feelings that are never caught in tables.

Thanks again Paul,
ciao!
Old January 1st 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

IMHO, Jacopo has a great idea here and should be encouraged to build this info-base to address this very important, simple mission.

Jacopo- How will you organize, filter, weigh and display all this objective input? Is it worth considering working with a Wikipedida type of oversight?

Good Luck!