Discovery Flight today...unexpected results

Old February 10th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default Discovery Flight today...unexpected results

B A R R Y wrote:

It's also normal to shop a bit for an instructor you "click" with.
Since you'll spend a decent amount of time in close quarters, under
hot, cold, and stressful conditions, the relationship is important.

Go chat with some more guys and gals, and see how you feel with them.

Unless you just dislike the guy, it is also recommended to
talk to the instructor about your feelings and expectations.
Communication is a key ingredient (even requirement) between
CFI and student.

Sometimes too often I hear advice such as "go find another CFI.."
when in reality simply sitting down with your CFI to discuss
concerns and/or feelings can open up a whole new channel of
communication with each other. Potentially the CFI can develop
a new respect for a student because he sees they are serious
about their training, know what they want and are not afraid
to express themselves regarding their feelings, concerns and
expectations. The student does have a level of responsibility
to communicate with the instructor and the instructor has the
responsibility to respond to and accept the student. From
this relationship the learning process takes place.
Old February 10th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ONLINE

Hang in there. With the reasoning you've described, you'll get through
it. Notice I didn't say you'll get -over- it, to wit:

I've been a "new" pilot three times over the years: the first time as a
student pilot in 1963, the 2nd time returning to flying in 1978 after an
8 year hiatus, and again in 2000 after an 18 year break.

I can clearly remember each time having experiences like you describe:
serious nervousness, lots of sweat, a "death grip" on the yoke, even
shaking knees as I applied rudder inputs during turning maneuvers.
These symptoms gradually abated as I gained familiarity with the
environment and confidence in my abilities to manage it.

Such experiences have occurred at other times: the the first solo flight
(and a few more), during the practical (flight) exam for the license,
checkin out in a new airplane, even when taking the biennial flight
review. Although I don't -welcome- those feelings, I credit them with
helping me to be a good pilot by reminding me that it is my skill and
knowledge that makes for safe flying. And when I'm back on the ground,
the accomplishments of the flight, even dealing with the nervousness,
contribute to the enjoyment and satisfaction gained from the experience.

Keep flying; your dreams will be realized.

george
Old February 10th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Feb 10, 2:09*am, DGS wrote:

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? *At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. *Does this get
better? *Or worse?

This is an interesting post and I am glad you brought it up. It has
been years since I have made my living with primary students, but if
memory serves, this came up all the time. The trick is to replace the
unhealthy nerves with healthy concern. It IS normal to be at least a
little nervous (My most difficult students were a couple of guys who
were totally fearless). I have meet too many people who quit for years
because of a bad experience early on and then regreted it years later
after they finished up. Dont be one of those. Discuss your concerns
with the instructor and maybe try someone else if you two cannot make
things work. Good luck,
Frank

Old February 10th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"DGS" wrote in message

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. Does this get
better? Or worse?

I assume you were real nervous the first time you rode a bicycle without the
training wheels - but you have since fogotten. I'm sure you are glad you
learned to ride a bike, right?

Give it a while and you will probably forget how nervous you were on this
flight.

BTW - there is no problem shopping around for instructors - some will be
better for you than others.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old February 10th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 10, 10:09*pm, DGS wrote:

Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? *At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. *Does this get
better? *Or worse?

My experience matches yours exactly. I was horribly nervous and my
first solo was not enjoyable I was so nervous. Trust me the training
will gradually take over and the nerves subside as you get comfortable
with flying the 'plane. Avoid an instructor who always grabs the
controls or has his feet on the rudder all the time -it will slow you
down. I'd say, don't get an instructor younger than you are. While
most can fly well they just don't understand how your behavior and
learning processes change as you get older. You need a positive
learning environment -nothing is a problem if you have a desire to
learn and the right learning environment. The only time I'm nervous
now is in bad xwinds with shear.

Cheers
Old February 10th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Feb 10, 3:09*am, DGS wrote:
My flight instructer quickly introduced himself to me and did a very
short inspection of the plane. *He then told me that I would basically
be piloting the plane through take off, the cruise through the
practice area, and landing. *At that point I essentially broke out
into a cold sweat. *I was able to get the plane taxied and off the
ground, and never at any point did I make any real mistakes or have
any bad maneuvers...but I was clear EXTREMELY nervous...to the point
of sweating. *
Any feedback or experiences anyone can share? *At this point I'm
really torn about trying again, while on the other hand still not
necessarily ready to back down from the challenge. *Does this get
better? *Or worse?

You have described my first flight perfectly. Except on the takeoff,
I rotated early and we wound up sinking back onto the runway with the
wheels skidding sideways. Now that was exciting! Not a very
promising beginning. I spent the rest of the flight with a death grip
on the stick, trying to push my heart back down out of my throat. I
think my instructor realized that having me do the landing was not a
good idea because he didn't ask me to do it, and I was glad. Maybe he
was still shaken up by the takeoff.

I have dreamed of learning to fly my whole life. I expected it to be
fun and exciting when I finally got the chance to do it. It's very
disturbing and disappointing to discover that it's nerve-wracking and
scary. It makes you question yourself, and you feel like a failure
somehow. Like you are different from all those other guys out there
happily buzzing through the sky without a care in the world. Except
as you can see from all the responses you have gotten, your reaction
was totally normal. There is a big difference between simply riding
in an airplane and taking the controls and piloting it. And when you
have dreamed about something for so long, there is a huge emotional
resonance to it when you do it. It's a seriously important thing to
you, and you are scared to death that you might fail at it. That
magnifies and amplifies your nerves.

It took a lot of willpower for me to continue my lessons. Every time
I drove to the airport I had butterflies in my stomach. As I got more
time in the airplane, I got more and more comfortable. I am still
nervous, especially in landings, but it's not so overwhelming
anymore. The same thing will happen to you. You just have to endure
those feelings and get a few more lessons under your belt. Do it, and
you will feel glad that you didn't give in to the fear. And even
better, it will become fun.

Good luck to you.

Phil
Old February 10th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"DGS" == DGS writes:

DGS Any feedback or experiences anyone can share?

You've had some good responses. Hope you don't quit just yet. Many
things we do in modern life are not natural, and thus anxiety is a
normal response. It may be that you had more anxiety than an average
first-flight person. Well, this isn't Lake Wobegone where we're all
better than average! For me, public speaking invoked the anxiety you
had on your first flying lesson, and the cure was Toastmasters--just
practicing the activity repeatedly.

For a long time I had a low level of anxiety flying. Finally I
decided it was because I wasn't flying often enough. Buying my own
plane and flying a lot more removed that. That's not your case, but
the point is that there are ways around anxiety.

I've thought more than once: why continue an activity that caused such
a level of discomfort? But there's something about flying that hooks
you...I can't really explain it. After a couple of weeks not flying I
get a little ansy--and a flight cures it. Strange.
--
The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy.
~ Helen Hayes, age 83
Old February 10th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Hi all. I'm a 39 year old guy who has loved flying and dreamt of
being a pilot for a long time.

That says it all. Don't let a single bad experience ruin your dream.

It sounds like you went up on a bumpy, turbulent day, which can rattle
anyone. That feeling of being tossed around like a kite is still
uncomfortable, even after many years of flying.

Now that you've seen some bumps, you'll know what to expect on your next
flight. Explain this to your CFI, and try to make your next flight on a
calmer day -- you'll be amazed at the difference.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

By all means, pursue flying lessons, only not with that particular
instructor. Look around -- you'll find communicators and non-
communicators. Go for the former.

If you are not confident in the instructor, you'll never have
confidence in flying. Shop around.

Goo luck & good flying.

AJ
Old February 10th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 03:09:15 -0600, DGS wrote:

He then told me that I would basically
be piloting the plane through take off, the cruise through the
practice area, and landing. At that point I essentially broke out
into a cold sweat.

From what you wrote, I'd say that the instructor accidentally triggered an
anxiety attack in you. I'd give him credit for recognizing it, but it
sounds like he didn't respond with an effective way to deal with it.

As others have said, try it again with another instructor, if you can. And
discuss with him what happened on that first flight while you're still on
the ground.

--
Dallas