A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Grob drop off tail dolly

Old June 7th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

Default Grob drop off tail dolly

Has anyone modified one of the Grob pin and socket drop off tail dollies for use with a tow bar? I'm worried that the stresses from towing on uneven ground/grass may cause issues with cracking the socket portion in the fuselage. Of course building or finding a regular wrap around dolly is an option.
Old June 7th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 07:02:00 -0700 (PDT), Greg Delp
wrote:

Has anyone modified one of the Grob pin and socket drop off tail dollies for use with a tow bar? I'm worried that the stresses from towing on uneven ground/grass may cause issues with cracking the socket portion in the fuselage. Of course building or finding a regular wrap around dolly is an option.

True story: My late partner Morgan was staged for a contest launch in
our Astir-CS, and referring to the tailwheel hole in our customary
scatological manner, he said "Tape up my ***hole!" Unfortunately, he
had a hot mike...
Old June 7th 13, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 7, 2013 7:02:00 AM UTC-7, Greg Delp wrote:

Old June 12th 13, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 7, 2013 4:02:00 PM UTC+2, Greg Delp wrote:

Old June 12th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

Did the one you make have a wheel or wheels on the tow bar portion? That sounds like a good alternative.If the tow bar portion was strong enough to prevent any leaning of the post section it would evenly distribute all the stress along the entire wall of the socket in the tail.
Old June 12th 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi Greg! No wheel, the towbar is attached to the fuselage with the pin and the belt, then lifted onto the tow coupling of the car. Of course this does produce some stress on the bar and it has to be solid and well made (guess how I learned).
Old June 12th 13, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:04:13 AM UTC-7, Greg Delp wrote:
Did the one you make have a wheel or wheels on the tow bar portion? That sounds like a good alternative.If the tow bar portion was strong enough to prevent any leaning of the post section it would evenly distribute all the stress along the entire wall of the socket in the tail.

Greg,
The tow bar I made just attatches to the axle of the origninal 'Wheel-on-a-post'.